Vitex and Red Clover together

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

Vitex and Red Clover together

Postby peelee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:19 am

Hello,

I am currently taking vitex 2000mg, Dong Quai 3000mg, evening primrose oil 3000mg, cod liver oil 2000mg and I am also drinking raspberry leaf tea and nettle leaf tea in order to try to conceive. I have low progesterone levels and I know that the vitex helps with that. I have heard that red clover is good for fertility as well but wanted to find out if taking it along with vitex would increase my chance of falling pregnant or actually counteract it. I'd be very grateful if anyone could help. Thanks
Patrice
peelee

Re: Vitex and Red Clover together

Postby Meli » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:16 pm

I had been experiencing fertility issues/hormonal imbalances for a while, and had been trying to conceive for nearly 2 years. This past January, I started drinking about a half quart per day of an infusion of red clover leaves and red raspberry leaf, and conceived in my next cycle! A midwife friend of mine had strongly recommended these herbs, as she has seen huge success in clients trying to conceive. (She also gave me Susun's book, The Childbearing Year, which is quite helpful - a must-read!) I'm still quite early-on - only about 6 weeks - but am absolutely thrilled, and plan on continuing with the herbal infusions (adding nettle and oat straw).

I had actually bought a pound of Vitex berries when I started trying to conceive (along with the rrl and alfalfa), but only infused them once or twice a year or so ago, and for whatever reason did not choose to use them in my more recent (and more regular) infusions. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents - and success! - in regards to the other 2 herbs.

I do have a question myself, for anyone who is more knowledgable about herbs - is there a major difference between whole red clover blossoms and just the leaves? The blossoms are delicious in an infusion, but are much more expensive.

All the best of luck to you!
Meli

Postby peelee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:59 am

Congrats and thank you for replying .
peelee

Postby Meli » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

Hello again -
I just read another post of yours from a while back regarding low progesterone and the possibility of taking Vitex into the second trimester. I have been trying to find more information on this as well, and am wondering if you ever ended up coming across any helpful info.

I ended up having a missed miscarriage last time (noticed around 14 weeks), and after all was said and done, I bled (lightly) for about 8 weeks afterward. I started taking Vitex in order to try to get me back on a cycle, and it WORKED. As I've read, vitex usually takes a while to work its effects, but after about a a month or two I (finally) got my period again, and continued to get it like clockwork.

Since we were trying to get pregnant again, I was tracking my ovulation (with OPKs), and while we DTD VERY frequently, especially around the time of O, I did not get pregnant during Sept., Oct., or Nov. I was still taking the Vitex, but each month discontinued use after Ovulation. In December, I decided to continue with the Vitex after O., and I got pregnant! Of course I'm not sure if this is due to the Vitex or just pure luck... but I have decided to continue taking the Vitex AT LEAST throughout the first trimester.

Everything I read online advises to wean yourself off Vitex around week 10-12, since the placenta apparently takes over hormone production in the 2nd trimester, but I'm wondering if there's any potential risk of taking Vitex throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I guess I'm just extra worried since my MC (which was obviously devastating) - we've been trying for almost 3 years now, and I trust my body, I trust my herbs, but have had trouble finding ANY information about taking Vitex AFTER the first trimester. Even if the placenta starts producing progesterone, could continued use of Vitex hurt in any way? (I'm taking it in tincture form, currently about 50 drops, 2X daily.)

(((Side note: I'm having very few pregnancy symptoms - had sore breasts for a few days, they got a tiny bit bigger (pretty small to begin with!), I had nausea for a few days (no vomiting), but now, at 8 weeks, I feel pretty great - aside from exhaustion, an increased appetite, and very dull cramping every once in a while... I don't know, but maybe this could be a side effect of the Vitex balancing my hormones? Just a thought...)))
Meli

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering