Visiting the Wise Woman Center

Learn about Susun Weed's Wise Woman Center in Woodstock, NY - workshops, intensives, apprenticeships, moonlodges plus more!

Moderator: Wise Woman

Visiting the Wise Woman Center

Postby magdaverte » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:12 am

I am going to be visiting the WWC in September for 2 of Susun's workshops and the Moon Lodge. Are there any wise women in the area who would put up with a tent in their back yard for a few days?
I would so appreciate it!!
Blessings,
magdaverte

Postby karen joy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:02 pm

Victoria I would love to invite you... by that time I should be at my new property which though is an hour from the Wise Woman Center (and quite rustic living)! So probably too far for you yes? Would be nice to meet you... I am thinking of going to her Trees of the 13 Moons class [:p]
karen joy

Postby lululu » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:44 am

yay for trees of the 13 moons! karen joy i look forward to seeing you there.[:D]

magda: if you're going to be up there for that workshop, perhaps we can share a camping spot at the nearby campground? email me if you think that would work.

love~
lucretia
lululu

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:10 pm

And, Now that I am only a few hours away- I too will finally get to go to the WWC. Yippee! I am northeast now (well, for NOW anyway!) [:I]

Postby karen joy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:12 pm

This September Aimee? For the Trees class perhaps? It would be nice to meet you [:D]
karen joy

Postby magdaverte » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:23 pm

I am going to the Tree of the 13 moons and Talking with Plants and the Moon lodge. Sounds like I will see some of you there!

lulu, I would love to share a campsite!
Let me know where you think you might stay and how much it will be.

So looking forward to visiting the Wise Woman Center again!!
magdaverte

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:29 pm

Well I would LOVE to go to the tree class- though I was hoping to make a green witch magical plant thing- since I am such an ethneogen hound... laugh! (NOT an ADDICT - [B)] good grief- but rather a studier of them .... just to clarify! [:D])

Where is the link to find out about classes for September. I can only attend day things - I have children and have to get care for them etc... I would LOVE to meet you karen joy- and MM- and Justine- and well- many here!
XOXOXOXO aimee

Postby karen joy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:43 pm

Last edited by karen joy on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
karen joy

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:24 pm

Thanks Karen Joy!

Wow. I am so amazed at the options... Susun Weed has to be about the hippest, coolest womyn ever- (plus you and everyone too and Justine!)

Still- I am thrilled to finally get to do something! And- I will post you so maybe we can meet ok! Now where to start- so much to choose from! tee hee!!
[:I]

Postby karen joy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:57 pm

Well, looks like life circumstances right now mean I will not be going to these classes..... though still shooting for Magnificent Mints later! i am sad not to meet ya'll, though if any of you want to visit my new land (and me) just about 50 minutes north of the WWC or are heading through that way, drop me an email... i would love to meet you!! ;)
Last edited by karen joy on Wed May 04, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
karen joy

Postby Jayne Bond » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Hey now Magdaverte,

I was planning on taking this course as well and then crashing at Shaman's Overlook on Mead Mountain by the Buddhist temple on Sunday night, driving back to NJ on Monday. This is usually where I do my vision quests, and so I know that there is plenty of camping on the mountain. You don't even have to do the entire 3 mile hike to the summit as there is plenty of camping right off the main trail. Remember to camp at least 200 yards in from the road or the ranger will make you move- no open campfires either unless you ar at the summit. To get to Mead mountain go past where Susun lives and go into town/ Woodstock. In the center of town in a triangle, make a right at the triangle and just go straight up the mountain. Follow the meandering path up thru Mead Mountain to the Buddhist temple. IF you get lost ask people which way to the Buddhist temple. Park in the lot and backpack up the large trail across from the temple. Most of the camping areas are to your left when you are walking up the mountain- you will note them by the campfire rings. IF you want to go to the overlook it is a long hike (takes about 2 hours) so leave right after class or you will run out of daylight before you set up camp. Go to the summit of the mountain, past the Haunted Hotel and towards the Ranger Station, when you hit the ranger station go to the right of it and follow a very narrow deer trail, towards the mountain's edge. There you will find a campsite I use that has a pretty good fire ring and a spectacular view of the ring of purple mountains. Have fun! Maybe I'll get a chance to see you, I don't know if there are any spots left for the trees of the 13 moons class, and I have some out of town shamans who if they can't also come I will probably not go.

However, if you just want to car camp there is a good camping ground nearby called Rip Van Winkle, that is pretty cheap and has good sites. I would recommend that you don't take any sites by the swamp as the mosquitoes are killah!

ENjoy!
JB
Jayne Bond

Postby Jayne Bond » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:18 pm

Darn it! I can't come this weekend, however the moonlodge, Talking with Plants and Trees of the 13 Moons are rocking classes, and if you can, its a great weekend.

I'm sure those from New York know already but for those out of towners...If you plan on backpacking into the woods, up MEad mountain, as you go up in elevation you are going to have a dramatic drop in temperature. Even at this time in August, if there is a dynamic storm system on the east coast, the mountain top can get up to 30 degrees colder at night so be prepared. I went up there during a hurricane and even though it was warm in Woodstock, at night the mixture of rain and wind made it like 30 degrees at night. I think I got hypothermia that night! Whenever you backpack in the Catskills (land of fog and storms) always double pack your clothing and bedding in plastic hefty bags in case of storms. This way you can have a warm place to curl up in even if the weather is bad. The Shaman's overlook has a very high potential (being carved out of glacial erratic nook of a mountain) for excessive storming. Sometimes the summer storms hang tight to the lower valley (I think it is like 1000 feet below) and it is cool to watch the lightning churn like a cloud vortex in the ringed valley. But sometimes, the mountain itself churns out the storm and this makes a violent night. The wind howls and it sounds like mourning voices, then you can wake up and the moon is strong and clear, the fog stretches like an endless sea directly from the "planK", the cliff overlook. It is really an amazing place and everyone and anyone always has amazing dreams. I guess, I just can't recommend it as a backpack location enough. Hope everyone has fun!

namaste,
JB
Jayne Bond

Return to Wise Woman Center