Mineral deficiency

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Mineral deficiency

Postby Macha2012 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:16 am

A medicine woman here told me my daughter has a mineral deficiency and that's why she grinds her teeth...Does anyone know a few good food/veggie items I can add to our diet to remedy this?
Macha2012

Postby LadyB » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:22 am

Any specific mineral?
The very best way to get general, all-purpose mineral-ness into one's face in a way that can be ABSORBED is with the nourishing infused vinegars. Nettle, dandelion, Mugwort......Next best thing is to use vinegar ON your dark, green leafies to RELEASE the minerals they have to offer.
I've seen introducing nettles into a kid's diet make them stop chewing rocks and eating dirt, another sign of a craving for minerals.
LadyB
LadyB

Postby lindasu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:18 am

heh...reminds me of when i was little. i used to suck on metal fences and could hardly wait for everyone to finish their salad so i could drink the vinegar (mom only used oil& red wine vinegar as dressing). the doctor said i was iron deficient and had my mom make me drink this incredibly thick, rust-brown, vile stuff. i have no idea what it was, but the taste scarred me for life. [xx(] he also had her purge us weekly with laxatives and enemas. awful and i would think that would make the deficiency worse.
another way to get iron in the diet is to cook non-reactive foods in cast iron. i cook all our greens, beans, etc. in iron.
lindasu

Postby Macha2012 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:55 pm

Thank you ladies! I really thought our diets were most excellent, we do a lot of fruits, veggies,native herbs, some meats, but somewhere along the line I've missed something. You know I've been doing herbs and weeds for almost 40 years, you'd think I would've learned SOMETHING by now...I guess the more I think I know, the less I truly know.
Macha2012

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:40 pm

I once had chewed on ice cubes and was really craving them!(for a couple years..)..my doctor took a blood test and i found i was anemic..i took iron pills for 2 weeks and never chewed ice again..she said u could become anemic just from one heavy period..that may have been my problem..also there is a word for "ice chewer"in Greek, although i forget at the moment what is it...
good luck
Anonymous

Postby Macha2012 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:19 pm

I craved ice cubes once too!!!I mean I would go into a full on jones for them...turned out I had gestational diabetes. Interesting how two different conditions have the same presentation...
Macha2012

Postby desertmedicinewoman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:52 pm

i certainly don't want to rain on any parades here, but in my experience teeth grinding is very stress related.

i think it is matthew wood who reccomends horsetail for those with silica deficinecy ( which includes symptoms of hair pulling and fingernail biting...i wonder if teeth grinding could be included in the silicia deficiency stress pattern he describes?)
desertmedicinewoman

Postby Macha2012 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:11 am

I thought stress was it too...and she is a nail biter. But really we have no stress at home. I homeschool her and really that's more like unschooling...she decides the curriculem for the most part.
Hmmm...She was born that way though I think. I remember when she got her first two teeth on top and bottom the started biting her nails and grinding them. I put anti-spasmodic oils on her jaw and that seemed to work for a while but not anymore. It is distressing me though because she's only 9 and her teeth are almost ground down smooth. I bought her one of those mouth pieces but she couldn't sleep with it in so that wasn't an option any longer...I don't know, she is also given to night terrors and has since she was tiny as well.
Macha2012

Postby LadyB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:17 am

Former anemic ice-cube chewer here![8D]
I think, as I was discussing my deepening anemia with my sister-the-nurse all those years ago, she came out and ASKED if I had this mad urge to chew ice cubes ([:0][8)])....she said it's a known sign of anemia......my other madness was tortilla chips....talk about 'full on JONES' if I began to see the bottom of the bag....total PANIC. A very wise herbalist friend saw this and suggested that my body was CRAVING sodium, but not necessarily sodium CHLORIDE....and I should try to get some seaweed into my face [xx(]. I managed to gag down some Kelp with Cayenne seasoning and I swear in about 3 days the Tortilla Jones was GONE. Really amazing.

I think especially with both minerals and stress, it all comes down to what the individual can absorb and use (minerals) and how any given individual processes 'stress' and just what 'stress' is to them.

Now that we know more about your daughter, I'd be leaning on the Oatstraw for both the gentle minerals AND the nerve-strengthening qualities. But more than anything else, I'd be really inclined to teach her to [url="http://www.ladybarbara.net/Self-testing.htm"]Self-test[/url] as, for WHATEVER reason, her little body may process things very differently than other folks and what, in theory, should be GOOD for her simply ISN'T. It could be VERY enlightening and quite empowering for her. Worth a try, can't hurt.
LadyB
(you should see the consistent NEGATIVE I get to corn in ANY form!)
LadyB

Postby Macha2012 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:43 pm

LadyB, you are so right...my little Rowan tree does process things very different...Two days after I brought her home, all the family was standing over her and she said "hello" as clear as sunlight (that was a holy crap moment).[:o)]and then looked at our cat, who never left her side and said "kitty". It was the strangest thing...Pretty funny too if you could've seen the look on everyone's face. We can't punish her like the other kids, she takes 'time out' far too personally. Down in her gut sobbing-just for being in time out! I wonder if it was my pregnancy. It was only the second time in my adult life I ever went to the doctor when they put me on insulin. I didn't want to do it, but the doctor threatened to legally hospitalize me until the end of my pregnancy.

I made a wonderful salad tonight with nettle and dandelion picked from our yard. The sight you mentioned is on our school agenda tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Macha2012

Postby wildflower » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:17 pm

I asked my family what the Greek word for "ice-chewer" is. My dad is fluent in Greek and would know those random words. lol.

Anyway, I thought i heard somewhere that jaw clenching meant magnesium deficiency. Speaking of, I am going to make my red clover infusion now, thanks for reminding me!
wildflower

Postby Macha2012 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Magnesium!!?! Very interesting...Thanks!
Macha2012

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest