herbs to support prostate health

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

herbs to support prostate health

Postby shivone » Tue May 04, 2004 10:16 am

Hi again. My husband is still suffering through a doozy of a prostate infection. Cipro, doxycycline, and back to cipro, and still it hasn't cleared. He has a history of recurring infections in the epidydemus (a tube connecting to the testicle) and less frequently the prostate.

Does anyone know of herbs to support the prostate and testicles, and the male reproductive system in general? Web searches only seem to yield advertisements for all kinds of herbal pills and "detox" programs - but I know nothing about these and I'm suspicious of their claims. The only herb I always hear of is saw palmetto - but is that just for prostate cancer? And how does one take saw palmetto? Is it always in pill form?

Maybe we need a "mindful man" forum as cool as this "wise woman" forum!
shivone

Postby Judy L » Tue May 04, 2004 2:28 pm

Hi Shivonne,

Sorry to hear about your husband.

I've never directly worked with this issue but I will share what I learned from herb school regarding male reproductive.

Diet is really important. Foods that support the male reproductive system are: pumpkin seeds* , sesame butter, tahini, sesame seeds, watermelon*, cucumbers*, cultured milk, fresh fruit, and dark leafy greens. (* most important)

If there is inflamation you want to work with more of the cooling herbs and if infection is involved then add something for that. Some herbs sugeested are Raspberry leaf, nettle, comfrey, damiana, gingseng and saw palmetto berries. Notice the herbs are either cooling and nourshing or more yang and firery in nature.

Saw Palmetto Berries can be taken as a tea or tincture.

Calcium, Magnesium, Vit E and Zinc are important.

'The Male Herbal' by James Green is a great resource. Lots of information. Also, Rosemary Gladstar has written on the subject in 'The Family Herbal'

If you want more information, I can list the herbs Rosemary and James suggest out of their books. Let me know. Hope some of this was helpful.

Judy
Judy L

Postby shivone » Tue May 04, 2004 2:52 pm

Wow Judy, thanks so much. I will pass this information along to him.
shivone

Re: herbs to support prostate health

Postby ~chii~ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 pm

I know this is an old post, but I would love to hear more herbs useful for this purpose - especially using those targeting inflammation/infection....I do happen to know an unfortunate male who recently discovered a small lump in his testes...he went on antibiotics for a time and said they seemed to make it smaller, but he has no money for or faith in conventional medicine(drugs)...I assume since he's telling me such things that he is immensely worried, so I eagerly await additional information.
~chii~

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!