The sick herbalist......

Healing through nourishment the Wise Woman Way; discover the Six Steps of Healing; Talking with plants and honoring mother earth's green gifts via wildcrafting, gardening, weed walks, and botany "one plant at a time".

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter

The sick herbalist......

Postby LadyB » Tue May 13, 2003 12:37 pm

Argh....Nothin' CRANKIER [V]
Woke up at 3:30 night before last KNOWING my tonsils weren't the happiest part of my body.....BIG time. Double-droppers of Echinacea, 2 GrapeFruit Seed tablets and a good Gargle-fest with hot water, lemon juice and SALT.....a zinc lozenge and back to bed.
8am that morning I don't feel GREAT, but the tonsils are calmed down. Throat's sore as all hell (EVERYBODY in Cold Spring has had this, and I work in the HealthFood Store!) More gargling, Lemon Balm tincture for the growing congestion, start PUSHING the infusions, spoonfuls of very raw HONEY. I self-tested for Poke root and got a very rare POSITIVE, but decided not to take it and THEN go to work. I took it when I got home, also Cleavers to DRAIN the lymph glands.

Have to say, I got the throat plague, which most folks around here have been dragging around for WEEKS, dealt with in record time, but now it's just down to a good RIP-SNORTER of a cold.....More infusions, more Echinacea, more GrapeFruitSeed, lemon in EVERYthing. Right now I'm headed to a hot BAHHHHHHHth with Clary Sage EO in it....Infusion of LadyB.....

I remember an article Susun was part of years ago where herbalists were asked for their best 'cures' for the common cold. Consensus was, it had been so long since they'd HAD one, they really had to think. I seem to be getting handed opportunities for RESEARCH here. Was JUST reminded by one of my own patients of the value of the reflexology-esque value of the olde footrub.....ahhhh yes. And I want cayenne on EVERYthing.....

Everything's telling me DON'T PUSH....so I postponed my GardenCall (would have been done in drizzly showers anyway) and I need to just futz and putter and KICK BACK a bit.....and groan....Anybody mind if I GROAN a bit??? [:(] Groaning's good, and RESTING doesn't come in a bottle. Just need to yack up a few furballs and I'll be JEZ fine....

Cranky, schnuffy LadyB [:o)]

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Jayne Bond » Tue May 13, 2003 3:55 pm

LOL[:D]

I know how you feel Lady B, seems I got the same thing. I think that the cure for the common cold is plenty of rest, a JB OJ special and my famous buffalo spaghetti. This weekend I went out and installed two new gardens, one with a 12 diameter fish pond with rock waterfall[:0], partied like a rockstar passing the peace pipe around and woke up this morning with the most awful sore throat and sinuses. So I poured myself an echnicea tincture VO&OJ and am in the process of making the sauce. Here is the recipe:

<u>Buffalo Spaghetti Sauce</u>

1 can of tomato puree
1 can of tomato paste
1 large onion chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic
sea salt to taste
red pepper to taste
3 tbsps of each of the following dried: marjoram, echinacea, oregano, basil
1/4 lb of buffalo or other red meat
1/4 cup of red wine
2tbsp of olive oil

Brown the meat in the olive oil and drain the fat if you like. If you are vegan just omit the beef. Turn the heat on low and add the chopped onion and garlic, sautee until they carmelize adding wine to keep it moist. When the onions are translucent add the tomatos or puree & paste. Add the wine and the herbs. If you are going to use fresh herbs use half of the amount indicated. Turn the heat almost to off and then cook until the sauce thickens for a minimum of four hours. If the sauce gets too thick add either water or beef stock to dilute.

Serve with crusty bread, a fresh salad and freshly grated cheese.

You can also make a great dip for your bread by roasting an entire clove of garlic in olive oil. Remove the garlic cloves and mash. Place this mash into a serving dish and mix in about a 1/4 cup of olive oil. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar into the mix.

Don't forget to finish off the wine you opened.
[;)]JB
Jayne Bond

Postby LadyB » Tue May 13, 2003 4:39 pm

I was JUUUUUUUUSSSSSSTTTTTT thinkin'....
that best cure for congestion is a GOOD CRY [:(]
and best source of good cry
is an ASS-KICKIN' <i><b>ONION</b></i> [:0]
and best reason to interract with onion is.......(drum rollllllll) <i>MAKE SOUP!!!!!</i> [:p]

So THAT'S what I'm doing.....sorry, VeggieWimmen, but there's a CHICKEN in there with my name on it...and LOTS of onions and LOTS of garlic and LOTS of Lovage leaves......and very soon will be the added SECRET INGREDIENT [8)] One, magnificent, dried cayenne pepper I growed meself......she floats around, she does, and if she breaks, you get HOT SOUP [:0] and if she stays whole, you get PLEASANTLY WARM SOUP [^]. But either way you get SOUP....sure cure for all that AILS ya.

But Mz Jayne, that sauce of yours sounds like all KINDS of fun....will KEEP that recipe for another day....bet the four hours of aromatherapy while it simmers is as HEALING as anything else.

Much of me wishes I could get out of teaching BellyDancing tonite, but I can't reschedule the class.....perhaps this will be my one chance to 'do a Martha Graham'...walk around in a long dress coaching and not get all decked out, bare-bellied and DANCE for the whole hour like I always do. I tried to dance through the sho'nuff FLU over a month ago and crashed SO spectacularly the next day.....So, I'll take whatever's comin'........But the coolest thing is, no matter what I do, I will be completely SYMPTOM FREE while I AM dancing. Happens EVERY time. You get into Goddess Overdrive.

I have to laugh, I have one dear male friend who always suggests the same thing if I get a throat/cold plague....a SOCK wrapped about the neck and pinned with a safety pin that covers a good SLATHERING of Vicks Vaporub. Very VERY funny.....

There is nothing COMMON about a COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cough [:0] cough [:0] cough [:0]
Lady B ad her dose [:o)]

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Anonymous » Tue May 13, 2003 8:19 pm

this whole thread is hilarious.

I too am nursing a pre-menstrual, just-sit-self-down-and-deal-with-it, pre-cold, pre-crud, rest-now-it's-all-in-your-hands, pamperingly, moving slowly, don't-yell-at-anybody achiness/throat awareness/ CHIIIIILLL night.

Girlfriend and I have sausage, zucchini and garlic goin'

plus bottle of very lovely rioja.

And lots of love and music and old movies planned~

y'all get well
& I will too

~chignon~
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue May 13, 2003 8:21 pm

p.s. lady b:

I just did your test and am happy to report:
my body does indeed WANT the Rioja!!!
Anonymous

Postby LadyB » Tue May 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Yesssssssssssssssssss!
I TOLD you, Cignon, it answers the question "Can my body USE this right now" and it sounds like you got a resounding "OHHHHHHH yeah!"

How funny, aren't we all just a MESS.....can't REMEMBER the last time I came down with anything but Lyme disease in MAY.

I survived my bellydancing class, I DID dress, in a manner of speaking....long green velvet skirt and black long-sleeved top that COVERED the royal pudding, hip scarf with a zillion silver coins on it, and a three-strand necklace of HUGE green and silver balls pinned across my chest - definite "GoodWill" Goddess... I TOLD the women that they should just WATCH, although I showed up armed with tissues AND eucalyptus drops, once I started dancing -- not a cough, not a snort, not a drip....NOTHING. Sure enough.....

NOW, I'm goin' head first into bowl number two of GLORIOUS chicken soup (my, MY but it did come out well - trying not to slobber on the keyboard...) and I'm having a TOTAL congestion rebound.....heh, heh, heh, but I did DANCE out from under it for an hour.....Funny how it can just go on HOLD like that.....

But what I NEED is to be back up to SPEED tomorrow. Gotta do six hours at the Health Food Store and not sound like Typhoid Mary and look like LOUSY advertising, but THEN I have to quick grab dinner after I cash out at 6 and drive over an hour and give a LARGE lecture to the Westchester Garden Club....I was booked for this over A YEAR ago! We don't even REALLY have a topic, just MY take on Gardening...so I'm planning NOTHING, I'll just go tell stories and answer a zillion questions, GET PAID NICELY and drive home....oy.

So truly, I've TRIED to have a little TALK wid by dose, "Dose, we don't deed to do dis,[:o)]edough already with da research proje't. (shnarf)"...and in all seriousness, I DON'T need more echinacea, I really DON'T feel like I have an active invasion anymore, but what's left is serious housecleaning...ugh.

Alright, Cignon, I SAW you testing with that chocolate!!!!
(she laughs [:D], she coughs [:0][:0][:0])
This sounds like the alchie corner over here. Jayne's got the VO&OJ, Chignon's got the Rioja and I'm sitting here with all my tinctures in glass of brandy with a slice of lemon....hey, it's an ORGANIC lemon! But I am runnin' more Cleavers and my favorite sinus congestion combo: Lemon Balm and Goldenrod. I just hope I get my nose working enough to go to SLEEP.....

May we all greet the day tomorrow renewed, revived and rarin' to go.........or not.

Yours in a PILE of tissues,
Lady B

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby sapphire kate » Wed May 14, 2003 7:36 am

I don't suppose there is any point in me suggesting that you try doing nothing? [;)]. You know, go to bed, cancel appointments, be irresponsible, disappoint people.

Its ok, I'm just kidding (well, partly, anyway). I only really dare suggest such a thing 'cos I'm so lousy at doing it myself. I want the whole world to slow down abit because I'm doing way too much and I don't know how to stop.

Hey LadyB, I've been doing ech. and cleavers this week too. For me its a staph infection that makes my eyelids go puffy. I'm ok now, and had an absolutely fantastic sleep this afternoon (3hours!) after a week of chaos. I feel so much better.

My favourite ally for sore throats has been sage. I used to get sore throats every time something went around and used sage tincture acutely. One summer I got so sick of it (the sore throats) I took sage tincure very day for 3 months, and since then I hardly ever get them, or if I do they're not so bad.

blessings,
kate.
sapphire kate

Postby LadyB » Wed May 14, 2003 8:03 am

Hey kate,

It's funny, I really HAVE been thinking about how I honestly don't feel the NEED to cancel it all and go for down time. I've had a LOT of down time recently and I'm PLEASED that I have a bunch of interesting things to do. And, my dear, eight crippling rounds of Lyme over 15 years' time gave me all the lessons in Stepping OFF the MerryGoRound I'll EVER need.....It's just the timing of having this pushing on the big lecture that's bothersome. I'm not NERVOUS about the lecture at all.....love the Off The Cuff ones. Really don't know whazzup with this. Wasn't even feeling like my immune system was so compromised, except maybe a delayed reaction to the UNbelievable 24 hours that I KNEW my daughter was in labor but couldn't get ANY information as to whether or not she was alright (home birth, phone off hook, she far away in New Mexico, with GrandMomma in NY) I suppose that's REAL possible, but there was a two-week delay....ah well....

But sage, eh? I certainly can see that would have been a GRAND gargle, but I wouldn't have thought of taking it internally because I'm aware of its DRYING properties and I really felt I wanted to keep everything juicy and MOVING.

I slept FINE last night (I'm really SURPRISED with how stuffed my nose was) and woke up feeling that it had all PUDDLED in my lungs, and I've got that Lauren Bacall voice goin' here....so, Cayenne tincture in the coffee....[:p] THAT will rev the lungs RIGHT up!!! LOTS of water AND infusion (got REALLY intense Nettle/Oatstraw in the fridge, but I really want to water it DOWN some.) Mullein and Elderflower tinctures. oooooohhhhhh and actually, I really want CHICKWEED tincture too.....cooling and dissolving, sounds REAL nice.

I THINK this 'lesson' is about managing being sick while continuing to function in some sane manner. I have to MANAGE my fatigue-factor today, it's just gonna be a LONG one. You KNOW all symptoms will just MELT once I'm up in front of 30 avid gardeners and I'll be hacking all the way home. I'm promising myself plenty of DOWN TIME tomorrow....nothing planned but a pleasant weed walk in the afternoon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go do some operatic coughing in the shower [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Gettin' better, yes indeed
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Anonymous » Wed May 14, 2003 11:37 am

Lady B,

One nourishing dinner, bottle of red wine and flirtatious phone call later...I woke up this morning, stretched out on my yoga mat, and lo, there was the ~blood~!! Always such a relief and coming-home feeling to begin my cycle...renewed strength.

If you can't bring yourself to entirely "do nothing" then maybe you can "do one thing nothing" like refuse a certain kind of energy-zapping conversation from your co-workers, customers or colleagues?

By the way we *did* watch Lauren Bacall movies last night---*coincidence??* or were you ghosting our home??

~chig~
Anonymous

Postby LadyB » Fri May 16, 2003 8:47 am

Guilty as charged, definitely ghosting in my Lauren Bacall dress! [8D]
My improvement as of today is nothing short of miraculous and I'm SURE it has a LOT to do with staying with the herbs and LISTENING to what my body needed. I'm still hearing of folks who have 'had this' for SIX weeks, TEN weeks....and I'm at the pre-coffee edge of day 5 and feeling pretty derned OK. I would like to thank Mullein tincture for the SPLENDID job on the olde lungs. I'd like to thank Cleavers tincture for getting those MOST unhappy lymph glands moving along in record time. I'd like to thank Hart Brent for teaching me to Self-Test so I could tell when to LET GO of the Echinacea ROOT and switch to the whole plant and when to STOP taking echinacea at all.

And it was also a very interesting experiment to see how I COULD do what I needed to do and put the plague ON HOLD. Fortunately my life is made from spare parts, separate projects, not endless long days at the same JOB (but that's what makes cancelling any of those spare parts financially VERY difficult), but it allowed me to sprint and crash some.

And WHY did I get three respiratory plagues since December? Well, beating myself up is no Tai Chi move.....two were DEFINITELY from stress SO severe it drove me to tears. At one end was the air in my apartment becoming utterly poisoned by paint and varnish fumes below it (that's been remedied, but it took its toll) and as stated above, the hand-wringing 24 hours of KNOWING my daughter was in labor and not being able to get any assurance from anywhere that she and the baby were OK was a lot harder than ever I could have imagined. Not sure where the middle one came from, other than a pretty work-less winter and the job at the Health Food store where the sick people come to feel better.

So, the herbalist gets sick sometimes. And she DEALS with it. Cuts herself some slack, pushes through if she really needs to. Had this gotten any more pneumonia-like I WOULD have sought help, really. There IS more to healing than This Herb For This Ouch...and where better to learn it than on yourself!

Today I'm just battle-weary (was awakened out of a SOUND sleep by the Toyota folks calling me.......)My 1pm Garden Consult is due to be rained out. I'll clean up the FLOCKS of tissues and settle down to a rainy day here....JUST fine with me!

This thread doesn't have to end here. I think it would be valuable to hear how the rest of you care for YOURSELVES when you get sick.

on the mend,
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby LadyB » Sat May 17, 2003 6:37 pm

....except that I may be being treated to a ReBoot Virus here....I was doin' JEZ fine, just down to barnyard noises and goin' for that last furball.....but today......started feelin' feverish some, had a touch of the runs....and the confounded sore throat started ALL OVER AGAIN. This is UNbelievable.

Alright. So we drop back and PUNT here.....back to the Echinacea Whole Plant, and NOW I think I'll try the sage tincture. I'm in NO MOOD TO DO THIS AGAIN!! [:(!]

I DID that garden call yesterday as we didn't get the rain, but it got progressively colder and windier as the time wore on. I was pretty schnuffy by the time I left (but it was SUCH fun...I found chickweed, cleavers, Motherwort, mugwort, lamb's quaters and dock to show the astonished homeowner. (complete with my FREE FOOD!! [:D] ROUTINE.)

But I need to get SERIOUS here now. I'm NOT goin' down a second time (although this is EXACTLY what this precise virus has been doing to EVERYbody.) My instinct wants LOTS of St J's wort.....all radar is tuned to VIRUS. And everything in me NOW wants to just crawl into bed and CHILL....

Oh, Chignon, I have also had that "I'm comin' DOWN with somethin'" feeling the DAY before my period, and with my history of Lyme, I FELL for it every time. It came with a verifiable SORE THROAT and aches and miseries. Somewhere in Matthew Wood's wonderful book "The Book of Herbal Wisdom" was the only time I've ever heard such a thing MENTIONED and he recommended Vervain tincture or flower essence. Sure enough, works like a charm. If you've got the chance to GIVE IN to needing the CHILL-OUT time, go RIGHT ahead, but when you really NEED to get beyond that, give the Vervain Flower Essence a Try......

So it is ABSOLUTELY Coddle the Herbalist night here.....gonna find me a good movie, stay trundled in bed and not do ANYthing I don't want to.

Oh!![:0] Who was it suggested the SAGE TINCTURE!! WOW. Oh, does that ever Feel/Taste/Smell/OhYeah/GOOOOOOOOD. Kate....THANK YOU for that!

Alright, let's see how it GOES here, women......
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby LadyB » Sun May 18, 2003 6:49 pm

This is SOOOOO funny.
After giving out my Sage Advice to chignon, guess what yesterday's feverish/I'm-comin'-DOWN-with-somethin' AGAIN thing was all about???? Got my 4-second PERIOD today! Since my partial hysterectomy left my cervix and ovaries, I do everything BUT bleed. And with the tiny bit of uterine tissue left on the cervix, I just BARELY spot when I WOULD get my period. No virus came back today, no reboot.....just MY brand of PMS. Had I THOUGHT to take the Vervain Flower Essence it all would have stopped, but what the hey. Climbin' into bed WASN'T such a bad idea at all.......[:D]. And we think we KNOW SO MUCH......[;)][:0][^]

Just LOVE it when it all sneaks up on me [:I]
Lady B, bellydancin' her way along the HORMONACOASTER!!!!!!

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby StormWatcher » Mon May 19, 2003 10:22 am

My normal answer to the crap and crud is to rest completely a day, then get out and walk HARD AND LONG (blow the gunk out), and get out the hot tea and herbal inhalations for the whole time I'm yucky. I always come back from the walking, unloading those furballs and filling several tissues. Then treat with soothing herbal inhalations and essential oil rubs. Hot teas and fruit juices all day. Chinese hot and sour soup all day.

(My mom used to make us <b>eat</b> Vick's![xx(]...how yucky is that???)

Kathleen
StormWatcher

Postby organicmama » Mon May 19, 2003 10:52 am

I am like crackin up at you guys. Being sick is a major drag.
But I do have one suggestion. How about stay home and keep this thing from spreading further.
In our society we push ourselves continually. We have jobs-deadlines, bills to pay, etc....
But when we are sick and we are out mingling, we pass the germs on-which keeps the thing going.

I get pretty upset when the entire office gets sick because others would not stay home. Many times I have escaped the illness becasue I began tinctures as soon as the illness was in contact with me, but we are not always that lucky.

I am not being condemning. I just think it is wise to stop, get well, and then get back to the public life when you are well. I think you may do yourself and others a great favor.
This is a lesson I have learned. We go to an outing-a sick child there-won't stay home because they didn't wat to miss the outing, and then my children come down with it-then maybe me or DH too. All from one person.
So maybe you could hang in the bath with your yummy chicken soup and curl up and reflect on your life and focus on yourself for a little while. I mean, you are worth it!
organicmama

Postby LadyB » Mon May 19, 2003 11:15 pm

I used to work at a plant nursery where the owner's Mother would announce triumphantly that she had some HORRENDOUS fever, but still came down to work....then there would be all this grumbling when ALLLLL of us caught it, so I HEAR ya.

I used as much common sense as I could, no hugs, no hand-shaking, lots of hand-washing. I did the things I felt I didn't have much of a choice in......and BAILED on the things I thought I could.

When my daughter was little, I truly appreciated when the school nurses pronounced that children were to be kept home until they'd had 24 hours with a normal temp. That really cut down on the contagion from kids sent back to school before they were well.....but I was also a single Mom at that time who would lose a day's pay if I stayed home with my child. I did NOT send her to school sick.

While I did not need more lessons in Letting Go and Bailing Out, (Lyme did a SPLENDID JOB of that) I WAS aware of how this particular siege would have been easier had I had any kind of partner in my life to help carry the load. Ah well. You do what you gotta do.

I TOTALLY hear you, organicmama, I do.....
I don't feel that I 'infected' anyone at the Garden Club Lecture, or on the Weed Walks (where I managed NOT to touch the dear baby who came along) or the bellydancing classes. But yeah, I HEAR ya.

LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Next

Return to Healing Wise & Plant Allies