endometrial polyp

A place to share your life-changing experiences!

Moderators: Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Tamara

endometrial polyp

Postby bigbaby » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 am

Hi, it's my first time posting here. I have a pelvic/vaginal ultrasound scheduled for later this morning. I'm 56 and I had post menopausal bleeding and an endometrial polyp removed. I'm posting here because I'm scared as can be! My doctor's words... "Once we get the results of your u/s then we'll discuss future evalutation of your bleeding." He's determined to dig! Your way seems so much easier. Aside from this, I started having pains from my rib cage down to my vagina since the polyp removal, all on the right side. I feel that I need to do these evaluations to rule out cancer. Any help, suggestions, or support will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
bigbaby

Postby ShirleyD » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:23 am

As an endometrial cancer survivor I fully understand all your fears!! But, if there is a suspicion of endometrial/uterine cancer, please have the necessary testing done to rule in or out this disease. Endometrial cancer is the most common gynecological cancer and has a very high cure rate when caught in it's earliest stages. Fortunately my cancer was very early and I only required surgical intervention for treatment. If I can possibly answer any further questions you have about testing, etc. please don't hesitate to ask.
ShirleyD

Postby bigbaby » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm

Thank you Shirley. My u/s came back showing everything is normal so I'm hoping this is the end of the 'big dig'. Everything was nicely shriveled and small the way it all should be after menopause. My bleeding episode was most likely from the presence of the polyp. I'm feeling very grateful right now.
bigbaby

Postby ShirleyD » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:19 am

I am so happy to hear your good news :) Wish you continued good health!!!!
ShirleyD

Postby Tamara » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:58 am

So glad to hear that your results came back good! Glad to hear you are feeling better...
*~~Tamara~~*
Tamara

Postby bigbaby » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Even though my u/s was normal, my doctor insisted that I have a hysterosonogram which is a vaginal u/s where they put a saline solution into your uterus. I had this done today. It showed a slight thickening at the top of my uterus that did not show up on the regular u/s. It's so slight that he left it up to me as to how to proceed. He says it's probably a tiny remainder of the polyp or maybe another small polyp and in 80% of the time it all ends up being benign. He wants to do a hysteroscopy which is a d&c with a scope. He'll remove whatever it is that's there, if anything, and it will be sent to pathology. Now that I know that there's something there, I can't just leave it there. He's very relaxed about all this and wants me to go on vacation and we'll do this procedure in October sometime. Thank you all for listening.
bigbaby

Postby ShirleyD » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:51 am

bigbaby, sorry you have to endure another invasive procedure, but glad your doctor wants to leave no stone left unturned. Take care and wish you a final speedy resolution to this issue.
ShirleyD

Postby susan ellen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:44 am

just wanted to pipe in and say i'm in a similar situation. have had really heavy periods for the last year and had the hysterosonogram a few weeks back where they saw a fat polyp that has to come out. i've also had an endometrial biopsy which came back negative, but the polyp will some out and i'll have a d&c at the same time. i'm nervous and scared and very weepy (especially today) though, like your gyno, mine is confident it's all fine as apparently polyps are nearly always benign (especially at my age -- i'm 42...) but still. i'm scared. never had a surgical procedure before and it freaks me out.

i tried herbs and diet changes over the last year to help with the bleeding. some herbs helped alot but now that i know there's an actualy polyp in there, i'm just scared.

damn.

thinking of you, bb. please know you're not alone.

susan
susan ellen

Postby ShirleyD » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:54 am

Dear Susan sending you a hug since I can fully understand how frightened you are. Prior to my endometrial cancer diagnosis and all that testing and then surgery that followed, the only invasive procedure I had in my life previously was a tonsilectomy at age 5. And believe me, I hated every Gyn exam I had since my first at age 21. Plus I am an R.N., and that made the situation worse because nurses tend to be not the best patients because we have a habit when ill of recalling all the horror we have witnessed in our work lives and project it onto ourselves. To help get me through what I had to go through, I really had to examine what exactly I was afraid of. I realized my greatest fear was not of cancer or pain, it was anesthesia. So I gave a good nurse anesthetist friend of mine a call and she gave me the play by play anesthesia procedure that completely calmed my nerves and eliminated my fear of this procedure. Also, what I found most helpful was locating a web site related to gynecological issues that has a forum for women who have had, are currently in the treatment process, or are in the testing process for gynelogical cancers. These Sisters got me through the worst part of my ordeal. I do not feel at liberty to post the site here, but if you type a search using words such as gynelogical cancer and hysterectomy support forums you should be able to find it.

Susan, not sure if what I posted has been of help to you, but know that this very frightened nurse made it through much poking, prodding, cutting, and immediate surgical menopause; and today as hard as it is to believe, I feel better and stronger mentally and physically that I did before my cancer diagnosis:)
ShirleyD

Postby susan ellen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:48 pm

hi shirley:

thank you for the time you took to write this. frankly, just like you, the part that scares me the most is, in fact, the anesthesia. that's exactly it. i have had an endometrial biopsy already and had the hysterosonogram so it's clear what we're dealing with. my uterine lining looked fine, biopsy fine...all okay save for that damn dangling polyp. having spent the last year trying herbal/diet approaches to dealing with the heavy bleeding, i'm feeling as though i have to get the polyp removed as the bleeding is intense. (and, from what i've been told, the polyp though now is a benign thing, it can apparently become malignant later on.) it does feel invasive to me, though, and i still do wish there was an alternative to the procedure. (anyone with ideas and/or thoughts, please feel free to chime in!) i have been searching on the internet for ideas, but haven't really found anything yet.

in the meantime, i am still using herbs which i find comforting and know that any time between now and 10/3, i, of course, can change my mind. we will see. but, again, thanks for your words because the anesthesia part does freak me out. (and, interestingly, my mother is a nurse so i know she has added anxiety for me because of that as well.)any more thoughts on it i wold be happy to hear.

thanks again.

susan
susan ellen

Postby bigbaby » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi Sue Ellen,

I am facing the same thing. I'm waiting for the doctor's office to confirm my hysteroscopy for October 16. Like you, I had a hysterosonogram which showed my uterine lining to be fine. However, my polyp was already removed because it was visible from my cervix. It was removed by twisting it. The path came back benign. A hysterosonogram showed a thickening at the top of the uterus which he believes is the rest of the polyp or a new polyp. This is the problem with blindly removing the polyp without the aid of a scope. Though he doesn't seem too concerned, they always use the 'c' word when you're into menopause and there's the belief that all post menopausal bleeding be treated as if it were cancer until ruled out. I also fear the anesthesia but I console myself by the fact that it's only a half hour procedure. You'll barely be out before you're awake again.

I wish you good luck, Sue Ellen. And to Shirley D... thank you for all your words of support. This is all part of being a woman of a certain age. ARRGHHHH!!!!!
bigbaby

Polyps

Postby jsiplon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:41 am

Hi I'm a new member and have recently been diagnosed with Endometrial Polyps...surgery is scheduled for Sept. 14. My question is about recovery...how long? how intense? I too am worried more about the Anthesia than the procedure...petrified.
Thanks for the info
Jan
jsiplon

Postby Riverine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi jsiplon, I don't have full answers for you, but I will say that I wish I'd known more about liver-supporting herbs when I had my laparoscopy last year. After your surgery, do what you can for your liver, to help it clear all those meds from your system.

Luck....
Riverine

Postby jsiplon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks Riverine, they have me on iron supplements right now because of the amount of blood loss and i'm a little concerned about that as well, excess iron can be so toxic. I'm taking about 325 mg of Ferrous SO4...any thoughts on this? The little bit that I know about this is that it tends to build up in the liver etc.
jsiplon

Postby Fi » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi. I'm new here having just had my polyp diagnosed today. Not sure at all what I am going to do javascript:emoticon(':?')- not even seen a gynaecologist yet, so it's very early days for me. I also would like to know if anyone has anything to say about recovery times though, and any other information welcome. Thanks.
Fi

Next

Return to Menopause Metamorphosis