Milk thistle - liver pain?

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

Milk thistle - liver pain?

Postby wildidahoan » Sun May 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Is it normal?

I'm one who believes pain is not usually good so help me out here.

I've been taking Oregon's Wild Harvest milk thiste (liquid) for a week and my liver area has moments of panging, then it stops.

What's up with that?

Should I stop using the formula? (If nobody knows why my liver is hurting, I will stop taking it - I'm just wondering if this is a normal part of starting to take milk thistle.)
kjl
wildidahoan

Postby LadyMeg » Mon May 30, 2005 5:05 am

Greetings,

However some people do have allergic reactions to taking this herb, if you have abdominal pains either reduce the dosage or take Milk Thistle in another form, if it still doesn't work then stop the treatment immediately.

To work as effectively in dozens of clinical trials, milk thistle needs to be correctly prepared and standardized. Choose a supplement standardized to contain 70% to 80% silymarin, the active ingredient. This high concentration of silymarin is needed to ensure that a sufficient amount will reach the bloodstream and eventually the liver.

FORMS:
tincture (Avoid all tinctures with Alcohol especially with Liver Problems)
tablet
softgel
liquid
capsule

GENERAL INTERACTIONS:
If you are taking the drug indinavir to treat advanced HIV or AIDS, consult your doctor before taking milk thistle, an herb which may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.

Don't try to self-diagnose or self-treat a liver problem. Such ailments require the attention of a medical professional who can closely monitor your care.

Avoid alcohol-based tinctures of milk thistle. Some of these contain considerable amounts of alcohol, which can damage the liver over time.

Milk thistle is widely accepted as safe, even for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.

DANDELION ROOT:
For centuries, dandelion root has been regarded as an effective, gentle laxative. The roots and leaves are most often used to treat liver conditions such as jaundice and hepatitis, and to encourage normal digestion. The yellow flower also contains beneficial compounds. In fact, all parts of the plant have high concentrations of vitamin A, as well as choline, a B vitamin that stimulates the liver. Dandelion is even being explored as a treatment for cancer and other conditions.

GENERAL INTRACTIONS:
Dandelion may intensify the blood sugar-lowering effect of the diabetes drug, glipizide. Use with caution.
In high doses, dandelion can increase the diuretic effect of loop diuretics such as bumetanide and furosemide. This is also true for thiazide diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide and indapamide. Consult your doctor for guidance.

No serious side effects have been associated with the use of dandelion. However, if taken in large quantities (much more than commonly recommended) it may cause a skin rash, diarrhea, heartburn, or stomach discomfort. Stop using the herb if these reactions occur, and mention the problem to your doctor.

:)
"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible."
LadyMeg

Postby sapphire kate » Mon May 30, 2005 6:25 am

wild, I've had what I think are adverse reactions to milk thistle. The first time I got inflammed and itchy gums and subsequent nausea and abdominal discomfit. This was over a few days. It became more difficult for me to digest fats (would feel nauseous).

I've had a similar but less intense reaction with a different brand.

I'd suggest trying a different brand, preferably one that is a non-standardised tincture. Or you could dry dried MT seed instead.

Was there anything else in the liquid? Was it an alcohol or glycerin extract?

~~

LadyMeg, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but there are legal copyright issues with cutting and paste-ing from other websites, or copying large portions from books, without acknowledging the author. We had someone on the forum using posts from here on another site for awhile without acknowledging whose words they were and it felt like theft. Can you please put your source if you are copying from elsewhere. It also gives us a better idea of the value of the information if we know where it comes from.

Thanks,
kate.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby Teria » Mon May 30, 2005 9:43 am

Remember to self test a la LadyB.

Ex., right now, my body is telling me absolutely "NO" when I test for milk thistle, and very strongly "YES" to another herb. And a very ambivalent "soooometimes" to a third, all for liver/gallbladder issues.

(The big "yes" is to Gold Coin...herba lysimachiae; the "sometimes yes/sometimes no" reaction to a reishi/cordyceps/turmeric combination)
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace ~ John Lennon
Teria

Postby LadyB » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Yeah, whenever anyone comes to me with what even MIGHT be liver mayhem, I have them self-test with ALL the liver buddies.....Milk Thistle, Yellow Dock, Dandelion and Burdock. No matter what MY head thinks, their bodies KNOW which one they need. The results are always fascinating. Nobody EVER tests positive for all four. Usually negatives or 'ho-hums' to three and a STRONG positive for just one. Milk Thistle TENDS to be more protective (against drugs, or hormone surges) and I have to disagree with LadyMeg on all alcohol being condraindicated for all livers, especially the small amount in a tincture. If there's still a concern, take it in a LARGE glass of water.

But all the liver herbs act differently, so finding the RIGHT one for you right now is key, and Milk Thistle may just not be the ally you need.

And I really need to take issue with not taking responsibility for your own healing. That's what the Wise Woman Forum is all about. Sure, there are times when consulting a health care professional is most certainly a wise choice, a part of the process, but what we (And Susun) promote is the 'Trust Yourself' way to finding what you really need. (the self-testing technique is right on the menu page of my web site)

If you truly feel that the Milk Thistle is CAUSING the liver pain, it sounds like it's not helping. If you can test the others (oh, go ahead, give 'em a show at the health food store, I do it all the time) and see how your body feels about them, you might get a better sense of what you need. If you feel that getting a professional assessment will help, you should do that.

WildIdahoan, can you tell us why you decided to TAKE the Milk Thistle?
LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
http://www.ladybarbara.net
online herb classes!
LadyB

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!