white clover salve

Healing through nourishment the Wise Woman Way; discover the Six Steps of Healing; Talking with plants and honoring mother earth's green gifts via wildcrafting, gardening, weed walks, and botany "one plant at a time".

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter

white clover salve

Postby Gr8hands » Tue May 24, 2005 6:48 pm

Our yard is covered in white clover, it's blooming and smells wonderful! Today I had a blast from the past. When I was a kid my Mom used "White Cloverine Salve" for just about every scratch or scrape I had, and I had plenty! So I picked a jar full of clover blossoms and poured the oil to them. I haven't done any research on clover but by gosh I'm gonna make and use that salve if it smells as wonderful in a jar as it does in the yard.
Yes, I am menopausal, thank you for noticing. I have pepper spray in one pocket and chocolate in the other.
Gr8hands

Postby Lady Belladonna » Tue May 24, 2005 10:27 pm

That sounds wonderful! has anyone tried a salve made from red clovers? There is a lot of it that grows wild in my area, I picked a lot last year for infusions but didn't think of making a salve with it.
Thanks for the idea, Gr8Hands.

oh and I love your little quote there at the bottom of your posts, :lol:
BOY can I relate to that these days!
Let us know how your lovely salve turns out.

Belladonna
Lady Belladonna

Postby whitefeather treewicca » Wed May 25, 2005 4:17 am

I made some red clover infused olive oil this summer, but havent used it much yet, just added a bit to a blend i keep by the bed for back rubs (etc.lol).
I had thought it might help keep skin cancers away - but that was just an idea i had.
WFTW
..ps.thats ONE upside of farming districts - heaps of clover....
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held her ground
whitefeather treewicca

Postby Livia » Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 pm

Question: Would sesame oil work as well as olive oil? How 'bout plain 'ol vegetable oil? I've never tried anything with oils before so I'm curious.

As a little aside, I found over a dozen four-leaf white clovers today!
The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for thy wits to grow sharper.
Livia

Postby Gr8hands » Sun May 29, 2005 6:59 pm

Livia, sesame oil would be fine. Any cold pressed seed or nut oil would work. almond, grapeseed, etc. However, cooking oil uses a chemical to expell the oil from the plant. chemicals are not a good thimg to use topically or internally. Olive is a favorite because it has it's own healing qualities and a longer shelf life than many of the other oils we use. (And don't even ask about canola oil unless you want us to burst a blood vessel! LOL! It's NASTY stuff! Don't use it for living creatures.)
Yes, I am menopausal, thank you for noticing. I have pepper spray in one pocket and chocolate in the other.
Gr8hands

Postby wildflower » Mon May 30, 2005 8:32 am

I've never used white clover medicinally. Only red. Does anyone know how the two clover flowers differ?
Wildflower's Place - http://www.wildflowersplace.com
wildflower

Postby Livia » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks Gr8hands, for the info.

wildflower: Here's a page from a site I frequent: http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/clovrd75.html
The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for thy wits to grow sharper.
Livia

Postby LadyB » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:44 am

Here's another
http://montana.plant-life.org/species/trifol_repe.htm
Though I'm seeing nothing here that would make me jump to infuse the flowers in oil. I like Gr8hands' 'blast from the past' better. I wonder if your Mom put anything else in the salve that it was named Cloverine......
LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
http://www.ladybarbara.net
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby Gr8hands » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:10 am

My Mom bought the Cloverine Salve, she didn't make it. Believe it or not, I FOUND the container of the stuff! (And who says being a pack rat is a bad thing?<giggle>) It's called White Cloverine Salve. (Oh dear!) Ingredients -- White petrolatum compounded with inactive amounts of Rectified Turpentine oil, white wax and perfume! Well, don't we know better than to use this stuff now? LOL! It still smells like I remember it to smell, just like white clover! Clover in vaseline, but clover just the same. My clover in olive oil will smell better and be healthier. :lol:

I was sitting out on the deck breathing in the wonderful aroma of the clover when the memory of the smell of the Cloverine salve smacked me upside the head! Well heck, it's only a little time picking clover and a little oil, if it didn't turn out right it would be okay. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It may prove to not be a miracle oil, but it's taken me back to my childhood, remembering a pleasant memory. It's worth a half pint of oil.
Gr8hands

Postby LadyB » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:23 am

Now THAT's fascinating....
And oh YEAH PackRats Rule!!
Petrolatum and turpentine. And oh yeah....White Clover. It will be WONDERFUL to see how your salve turns out. You just might want to do part Clover infused oil and part PINE infused oil and melt it into Bee's wax and see how close you get. I wonder what it was that made the original manufacturer to chose White Clover.....pull that thread to the present day!

This is GREAT.
LadyB

whoa! and look at this, you can STILL get the ORIGINAL!
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shop ... d=inceptor

AND WAIT, it gets BETTER!
http://www.wtrn.net/wilsonchemicalcompany.htm
Lady Barbara, 62!,
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby Gr8hands » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Oh LadyB thank you for those web sites! I loved them! Boy I can feel my Mom looking at it over my shoulder. <warm fuzzies> You've made my day.

I don't have any pine oil, don't know how to make it. Don't have access to a pine tree, but there are many red cedars in the yard, would they substitute adaquately?
Gr8hands

Postby LadyB » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:35 pm

I was just thinking in terms of the turpentine part. You'll probably do JUST fine with just the White Clover oil. Cedars and Pines are really quite different.

Didn't you just LOVE the way the price went from the original twenty-five cents in the what, 1930's (actually it was developed in the 1860's) to I think as high as $6.99 on one site? And the ingredients don't even TALK about the white clover, even though clover blossoms are all over the label. Interesting, interesting.

LadyB
Lady Barbara, 62!,
online herb classes!
LadyB

Postby Peace » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:25 pm

I wonder if Cloverine might be refering to White Sweet Clover, Melilotus Albus. I once made a salve of this simply because I love the smell of it so much. It has skin softening properties as well as healing ulcers.

I love this plant.

Peace ~*~
Peace

Postby RinaWhiteStar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:24 pm

:D i've tried to make this salve...Used White Dutch Clover,Vaseline and Beeswax...We don't know this salve in Holland so because i've infused the white clover in olive oil i thought it would be nice to try to make this salve.Hope i did it okay?,

:)
If you have a garden and a library,you have everything you need,
* Cicero*

'when you take the dirt out,make sure you have a place for it'
*Twylah Nitsch*
RinaWhiteStar

Postby RinaWhiteStar » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:09 am

*bump* ;) for Odile :)
If you have a garden and a library,you have everything you need,
* Cicero*

'when you take the dirt out,make sure you have a place for it'
*Twylah Nitsch*