Valerian: habit-forming or not?

Healing through nourishment the Wise Woman Way; discover the Six Steps of Healing; Talking with plants and honoring mother earth's green gifts via wildcrafting, gardening, weed walks, and botany "one plant at a time".

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter

Valerian: habit-forming or not?

Postby kindredessences » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello wise women,

I have been looking to suggest valerian as a sleeping aid for a friend. The reasoning being that they have BHP and need someone to relax prior to sleep that has anti-diuretic effects as well. Apparently valerian does.

I have two-ish questions:

Does anyone have experience with using valerian for its anti-diuretic effects? (Or is there any anti-diuretic herb that you would suggest?
And

Is valerian habit-forming?

There is so much conflicting information on the internet and in herbal guides in regards to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. : )

Happy incoming Mabon,

KE
kindredessences

Re: Valerian: habit-forming or not?

Postby RoseRed » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Everything I've ever read about valerian says that it can be habit forming. The herbalist at the herb shop in town will not recommend it for extended use.
~RoseRed~
It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
RoseRed

Postby nutmeg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I can see how it might be habit forming only in the sense that for "valerian people" (usually people who are colder constitutionally), this herb has a super strong knock-out effect. I'm one of them, and I feel really drugged with even a small amount. So even though I don't crave more valerian after I use it, the powerful effect of it could overpower the body's own rhythms and signals with extended use. That's my intuition about it, anyhow.

I think it's safe to experiment with in moderation, but I wouldn't ever advise it to someone for long term.

I didn't know about its anti-diuretic effects, but I would imagine there would be other, milder options.
nutmeg

Postby kindredessences » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 am

Thank you for the replies RoseRed and nutmeg. I appreciate your input. When I discussed it further with my friend we decide to start looking at other prostate supportive herbs. (Saw palmetto etc.)

I found some conflicting info on chamomile in this respect some sites claiming it's anti-diuretic and others that it is diuretic. Oh the internet it can be a confusing world sometimes.

<3

KE
kindredessences

Return to Healing Wise & Plant Allies