HEALING HERNIATED DISC AND OTHER ISSUES

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

HEALING HERNIATED DISC AND OTHER ISSUES

Postby thecosmiccrocheter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:08 pm

HI,
i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to heal 2 lumbar herniated disc,without surgery or medical help? what about curing fibromyalgia and CFS? or a bad SI joint? without meds or DRs? my state health insurance covers very little and i can not afford holistic care. i need to be able to work and not just be pain free. i want to fix these issues once and for all.
thanks.
susan
thecosmiccrocheter

Postby Narayani » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:36 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I hear your pain and as someone who has suffered from reoccuring back pain, I can understand your urgent wish to be finally pain free. It has taken some time but I have learned (and continue to learn every day) that the most successful approach is one where I nourish and encourage my body's natural capacity to heal.

In that vein, there have been a few threads in the past on all of the issues you mention. If you go to the menue, which is located just under Susun's banner at the top of this page and click on the word search you can enter whatever topic you want to research and find many threads will past discussions that may help you.

Recently I discoverd two books on healing the back that I have found to be very valuable. HEALING THE BACK NATURALLY by Art Brownstein is available through the amazon site (and if you are in North America you can probably find the book at the public library)
Here is the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain ... 0743424646

The other book BACK CARE BASICS by Mary Pullig Schatz is also available on amazon and part of it as an ebook through google books. Here is the googel books link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=0J-wdl ... lt#PPP1,M1

Both of these books are written by doctors who are yoga instructors and have personal experience of healing from back trauma. While they use gentle variations on yoga asanas to heal the back, they also write about diet, lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques. I highly recommend the books.
Pranams
Narayani
Narayani

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yofy/

Postby HugsnKisses » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:52 am

Hi and I totally agree with Narayani with nourishing for certain.
Matthew Wood and jim mcdonald make reference to goldenseal applied topically and I can tell you that a neighbor has used St John's Oil, goldenseal tincture, Solomon's Seal tincture and Teasel Root tincture in a formula for his old back injury and was able to go out in the field and bale hay relatively pain free. Which is good since the pain was intense all the way to the groin. Personally I feel that the back injury itself is perhaps causing the symptoms of fibro. I recently read an article on Pau D'arco internally for fibromyalgia that seemed to prove helpful for one gal. Also Susun has mentioned Mother's wort on her website as benefiting some with fibro.
For the SI joint, cartilage, muscle, and ligament health may be what you need to focus on...things you may want to thoroughly investigate gotu kola, solomon's seal, comfrey, horsetail, mullein root, teasel root.
CFS again I would look into the nourishing tonics Nettles, Oatstraw, Alfalfa once you feed your sytems the proper nutrition the balance should come back and bring the energy with them. Always discuss the use of herbal supplements with your Primary Health care practitioner. I am no way shape or form qualified in any way to diagnose treat or cure any disease or illness I am just somene who tinkers with our green friends : )
Deanna
Deanna aka HugsnKisses
"Trust your natural instincts"
HugsnKisses

Postby jim mcdonald » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:24 pm

I've worked with back injuries extensievly with clients and on myself; a large humk of what I have to say can be found here:

www.herbcraft.org/backpain.html

best to print it out to read it, as there's probvably twenty pages or so there and reading it on a screen will bum out your eyes.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
jim mcdonald

Postby Saint Francesca » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:19 am

Wow, Jim. That's an amazing amount of very useful info.

You're so lucky being able to use Lobelia. It's illegal here, even to have it in the garden (we can get spot checks from the Therapeutic Goods Administration & get a dreaded yellow ribbon placed around the plant in question!!!!). Also, Comfrey, safe in most other parts of the world, suddenly becomes toxic when it crosses into Australian waters ... also illegal to use internally.

All I can say is POOT!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
Saint Francesca

Postby redmaples » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Thank You Jim McDonald.

Cosmiccrocheter...have you come up w/ a treatment/nourishment plan for yourself yet? Thanks for posting your question...it helps others too. :)
redmaples

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest