Looking for UC friendly midwife

Where wise women can share birth stories, find a midwife, get support for your wise way of birthing.
Where student midwives gather, compare notes, and offer encouragement to each other on the challenging path of learning.

Moderator: Lady Alinor

Looking for UC friendly midwife

Postby MamaKat » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:01 am

Hello ladies! This is the first time I have posted here at these forums, I'm so excited to have found you all! A little bit about me-I have one son, Alder who will be 2 in September. He was born at home, a planned unassisted pregnancy and birth. All went without a hitch and he was born happily and peacefully after about 26 hours of labor. Now, I'm not pregnant with my second yet, though I feel it coming if that makes any sense. And while I don't want the standard "midwifery care" I would like to be in touch with a midwife in my area. I hate the term "just in case", I don't believe in it, so instead I will say, should I ever need the services of a hospital, the thought of showing up without any backup at all really scares me. As much as I don't want to play the political game of proving I'm a fit mother by proving I had "prenatal care" I don't think I'm willing to risk my children to make a point. ANYWAY, are there any UC friendly midwives in the Central Florida area? Ideally, a shamanic midwife, who is more of a spiritual counselor with emphasis on childbirth as a spiritual journey, not a medical event. I know, I'm not asking much, am I? LOL. Thanks so much, and I look forward to poking around here and getting to know you all better!

Kat
MamaKat

Postby organicmama » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:25 am

I do not know of any in Central Florida. BUT
There is a school in Gainesville called School of traditional Midwifery and they may be able to point you in the right direction.
organicmama

Postby MamaKat » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:45 pm

Thanks Organicmama, I'll try contacting them.

Kat
MamaKat

Postby Anonymous » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:57 pm

Wish we were closer. I work with families that plan to UC and just want someone to "chat" with, check things if they ask, or what ever the family needs. I consider myself THEIR assistant, and if I do my job right, they won't need me for anything in they're birth. :o)
Anonymous

Postby MamaKat » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:25 am

It's comforting to know there are midwives like you out there somewhere earthmother! Just out of curiosity where are you? Possibly Montana? We're planning on moving there within the next few years, buying some land in the mountains, alternative energy, organic farming, the whole shabang.

Kat
MamaKat

Postby Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:57 pm

Not quite that far west, but have considered moving there and may ince dh's forestry schooling is done. :o) We too are aiming for the self reliant life style, and already have a good start. We are in northern Minnesota in the middle of the forest, and it is great. We homeschool, AP, and do all organic foods-including growing a lot of it. I even buy organic grains and mill our own flour. We have an organic mill near, so it is really nice. Cost is low too. :o) Just can't imagine living any other way.

I have been gathering herbs like crazy lately too. All grown in the wild here and making tinctures, salves, oils, and just dried herbs for later. I love being so close to the earth.

~A
Anonymous

Return to Homebirth & Midwifery