Lady's Mantle Varieties

Healing through nourishment the Wise Woman Way; discover the Six Steps of Healing; Talking with plants and honoring mother earth's green gifts via wildcrafting, gardening, weed walks, and botany "one plant at a time".

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter

Lady's Mantle Varieties

Postby RavynW » Tue May 15, 2007 3:26 pm

I saw a beautiful Lady' Mantle waving at me while I was at the nursery today, and I swept her up and brought her home. Once home I consulted my herbal guides and it seems like the variety I got is not one anyone lists. It is Alchemilla epipsila - looks just like other varieties, though I guess it grows a little taller. From one book I got the impression I could probably use any variety, but I wanted to check first so I don't go poisoning myself! :lol:

She'll have a happy home here no matter what, but I'd like to use her medicine too. Does anyone know if the variety matters with Alchemilla? Thanks!
RavynW

Postby LadyB » Wed May 16, 2007 8:39 am

Ohhhhhhhh yeah. This one could keep us busy for awhile!!!
Alchemilla abchasica
Alchemilla adelodictya
Alchemilla alexandri
Alchemilla aurata
Alchemilla bakurianica
Alchemilla barbatiflora
Alchemilla capillacea
Alchemilla carthalinica
Alchemilla caucasica
Alchemilla chlorosericea
Alchemilla debilis
Alchemilla depexa
Alchemilla divaricans
Alchemilla diversipes
Alchemilla dura
Alchemilla elisabethae
Alchemilla epipsila
Alchemilla erectilis
Alchemilla erythropoda
Alchemilla georgica
Alchemilla glabricaulis
Alchemilla grandidens
Alchemilla grossheimii
Alchemilla hirtipedicellata
Alchemilla holotricha
Alchemilla hypochlora
Alchemilla hypotricha
Alchemilla impolita
Alchemilla indurata
Alchemilla insignis
Alchemilla kozlowskii
Alchemilla laeta
Alchemilla languida
Alchemilla microdictya
Alchemilla microdonta
Alchemilla minusculiflora
Alchemilla monticola
Alchemilla obtegens
Alchemilla oligotricha
Alchemilla oxysepala
Alchemilla pseudocartalinica
Alchemilla pseudomollis
Alchemilla pycnotricha
Alchemilla retinervis
Alchemilla sedelmeyeriana
Alchemilla sericata
Alchemilla sericea
Alchemilla speciosa
Alchemilla stellulata
Alchemilla subcrenatiformis
Alchemilla suberectipila
Alchemilla subsplendens
Alchemilla tamarae
Alchemilla tephroserica
Alchemilla tredecimloba
Alchemilla undecimloba
Alchemilla urceolata
Alchemilla valdehirsuta
Alchemilla venosa
Alchemilla woronowii
(whew) :shock:
But notice that Alchemilla vulgaris and mollis, the two best known in the US are NOT in this list!! Erythropoda is the only other name here I recognize.

A. epipsila seems to come from Armenia/Georgia. (this was a European/Mediterranean database I found these kids in)

Alchemilla vulgaris is the one most used medicinally and it's like all the Hypericums. Hypericum perforatum is the little 'wild' St J's wort we use medicinally and all those shrubby forms seem to have little/no medicinal value at all.

So, is Alchemilla epipsila toxic?
I have absolutely no idea, and perhaps the 'answer' is going to involve SITTING with her and seeing what she has to offer.
LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
http://www.ladybarbara.net
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby RavynW » Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Wow! Thanks LadyB - that's quite a list!

It occurred to me overnight that the 'wildness' of the variety might affect the strength of any medicinal energy. I noticed about three or four varieties listed in different books as the one used for medicine, so I suspect they all might be useful in one way or another, though the cultivated one might be less robust. She did twinkle at me in the way that healing plants usually do for me - I get this tickly feeling when they are in the corner of my vision and then when I look at them full on they seem super-saturated with color. It still amazes me every time it happens and I'm still learning to trust the feeling, but I'll definitely take your advice and sit with her and see what she has to tell me.
RavynW

Re: Lady's Mantle Varieties

Postby GreyWhale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 pm

I find it frustrating here in NZ that even the Herb Nurseries list Alchemilla mollis as "the" medicinal Lady's Mantle, even going so far as to offer a new golden-leafed garden variety. Grrr!
I managed to get the vulgaris form some years ago, and have kept it going here in this mild climate. I just have to be careful it doesn't get too dry in summer, and give it a bit of shade from the hottest sun.
GreyWhale

Postby LadyB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:19 am

Hi there, GreyWhale and welcome!
I've moved to Western Oregon and have a garden client whose front border is FULL of two very different varieties of Lady's Mantle. Most of it is, I suspect, vulgaris, but then there was a sweet LITTLE one. Pointier leaves. Some of them are in the full screamin' sun (but with an elaborate sprinkler system) and others are shaded and EVERYone's doing well. Almost TOO well. I have to keep thinning them out. I've been transplanting them to other parts of the property to make a groundcover. It's funny, I've never felt drawn to the plant medicinally. I love them, I photograph them all the time, but never made any medicine from them. (yet!!)
LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby GreyWhale » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:50 am

Hi LadyB, I'm having a Forum marathon today - the weather's so horrendous I can't get into the garden, and my flatmate's at work so I'm hogging the computer.
I studied Herbal Medicine for a while, then realised I preferred working with the plants rather than the people/patients. I have a small collection here on my rented patch, but I'm finding that the herbs I like best (lady's mantle, black cohosh, solomon's seal, echinacea) prefer a climate with more defined seasons, i.e colder winters, and less humid summers. Strange that I find myself being led even further north.....guess I need to get in touch with my herbal allies!
GreyWhale

Postby LadyB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 am

Well, what you might want to do is to start with the WILD plants that thrive where you are and work backwards! So many of the truly healing allies really are considered WEEEEEDS. Moving across the country to a milder climate has been rather funny. Both the plantains and the motherworts are HUGE AND FUZZY out here. I still can't get used to the Plantain. My fingers want to feel that perfect, leathery/rubbery leaf and ours here are all FUZZY. But I'm GOIN' with it. Even transplanted some nice hefty ones to my veggie garden.
LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
online herb classes!
LadyB

Return to Healing Wise & Plant Allies