Slippery Elm Bark and constipation?

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

Slippery Elm Bark and constipation?

Postby jazzbones » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,
I recently started making (and taking) "Wessiac"- Susun's version of "Essiac"- made from Burdock root, Yellowdock root, and Slippery Elm bark powder. The taste is tolerable, and so far I think my body likes it (!).
One question though. What I read about slippery elm is that it is helpful with diarrhea, which makes me wonder if it can have a bulking or constipating effect? The reason I am asking is that right now I am taking a medication that that is a little rough on the intestines, and has constipation as a side-effect (Cholestyramine, to help clear mold toxins). The slippery elm seems like it would be helpful for the intestinal irritation (and dealing w toxins), and/but I'm wondering if it might also be making the constipation worse? If so, should I reduce the amount I'm using in the Wessiac formula?

Also, will the slippery elm absorb things like supplements- eg, does it need to be taken separate from supplements?

Thanks very much.
jazzbones

Re: Slippery Elm Bark and constipation?

Postby sapphire kate » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Slippery elm doesn't cause constipation (the mucilage it contains would be helpful).

When I used to use slippery elm I took it separate from anything pill like or herbs. I don't know why, it just seemed that there might be an issue with it's action on intestinal mucosa and other things needing to be absorbed. I have no idea if that is true, but thought it wise to err on the side of caution. Trust your gut instinct ;-)
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby jazzbones » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks s.k.!
jazzbones

Postby Bat in the Gloaming » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 pm

Jazzbones

Could you point me towards where I can find more about: "Wessiac"- Susun's version of "Essiac"?

Do you have a link?

Thanks,
Bat
Bat in the Gloaming

Postby jazzbones » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi Bat,

I don't have a link (although the info may be available on the web somewhere?). I got the recipe from her "Breast Cancer? Breast Health" book (which has lots of good herbal info and recipes, including for regular Essiac). The book should be easy to find, and/or you may be able to find the recipe and/or more info if you search Susun's website (?).

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any trouble finding it. (I don't have the book right here at the moment, but could easily type in the recipe here, if you can't find it anywhere else. (Tho it sounds to me like you want more info than just the recipe?))

JB
jazzbones

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!