Salicylate-free lotion/cream recipe for eczema?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Salicylate-free lotion/cream recipe for eczema?

Postby thestilldance » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi everyone
I have been asked my a friend if I can make a cream for her two year old who has had eczema since birth. They have recently put him on a salicylate-free diet and are trialling that, but she needs something to apply to his skin that is also salicylate-free. Some oils are low in salicylates, and ok to eat in small doses, but she is concerned about the effect that being covered all over in them might have.
This is all new territory to me, so if anyone has any wisdom to share I would be most grateful !

thanks very much :)
thestilldance

Re: Salicylate-free lotion/cream recipe for eczema?

Postby crystal woman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Thestilldance, welcome to the forum.

New territory indeed !! Poor little guy, I hope the change to salicylate-free diet will help him. Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, and possibly nobody else here does either for as you said, this is new (and perplexing) territory, but I'm bumping this up to the top again in case anyone who might not have seen this question yet might be able to provide some answers.

crystal woman

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 am

Hi

I've never heard of salicylate before. Just had a look on the search engine though. . .

My son has had eczema since birth too, he's three now. I've found plantain oil the one he likes the most (that's plantain leaves in olive oil). We did try out burdock root oil but it wasn't so helpful. Great fun digging up the roots together though. But couldn't say if they contain salicylate or not. . .

We have found burdock root infusion very helpful and are also experimenting with homeopathic remedies right now.

It's just a personal feeling, that allergies and intolerances are held responsible for a lot of skin complaints that actually come from a more subtle source. I say that after trying gluten-free and dairy-free diets and finding they can cause more stress than they prevent. Of course every case is different.

Wishes of health for your friend's boy

Melissa
Time is priceless... work for free
Melissa Doordaughter

Postby thestilldance » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 pm

thankyou for the replies :)

yes, I agree Melissa, and especially since there seems to be no one solution for eczema...everyone is completely different. His eczema is certainly aggravated by stress, and stress/tiredness appear to bring on the need to scratch which of course makes everything worse.

A the moment they are using wet bandage wrapping to try and soothe things, and that seems to be helping. He helps as much as he can, and tells his parents when he wants to scratch..at two years old!

Rice bran oil seems to be one that is coming up as being used in salicylate free creams, so we may give that a go...

thanks again
Steph
thestilldance

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest