Infertility - male and female factor

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

Infertility - male and female factor

Postby Lendytaylor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 pm

We have female and male factor infertility. We have tried for several years now, no success. I have been getting weekly acupuncture for, going on 2 years now, also doing the Chinese herbs. My partner got acupuncture sporadically, but wasn't that committed to it. He was also supposed to take the herbs the acu gave him, but he got lazy about that. He had surgery to correct varicocles (varicoce veins in the testicles that can choke off sperm supply). After surgery, his doctor said in a few months, his low morphology would improve - but it has only improved a tiny fraction.

He has a few extra pounds and also gets tired constantly and sleeps a lot. He gets shots for allergies. I am not sure what is causing his sperm problems. The allergy shots? He does not consume alcohol or smoke. His doctor also gave him drugs to increase his testosterone levels; he takes those drugs, but it makes his hair loss more severe.

I turned 40 recently and feel like we are running out of time now. We had a few failed IVFs already. The last one was a donor egg IVF from a 22 year old donor, so I feel the failure must be in part because of his poor sperm quality. However, our RE always blame either my uterus or the donor's egg. But, my ob/gyn confirmed over and over again that my uterus is normal.

I've talked to many over 40 women who got pregnant naturally...but usually, they were not struggling with male factor infertility.
Lendytaylor

Postby MBuck » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 am

My husband had severe sperm agglutination. He was told he could never have children by 2 doctors and that there were no drugs to help the condition.

I did some internet research and found that Vitamin C could help. He started taking supplements, and by month #3, I was pregnant.

I don't have any fertility problems, and he didn't have anything other than the agglutination ("sticky sperm"), so I know it's not the same issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there!
Melissa
MBuck

Postby Lendytaylor » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. My husband does not often seem that motivated try to improve his sperm situation. Its frustrating. He does want children. But I think he lies to me about taking his vitamins and supplements, and herbs.
Lendytaylor

Postby karen joy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I hear Oatstraw infusions can help increase testosterone levels, though do not know if this will help fertility. It sounds more a couple issue, of you two having different wants or levels of wants and motivation or ideas on how to reach them. This is tough. I really feel for you if you wish a child and think if only your husband tried harder you might have one. It is so challenging when something we want to badly depends on another, worse so when it can only be one other, and that person is not in the same boat.

My love to you, just wanted to share how I feel for you.
Karen Joy
...You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves...

from "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver
karen joy

Postby Lendytaylor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks for understanding :)
Lendytaylor

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!