Sty

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Sty

Postby Robienne » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:20 am

Anyone have a remedy for a sty?

I believe its on the eye-

Thanks so much!

Robin
Robienne

Postby wildflower » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:41 am

Warm compresses (warm water, washcloth) used to work for me. Very soothing too.
wildflower

Postby tosca » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:08 am

...also a tea of warm chamomille and warm compresses of same. [:)] Also warm salt water (about 1/4 teaspoon salt to 1 cup warm water) is helpful. No it doesn't sting because a saline solution is close to natural body fluid. It is UNsalted water that stings the eyes.

(By 'it's on the eye' you mean upper or lower eye rim or inner eye lids, yes?)
tosca

Postby Lannie » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:55 pm

My mother-in-law's tried and true home remedy for a sty in the eye is a wet teabag (i.e. Lipton). The tannins in the tea seem to work to reduce whatever is causing the sty. I've used this myself MANY times and it usually gets rid of the sty within 30 minutes. I did have one on the INSIDE of my upper eyelid once and that one needed medical help. Felt like there was a piece of glass under there. The doc gave me some drops to numb my eye, then I used the teabag thing and it was gone by the next day. Sure hurt while it lasted, though, every time I blinked!

~Lannie
Lannie

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest