Urethra itching

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

Urethra itching

Postby luv2create » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi. I'm new to this forum and could sure use some educated advice. Have seen a doctor about this with no resolution and am now headed to a derm doc for more. Problem: itchy private area not vaginally associated. On and around the urethra opening and on skin surrounding it only. Has been going on now for about 11 months and is making me looney! Internal med doc has biopsied tissue on urethra with no conclusion. Have been using topical steroid cream for months with limited success (for hours at a time only). Itching worst in morning upon awakening and at night at bedtime. Measured urine PH is about 7.25 (slightly alkaline). Appears to be no yeast or viral or bacteria present on biopsied tissue. HELP!! Thanks.
luv2create
luv2create

Postby cory su » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Have you tried any herbal oils or salves? Maybe plantain oil?
cory su

Postby luv2create » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:29 pm

No, I haven't tried any of those remedies. While I am able to control the itching with the steroid cream I am more concerned about the cause. The initial diagnosis was lichen planus (sp), however, months later the skin biopsy ruled that out. I just don't believe this problem is of skin source, but, rather something maybe internal. Thanks for your suggestion, though.
luv2create
luv2create

Postby Jules876 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:44 pm

A little baking soda in a warm bath might provide some temporary relief. You could try drinking a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water too. I recently cured a UTI by eating garlic but it sounds like you've already ruled that out. Have you seen a urologist?
Jules
Jules876

Postby luv2create » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi

Hi. No, I haven't seen a urologist nor been referred to one either. My doc hasn't diagnosed a UTI, either. She referred me to a dermotologist which I haven't yet seen but do have appt. I've no other symptoms of a UTI--just the itching which is sometimes stimulated by urination...but not always. Again, there is no vaginal association/involvement that I or doc can ascertain. Is it possible to have a UTI with only itching as a sympton?? Am happy to try the garlic if that is the case. Thanks very much for the information.
luv2create
luv2create

Postby metis woman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Homeopathic Cantharis should help...
metis woman

Postby luv2create » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Have never heard of this...can you be more specific? Thanks!
luv2create
luv2create

Postby metis woman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Cantharis helps with symptoms where there is irritation and burning...
One of my daughters had symptoms like that and I gave her Cantharis30C which cleared it right up...
A homeopath once told me that it can stop a uti in its tracks.
metis woman

Postby luv2create » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 am

Thanks very much. I think I better try it despite no evidence of a UTI. Just the endless itching that only is kept at bay with twice daily applications of a .5% steroid cream that I've been using for many months now. Doesn't heal or totally stop it but will keep it in check for about 8 to 12 hrs.
luv2create
luv2create

Postby HugsnKisses » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:34 am

Hello; I just wanted to throw my two cents out there. Have you changed laundry detergent or bought different panties lately? I know that a change in soap or even the location of the seams in the unders and in some jeans , has my skin crawling (and in the same area you are speaking of)- kinda like when your hand "falls asleep" that tingly itchy feeling. I know you want to find out what is causing it, this can be ruled out by simply going without undies for a few hours to see if itching stops then put them back on. I probably shouldn't use the following in the area but it always brings immediate relief, and I dilute it because we use on scrapes, mouth sores, rashes etc. I mix 2 droppersful of plantain tincture, 2 droppersful of Calendula tincture and 2 droppersful Chamomile in a clean 2oz spray top bottle then top off with distilled water. If you have broken skin from scratching it does smart but only for a moment.
Good luck and God willing it is something simple.
Deanna
Deanna aka HugsnKisses
"Trust your natural instincts"
HugsnKisses

Postby crystal woman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:14 am

HugsnKisses beat me to it, I was just going to ask you if you wear undies or PJ's in bed and to suggest that you not wear anything covering your nether regions for a few days to see if that makes a difference. Is it possible for you to just wear skirts for a few days with no underwear, so that whole area can breathe?

Also, you can try sunlight treatment to see if that helps. That means finding a private spot outside, or a sunny window inside where you can lie for 15 - 20 minutes in the sun and expose it fully to sunlight. If the sunlight and/or air helps then it's possible you have a fungal infection that's effecting just that one part of your body.
crystal woman

Postby RinaWhiteStar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 am

hello Luv2create,

if it were me i would stop using the steroïd cream.It can make things sometimes (beïng mild here ;) :) ) makes things more worse than better.
I'm not familair with homeopathic Cantaris.

I would go for the Plantain (but that's just me),Plantain has cooling,antimicrobal,antiviral and antimucus properties,is mild anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.You could try the tincture as HugsnKisses suggested and delute it the way she does,or you could make a strong tea (not a decoction or infusion) by making a tea from the leaves,let that sit several hours,while it does it also cools down,and use it straight that way to rinse the earea where it itches...

wear White underwear without colors...It's possible you react on the chemicals which is used to color fabrics and where underwear is made from,

wear Cotton undies,no no to nylon and such,
Your skin has to Breath hm? ;)

Never use soap when washing the delicate private area ;) Best is splashing and rinse with water.When it is realy worse even that can hurt.Than you can try something else,Dead Sea Salt...Bring some water to boilling point,let that cool down to body temp,add some Dead Sea Salt in this,and if you have it on hand,two or three drops Propolis tincture and stirr gently with your hand,than use a washingcloth,don't sqeeze this,but rinse and wash the delicate area with it...Do this a few day and see what it does...the Dead Sea Salt helps cleaning and desinfecting the skin and has healing properties so does Propolis...

the delicate Skin in this area needs help to heal...Honey :) Sounds crazy perhaps but Honey will help Healing the skin ... just a little on your fingers and Yently massage the honey over the area where it is so itching...

you also might take a look to the Cloth Pad's you use? Don't know which Cloth Pads you use or tampons?

As CW allready suggested,wearing no underwear for a few days so that your skin can breath would be great.But if that's not possible or you feel embarrising to do that there's another option :)
Man's Underwear...Sorry guys but the Boxer Shorts are realy perfect for us too (sometimes ;) ) :D

Strings which lots of woman seems to wear these days can also costs us some trouble...try to avoid them too...

also you've said the itching is been stimulated by urination...This can mean because urine is Hot,so the Heath? Also urine can be acid,salt...To much intake,to much output hm? ;)

and ....maybe worth to take a look to the Chakra? It's the Root Chakra where the urinary passages settles hm?Often when the skin itches it gives a burning/burned feeling,to cool this down to normal again it's maybe worth to take a look into the emotional part to hm? ;)
Maybe it's also worth to take a look in Ayurveda dietery ?

sorry for the long post,and for sometimes maybe not the correct writing,

not only finding what causes it,but Nourishing Yourself and relaxing helps Healing,

if it were me i would get rid of the steroid cream and more try to Nourish the delicate area,

Hopes you'll find something here or elswere that will help you.You might think you're allone in this but that isn't so...Many Woman have this but don't talk about it.They often feel to shy to talk about it.And think they're doïng something wrong...

I have much Respect for you to bring this issue to an open forum and to talk and speak free about it.And i hope it will help and give confidence to other woman who also walks around the Mother with this and are to much affraid,or embarrased to talk or speak about it or to ask for help,

love,Rina :)
If you have a garden and a library,you have everything you need,
* Cicero*

'when you take the dirt out,make sure you have a place for it'
*Twylah Nitsch*
RinaWhiteStar

Postby Barb5210 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:04 am

When I went for fertility treatment I mentioned this to the doc.
He stated in my case my low estrogen caused the itching
(which drives me nuts) :(
I may try the baking soda idea.....hydrocortisone cream otc
helps some....
I ordered Kris (dreamseeds) yoni balm which is so
soothing....I put in on before bed .......

Good Luck!

Barb
Love is a memory no one can steal.
Still learning and discovering everyday.
Barb5210

Postby luv2create » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Thanks so-o much to each of you for your suggestions. Am very appreciative of your insight. Seems I've tried all the usual things (no underwear, no soap for cleaning the area, changing detergents, etc.) to no avail. Had no idea many suffer from this particular problem since it doesn't involve the vaginal area which is more common. I suppose it could be associated with low estrogen since I had a complete hysterectomy about 19 years ago and have been on estradial since then. Am down to a minuscule amount now...just enough to keep the hot flashes away. However. I've never heard of too little estrogen causing itching in an area outside the vaginal track. Think I might give up the steroid cream as suggested and try the plantain thing for I can't believe it is healthy to continue to use steroids indefinitely. Meanwhile, I need to get to the bottom of this insidious itch!! The initial diagnosis was lichen planus but then the biopsy ruled that out with no diffinitive diagnosis.
luv2create
luv2create

Postby Barb5210 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 am

I am so ((( sorry ))) your still dealing with this problem.
I hope relief is on the way soon.
I have had bouts freq as well. The itching is so painful even
my labia gets swollen. I use sitz baths from time to time.
When I did my ivf I was on estrogen patches. Within a week
the itching was gone. Now I know we all cant live on estrogen
but I think I will take another look as bioidentical hormone
replacement (using plant based estrogen)
the thought of itching like this for the next 30 or so years
makes me nuts.

Good luck and plz let us know how your doing!

Barb
Love is a memory no one can steal.
Still learning and discovering everyday.
Barb5210

Next

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!