Arnica Flowers

Green Witch, Green Allies, Spirit & Practice of the Wise Woman Tradition, and ABC of Herbalism ...Sister students, there is so much for us to learn together. Have any questions? Puzzled by something and need some help? Here is the place to share...

Moderators: Joanne, Wise Woman

Arnica Flowers

Postby IShaffer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:51 am

What should whole dried Arnica Flowers look like?

I just received a pound that I ordered and they were obviously harvested past the end of flowering, and were going to seed. Does this mean they are not good to use for infusing in oil?

My aim is to make an Arnica salve and I need to discver what form of Arnica is the best to use.

Ilene
Peace is not found, it is learned.
IShaffer

Postby Joanne » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:49 pm

Hmm...I purchased some on the east coast once on vacation when I needed them for a compress and I order them usually from Mountain Rose. They are yellow-golden (not as yellow as calendula) and I have gotten more dried flower-petals than gone to seed. have you called the place that you ordered from? I place the flower in oil--cold presed virgin olive to make oil. Add contents of a couple Vitamin E capsules to prevent oil from going rancid or bad. Keep out of sun in cool darker place (like a cupboard) where the jar doesn't sweat and cause moisture.

Hope this helps. You can also keep the flower on hand to make compresses/poultices when you sprain an ankle or other sprains, swelling (not on broken skin/wounds). arnica infused with witch hazel on bruises, sprains,swelling, etc...is good too.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi
Joanne

Arnica Flowers

Postby IShaffer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Hmmm..mine are more brown than yellow and more gone to seed than dried petals. I ordered them from a supplier I haven't used before and think they probably were harvested later than they should have been. This makes me wonder about their effectivness.

I wanted to get them from Mountain Rose but they were out of stock. Live and learn, hey?

Thanks for your reply.
Peace is not found, it is learned.
IShaffer

Postby Joanne » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi,

Can you contact the seller and explain your dissatisfaction? They should be able to make it right, exchange, offer credit or something....just hear you at the very least. I ordered from some place once and got plant with dried worms...oh great...so i called and they did apologize and sent out fresh right away. I also heard that the company was sort of restructuring at the time (spreading themselves too thin) and had ignored their product quality and needed to get back on track--which I guess they did eventually as they are a big herb supplier; but since then, I use others like Mountain Rose, and a few I learned about at conferences.
Or, luckily for me, I can grow or harvest my own.

There is also a store here that sells so little bulk herb that the herbs in their jars have been there for at least 3 years....(no smell, no energy, not much color...or activity)......but they won't get fresh until that sells...duh.

So, I can understand your disappointment.....
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi
Joanne

Return to Wise Woman Classroom