Dong Quai?

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

Dong Quai?

Postby Mrs_Mitch » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 pm

I have been taking vitex for over a month now to bring back AF after depo, I started out on the caps which produced some results then went to the tincture which was supposed to be more potent but seemed to do nothing for me. So now I am taking Dong Quai along with it and saw some pink spotting like a week after soooo my question is is dong quai strong enough to work on its own without the vitex?? or will it be best to keep taking both Thanks.
Mrs_Mitch

Re: Dong Quai?

Postby sapphire kate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 am

AF?
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby Mrs_Mitch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Aunt Flow (mestrual) lol
Mrs_Mitch

Postby sapphire kate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm

How long since you stopped the depo and how long did you use it? How old are you? Are you in a hurry to menstruate? Why?

Herbs are not drugs, they work by assisting the body back into its own balance and processes. So rebalancing after artificial hormones is a process. You can assist this process in lots of ways and I'd suggest looking at building good health before taking herbs with possible hormonal actions (and doubly so if you are wanting to conceive). What's your general health like? What kinds of foods do you eat? Exercise? Stress? etc.

An answer to your original question:

my question is is dong quai strong enough to work on its own without the vitex??

It depends on your body and what it needs. AFAIK dong quai works by actions on circulation and what's known as blood moving. It's also a tonic. i.e. it's not regulating your cycle hormonally. So if what your body needs at the moment is what Traditional Chinese Medicine views as moving blood then dang gui might be a useful herb. But if it doesn't, then dg might not be useful or even counterproductive. Vitex works on the endocrine system and does have some hormonal regulatory effect on the cycle, but it comes with risks. Personally, I think you are experimenting without really knowing why or what you are wanting to achieve. I'd be looking at the specific ways that depo affects the cycle and body, and how the body can come back from that. A herbalist experienced in women's health could help, or you could research this yourself. Let me know if you want some resource references, but it'd be good to know what information you are using already.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby Mrs_Mitch » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 pm

I have already read up on both before I started taking them it has been almost a year since being off the depo and my doc gave me birth control pills to help regulate but I was told those are false periods so I figured maybe the herbs would be a bit more natural. I am in my early 20's and I do exercise and eat healthy but I do notice that when I workout for a long time thats when I see the most results so im wondering if that has something to do with it. Oh and for the reason my husband is currently deployed and we plan on TTC when he gets home so I wanted to be ready, but the weird thing is for the longest I had been taking ovulation tests and they were negative then like some months later I had a positive so I know you can ovulate w/o a menstrual but I would still like to be regular.
Mrs_Mitch

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering