my aching hips and sleepless nights

A place to share your life-changing experiences!

Moderators: Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Tamara

my aching hips and sleepless nights

Postby pamala » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 pm

I have been dealing with intense pain in my hips that worsens at night and keeps me tossing and turning all night long. I am 50 years old and definetely launched into menopause. I am really athletic and refuse to cut back on my activity level--I'd rather go down fighting!!! I am open to any and all suggestions. I am working with a good body worker but can't seem to find relief. I dread sleeping but am so tired. :(
pamala

Re: my aching hips and sleepless nights

Postby Moonfully Yours » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Pamela,
I'm 30 and I've had hip pain for the past several years sporadically. I've read that hip pain can be an indicator of the 2nd chakra being out of balance; but I've not seriously explored chakra/meditative practices so I'm not real sensitive in this kind of perception just yet. Sounds like your very healthy and fit, so arthritis would be easy to rule out, yah? At any rate I wish you to find a swift solution and please pass on your findings as you go! ~
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
~Anais Nin
Moonfully Yours

Postby sapphire kate » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Where do you feel the pain? In the ligaments/tendons? Or deep in the joint? Any grinding or scraping sensation? Pain on touch? Pain on movement?

What's your diet like?

There are lots of good strategies for dealing with sore joints, but I think it's good to be clearer about what is going on.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby juliett » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:40 pm

how interesting. I too have pain in my hip now. I'm on the verge of menopause, (in perimenopause in other words). I walk a number of miles a day and do gardening and work in the woods a lot. I haven't been able to figure out what the pain is from. It must be connected with perimenopause though as it's new and out of the blue. Interesting! I wonder if others have this?
j.
juliett

Postby juliett » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm

I've been thinking about this. It must be that as our uterus goes through changes either our energy down there changes or even our muscles, tendons etc change and adjust? I wonder if other women get back aches? another way of looking at it, as the other person did, is that our chakras are adjusting to the changes in our uterus?
In any case, what to do about it. that I don't know. meditation? chiropractic? probably, I assume anyway, that it will change as my body adjusts over time.
juliett

Postby Cat of the Moonlit Wood » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:53 pm

I also have intense hip pain. It hurts to walk, and wakes me up all night. Both sides. I have fibromyalgia and osteoporosis, but not sure it's from either of those. My doctor thinks it's from the lowering levels of estrogen that are normal for my age. (43). But, it hurts like a mutha! And I wish I could relieve it somehow. I sometimes rub on some St Johns Wort oil or tincture, or arnica gel, but nothing helps.
Cat of the Moonlit Wood

Postby juliett » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 pm

I was doing arnica oil (with ??? in it, jasmine I think it was) and then a heating pad. worked well. very soothing. I also found I was sitting with both knees pointing one way, so now I make sure I also sit with both knees pointing the other way, less stress (?) from always having them pointing in one direction. I'm also very serious about my shoes. I'm careful and only wear shoes that feel very good. for some reason my hiking boots work very well for my hips. obviously I can only wear them sometimes though. I'm not doing stretches or yoga anymore. maybe I should be but I think my hips need soothing and calming energy not stretching type energy. I do move a lot though and need to, I just love it so much. I have noticed I'm more sore after sitting at the computer so I then figured out I tend to stretch my legs out in front of me (up on a platform under the table) so now I sit with my feet on the floor.
I guess besides the arnica oil and the heating pad what I've tried to do is notice how I move, sit, lie and when do I hurt the most, then I notice what I did just before that. It has worked quite well for me.
I wonder if a pillow under your knees would help at night? I can no longer sleep on my stomach and I no longer use a pillow for my head. I do like having my knees bent, I think that's true all day and night as well.
hope this helps.
I'd love to continue hearing from others. this is one of those things that people don't talk about! it's not in any books I've read anyway.
j.
juliett

Postby peacemeal » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:28 am

Hi all,
This is my first posting and am pleased to be a part of something bigger; connecting with other women!
I was drawn to the question of hip pain as it is real for me as well, especially on one side. I've had chiropractic and massage work and have pretty much been told that it is due to tight muscles, not structural issues per se. After adjustments by the chiropractor, the hip pain remains....A neuromuscular massage therapist is my next avenue, to get at deep tightness. I'm 60 and walk and garden a great deal and have had to learn to move differently as I age. I've been post menopausal for about 5 years after a prolonged process. I find, too, that my other muscles and tendons can hurt easily and wonder systemically about my overall health. I've just begun exploring herbal remedies to increase my overall health and am paying more attention to my body. Psychically and emotionally, I think it's about change and how we handle it in the PM years. So, no real answers but simply thoughts about the changes. Self love!
Peacemeal
peacemeal

Postby juliett » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

peacemeal, how long have you had this pain in your hip? it's so interesting to me that a number of us have this pain now. I'm sure it's from tight muscles, pulling on ligaments or tendons, inflamation probably as well...but why now?! so curious!
j.
juliett

Postby pogostemon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:32 am

Hi Peacemeal.
I too have noticed this ache/pain in my hips that you describe.
I have found that heat works to relieve the pain but lately have discovered that if I eat less wheat products that I don't have the pain as much.
I've not cut out wheat altogether, I still eat a little of the wholegrain and seed bread that I make myself and that seems to be ok.
I discovered that as I have begun my perimenopausal journey, my body reacts differently to different foods. I'm learning to eat what nourishes me and makes me feel good.
Not sure if that would be helpful to you but it seems to be working for me right now.
Love
Pogo :)
xxx
Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art
pogostemon

Postby LadyB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 am

Goodness!
I have a tendency to 'torque' my left hip in particular out of whack, mostly from 'foot-on-shovel' gardening for too long. Interesting how many of you mentioned gardening.
Interesting too how no one has yet mentioned Solomon's Seal (tincture and/or oil) or Comfrey infusions (which is supremely lubricating for joints and makes bones stretchy-strong, not chalky). If you all feel it's muscle-related, the St J's oil should really be a daily thing.

I'm finding gardening (I do it still for a living) is taking more of a toll on my body since I've stopped bellydancing (hopefully just for awhile). THAT was quite the workout for the HIPS, along with a magnificent AWARENESS of one's hips. You might really want to think about that. Give yourself a little time to sling a skirt BELOW your hips and move them freely (but gently). You're metamorphosizing into a whole NEW BODY.

Allow for RIPE.

LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
http://www.ladybarbara.net
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby LadyPinon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm 62 and started waking up in the middle of the night with hip pain that didn't seem to be connected to anything I'd done that day. Chiropractic, acupuncture and massage helped but didn't "cure" it. Nothing seemed to work until in total desperation I gave up gluten just for the heck of it, not really expecting it to be the answer. The first thing that happened was my depression disappeared. Poof. Gone. At the time, I had no idea it was connected to gluten and was surprised by that wonderful benefit. Then after a couple of weeks the nightly hip pain disappeared too!

Now when my hips ache, it's because I did something, like gardening, and at least for now, that's OK with me because it feels like pain I earned.

Blessings

Judy
LadyPinon

Postby raven21 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 pm

aaaah, what a relief to hear it is not unusual and there are others indeed who endure this peculiar symptom (for want of a better word).
I went through a stage where I was awoken by agonising hip pain (usually pre-menstrual I noticed) and feeling very restless and bothered. It was most uncomfortable and not related to any activity, but thankfully went after some homeopathic treatment.
cheers
raven
raven21

Postby Tn. earthmama » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:20 am

Wow, I didn't know this hip pain was so common. I have had deep, rather severe pain in my hips(left worse than right) since my late teens. I am about to be 57 on Fri. I was told through the years that it was stress(don't think I ever had an illness that wasn't attributed to stress, :roll: ). I too have fibromyalgia, CFIDS, and early osteo in my hips. hot baths help, and I have found that valerian before bedtimes helps with the pain and lets me sleep.
hope you can find relief soon. blessings Phyllis
Tn. earthmama

Postby jwolfhawk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi
sorry about your aching hips. Have your tried Vit D about 2000 units a day. I thought I could get away with not taking it in August anD Sept since I was out in Sun. I had vit d test with my thyroid test around nov and vit d was real low. My Dr scolded me and said we are too far from equator in the North here to get enough sun and etc. I have hip repl on one hip and my left sometimes bothers me so I really have to try and keep my bones etc strong. My left hip was aching quite a bit in fall and summer. Started taking 5000 units of d as dr said and in 2 weeks even with cold weather it hasn't started hurting again. Maybe it is coincidence but I think it worked , will probably decrease to 2000 soon. It is worth a try, D is reasonably priced. Also, I use a rice pack heated about 2 to 5 min in microwave. I put the rice pack on my hip or back if it is aching. Just buy some cheap white rice about 2 to 4 lbs and put in pillow case and tie into knot and then another case to avoid leakage. They are great to ease muscle aches and keep you warm in cold weather. Also I am using Ruta Gravelous , homeopathic remedy, good for hips and back. Start with 6x, health stores mainly carry 30 c. YOu want to start with 6x and work up to a 30 c. If you can get a homeopath to advise you on dosing and remedies appropriate for you it would be best. I always have to call my friend who is experienced in homeopathy to get advice. But it has and is a life saver with chronic ortho problems. Hope any of this helps. jwolfhawk
jwolfhawk

Next

Return to Menopause Metamorphosis