infection inside a tooth near the root

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

infection inside a tooth near the root

Postby Irisrose » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 pm

my dh is experiencing almost intolerable pain in a tooth that is worse when he puts pressure on the bottom of it (ie. he cannot chew at this point w/o unbearable pain) there is no sensitivity or pain at his gumline..so i am at loss as to what to do at home to help him (he called to make an appointment with our TCM and his bio-dentist....who believes it's an internal abcess near his root.)......but meanwhile i'd like to alleviate his pain...he took some umeboshi plum extract which seemed to help ( i'm thinking to alkalinize his body asmuch as possible)

any herbs to suggest?
Irisrose

Re: infection inside a tooth near the root

Postby Sashamarts » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:28 am

cloves... you won't have time to soak them in oil, but you can grind them up (use whole ones and grind, don't buy powder) they should make a sticky mush when you smash them - i use mortar & pestle, but if it's too crumbly add a drop of olive oil. apply the paste to the affected tooth. replace it as the pain returns. it should help control the pain, but probably wont get rid of it like pain pills would. *caution* can irritate the gums/cheek... i used this when i had an abcess last year since my body can't handle anything stronger than ibuprofin pain-pill wise, and it at least stopped me from wanting to rip the tooth out myself :shock:
Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust!!!
Sashamarts

Postby Lady Alinor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Could try packing bruised Plantain leaf around the tooth...great for tooth and gum infections.

There are many infection fighting herbs...Ginger, Sage, Echinacea, Garlic, etc
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby nutmeg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 am

You can also use cabbage the same way Lady A suggested with plantain.
Last edited by nutmeg on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nutmeg

Postby steph_ani_jay_ne » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:39 pm

I've heard that a plantain poultice kept inside the mouth by the infection can really help, needs replacing quite often though, might be quite difficult when its painful but is worth it, helps to kill the infection.
steph_ani_jay_ne

Postby nutmeg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:44 pm

My understanding is that the plantain (or cabbage) draws the infection out from the tooth.
nutmeg

Postby steph_ani_jay_ne » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 am

sorry, i just repeated what lady A said! :? should of read post properly! sorry about that
steph_ani_jay_ne

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!