oral lichen planus

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

oral lichen planus

Postby Patchouli » Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 am

Does anyone have any info on how to help with this problem? I felt a ridge on the inside of my mouth on one side and thought it was from extensive dental work done last year or from adding too much ginger to my morning veggie juicing. When I went to the dentist he said it looks like lichen planus and seems to fit the description. I have searched on line but cannot find any good info on anything natural to do for it. Hopefully someone on the forum has experienced this? Thanks
patchouli
Patchouli

Postby karen joy » Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Patchouli, I have not experience this though have heard others with this concern. At this point it is my opinion that it is another of those labels that fit some similar appearances and the lack of any better label to offer. It seems it is one's own reaction to some unknown irritant and not a bacteria to combat. In this case I would look to stress, physical, mental, emotional. It is common for it to occur after major dental work, after some lag time. Am I remembering correctly that you used to get facial shingles? If not, my apologies. If so, I would definitely think your face/head may be where you carry stressful reactions...

If it were me I would look first to stress, than at this point work with Nettle leaf infusions for some time.

Karen Joy
...You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves...

from "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver
karen joy

Postby Patchouli » Fri May 23, 2008 8:33 am

So kind of you to respond, thank you so much. Good points and yes I have had shingles altho only once on face have had it 3 times LOL. I am taking a probiotic daily and also using a baking soda mouth rinse that I made and using a Tom's toothpaste with no SLS or fluoride. Just for the heck of it added lysine to the usual B complex etc. Yes it could be stress, between my little dog's illness and my husband recently being hospitalized you could say I am stressed out ;) Its not in the area where I sometimes find myself biting my cheek.When dentist said I may have to have a biopsy I thought I would faint altho he did say he thinks its lichen planus. I figured if its still there when I go back for a dental cleaning perhaps I will let them do their little test which is not invasive I think its just a swab of some kind. Unfortunately I get panic attacks so easily about things like this altho in other situations I can be amazingly nonchalant compared to other people. Thanks again for the ideas :)
Patchouli [quote="karen joy"]Hi Patchouli, I have not experience this though have heard others with this concern. At this point it is my opinion that it is another of those labels that fit some similar appearances and the lack of any better label to offer. It seems it is one's own reaction to some unknown irritant and not a bacteria to combat. In this case I would look to stress, physical, mental, emotional. It is common for it to occur after major dental work, after some lag time. Am I remembering correctly that you used to get facial shingles? If not, my apologies. If so, I would definitely think your face/head may be where you carry stressful reactions...

If it were me I would look first to stress, than at this point work with Nettle leaf infusions for some time.

Karen Joy
Patchouli

Lichen Planus

Postby goatgal » Fri May 23, 2008 9:05 am

Many years ago DH had this and both dentist and dermatologist kind of shrugged and said live with it. I went to the library and did some research and found the reference to stress. There was also mention of a research experiment in India using oil of bismuth. Hmmm, that's the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol. Yes, I know, not very herbal or natural. But, I had him swish the pink stuff in his mouth a couple of times a day, hold it in his mouth as long as he could stand it, then spit. It cleared up in about 2 weeks. And this a malady that the drs had said he would probably always have.
goatgal

Re: Lichen Planus

Postby Patchouli » Fri May 23, 2008 10:03 am

What a great idea, thank you. Funnily enough was recently reading that the bismuth in Pepto Bismol is the best thing for gastric ulcers compared to all the other anti acids that are used. Won't hurt to give it a try, I guess deep down I am scared that its mouth cancer or something =:0 Btw did your DH have any noticeable problems with the LP? Mine is hardly noticable altho sometimes if I swish certain things around that area it feels abit "touchy" but otherwise I wouldn't know it was there if they hadn't told me or unless I ran my tongue over it and realized it was there. Patchouli [quote="goatgal"]Many years ago DH had this and both dentist and dermatologist kind of shrugged and said live with it. I went to the library and did some research and found the reference to stress. There was also mention of a research experiment in India using oil of bismuth. Hmmm, that's the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol. Yes, I know, not very herbal or natural. But, I had him swish the pink stuff in his mouth a couple of times a day, hold it in his mouth as long as he could stand it, then spit. It cleared up in about 2 weeks. And this a malady that the drs had said he would probably always have.[/quote
Patchouli

Postby goatgal » Fri May 23, 2008 2:17 pm

He just complained that the area was "different" feeling, maybe a little more coarse than the surrounding tissue. He said he was aware of it all the time and found himself running his tongue over it. No pain, just a different sensation.
goatgal

Postby Patchouli » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Just an update. A biopsy verified oral lichen planus. What worries me is that oral surgeon said its autoimmune and I may get other autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis/lupus etc, he also said I may get lichen planus on my body too so I am abit concerned. I know that IF it is auto immune I must avoid certain herbs? Thanks again
patchouli
[quote="goatgal"]He just complained that the area was "different" feeling, maybe a little more coarse than the surrounding tissue. He said he was aware of it all the time and found himself running his tongue over it. No pain, just a different sensation.
Patchouli

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!