alternatives to arimidex/femara

Here is a safe space to discuss cancer and cancer prevention. Share your concerns, hopes, fears, and experiences the Wise Woman Way. Share ways to maintain breast health and offer support to women diagnosed with breast cancer.

Moderators: Movlin, Lady Alinor

alternatives to arimidex/femara

Postby Anonymous » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:44 pm

Hi, I'm looking for information about
alternatives to arimidex and femara to
lower levels of estrogen in cases of
estrogen receptive breast cancer.

I've tried arimidex for a year and
it is grossly affecting my metabolism,
so I'd like to get off of it. If there
is a natural way I can keep my body's levels
of estrogen at a level that will not stimulate
recurrence of my breast cancer I would love
to find that out. I'm very interested in looking
at research on this topic.

Thank you,
Anonymous

Postby karen joy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:44 pm

Hello Leonine, welcome to the forum!!! I am looking for info, but don't know much about this. I did read in <b>Breast Cancer? Breast Health!</b> about flax seeds...

<font color="teal">Flax seeds and flax seed meal are delicious additions to breads, pancakes, and muffins. They are exceptional sources of anti-cancer lignans and acids such as gallic acid, ferulic acid, chlorogenic acid, and coumaric acid. They appear to be anti-estrogenic and quite specific against breast cancer.</font id="teal">

the reference for this is listed as: "Lignans in Flaxseed and Breast Carcinogenesis," Lilian Thompson and M. Serraino, Dept. of Nutritional Sciences, Univ. of Toronto, 1989

I know this isn't the replacement you are searching for. I will keep you in mind as I research!
[:)]
karen joy

Postby Anonymous » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:11 pm

welcome Leonine!

If you don't have it yet do try to get a copy of Susun's Breast Cancer?Breast Health! There is so much valueable information in that book for women.

Flax seeds are so wonderful, I buy organic seeds from Arrowhead Mills farms. Then I grind them in a coffee grinder that I use just for grinding my flax. Fresh ground flax seeds are the best way to get the nutrients from them. I sprinkle them on cereal, in salads, and on toast. I have even found a way for my 4 year old to eat them we make honey balls with ground up flax seed and she just loves them. So many ways to eat the seeds and they are so good for you!

I will look for you too.

blessings and be well,
beth
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:23 am

Dear Amy Joy and Beth,

Thank you for your responses and information
about flax seeds. Yes, I have read Susun's Breast Cancer, Breast Health! It has been an invaluable source of information and is fueling my confidence that I can find an alternative to arimidex.
But I want to look at the research. It's difficult for me to counter western medical advice about something as serious as cancer, ergo my interest in research.

Thank you very much for your help.
Leonine 727
Anonymous

Postby karen joy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:47 pm

Hmmm, Amy Joy, I could be that for the moment, been called many things but this is a first! [:D]

I totally understand and respect your need for research. This is great! Especially in such an ever-evolving category, and such a life serious situation.

Have you had an opportunity to look at [url="http://www.susunweed.com/Links_health_wellbeing.htm#breasthealthcancerprevention"]our links section under "Breast health and cancer prevention"[/url]. There are many incredible ones... being online the research could be quite current... I started to look for you but quite daunting.
karen joy

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:16 pm

Hey Karen Joy,

I'm very sorry about addressing you by the wrong name.
More evidence about how screwy this drug has me!

Good news. I found a great article on estrogen. It's called "Nutritional Influences on Estrogen Metabolism" by Douglas C. Hall, Applied Nutritional Science Reports, 2001. It's the first time I have gotten thorough information about estrogen's role in breast cancer. What's even greater about it is that it corroborates what Susun has reported in <u>Breast Cancer, Breast Health!</u>

Leonine
Anonymous

Postby karen joy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:35 am

No Problem at all Leonine!

Thanks for sharing the article title with us. i searched online for it and only found a similar article which is basically a summary of the one you mention: [url="http://www.wanttobewell.com/articles8.htm"]Nutrition and Estrogen Metabolism[/url].

The thing I am most curious about is the term estrogen receptive breast cancer. First, I have learned that all us women produce 29 kinds of estrogen through our whole life! Then a 30th, called estradiol, we produce from menarche to menopause. I have heard too many science fields talk about how menopause is in fact the cessation of estrogen production, or the lessening of it, thereby needing extra artificially. So it seems too often this one out of 30 estrogens, estradiol, is called simply estrogen, ignoring the other 29. Okay, so second, I understand that this one form of estrogen, estradiol, promotes cancer, in anyone really. So when one says estrogen receptive breast cancer, I wonder if this is really meaning to say estradiol-receptive cancer, and i wonder how this is different than any other cancer with the estradiol concern.

I have much reading to do to find these answers. These questions are why I have a hard time answering your question Leonine... I do want to understand it so much more!
karen joy

alternatives to arimidex

Postby ivanne » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:38 am

I found this forum by looking for the article by Douglas C. Hall, Md. regarding nutritional influences on estrogen metabolism. This is an excellent article, passed to me by a dermatologist supporting nutrition for breast cancer. I would like to find a copy of the article that I can email to every woman I know. It is imperative that we get the word out. There is also a women's hormonal assessment test that determines the levels of different estrogens. It is another "must" for women! And, men! If anyone has a link directly to the article, please let me know what it is. I am not too well versed in all the web world.
Thanks!
ivanne

Postby Sandwalker » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:09 pm

karen joy wrote:So when one says estrogen receptive breast cancer, I wonder if this is really meaning to say estradiol-receptive cancer

Yes, basically that's what it means.

Beans. Legumes of all kinds contain plant-estrogens that aren't harmful that beat the estridiol to the receptors.

Also sleeping in the dark.

forgive the disjointedness. No sleep makes me incomprehensible. But I'm pretty sure these things are in susun's breast book.
Life is Practice.
Sandwalker

Return to Dancing with Cancer the Wise Woman Way