Help please!! Very painful tooth/gum infection & pregnant!

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Re: Help please!! Very painful tooth/gum infection & pregnan

Postby Cat of the Moonlit Wood » Thu May 12, 2011 7:22 pm

It sounds like the wisdom tooth needs to be pulled.
Cat of the Moonlit Wood

Postby Sashamarts » Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 pm

you need to get a handle on this ASAP - dental infections CAN cause miscarriage (or early labor if they occur later in the pregnancy). if herbal remedies just aren't cutting it, you really may want to consider that antibiotic. antibiotics are safe during pregnancy, but these kinds of infections are not. I know you are worried about the abx harming your baby, but this infection can cause a lot of harm too... it's frightening how fast these infections can spread into the jaw bone, throat or even to the brain. IMO it's not worth the risk. my husband needed 2 shots of potent abx AND a massive dose of pills to fight a severe tooth abcess, and that infection came on so fast, overnight it turned from a "sore spot" to massive swelling (you couldn't recognise him on that side) I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know this can get really nasty quickly, and that would be a lot worse for your baby.
And don't worry about your baby being hungry, right now his/her nutritional needs are very small, your body will pull from its stores to nourish baby.

best of luck
Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust!!!
Sashamarts

Postby sapphire kate » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I'd also be seeing a dentist. If the tooth has to be pulled due to displacement better to have that done now, than spend a fortnight on ABs, and then another fortnight on ABs if the tooth is taken out later.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby RoseRed » Fri May 13, 2011 8:29 am

I would be less worried about taking the antibiotics than I would be of taking high doses of Vit C.

Abscessed teeth HURT! Dental pain is some of the most painful pain there is. You have my sympathies. My first abscessed tooth hurt so badly that it frightened me.

Another thing to remember is that dental infections can also spread to the heart. I don't remember the why of it tho.

If the abscess 'pops' please be sure not to swallow the pus.

Taking the anti-biotics is completely your choice but I do think in this case it's better for you to take them than not to. It's very difficult to eat with severe mouth pain. I would be making soups and bone broths to boost your nutrient intake while 'hard' foods are difficult for you.

My Dad has had much success packing around his ascessed teeth with ground cinnamon. It's also a natural anti-biotic.

Kate - question for you regarding usnea tincture. I've read that it can build up in the kidneys. I don't know if there's any truth to that claim. Do you know anything about that?
~RoseRed~
It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
RoseRed

Postby AussieSwede » Fri May 13, 2011 9:24 am

I know the thread is long ago.. But I would like to share something. That when you feel any pain in your gums or mouth, the first aid is to take a warm water with salt solution, enough to be so salty and make it as a mouth wash... ;)
jon gabriel method
Last edited by AussieSwede on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieSwede

Postby feminine_earth » Fri May 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I started taking the antibiotics last night.

Please don't be concerned over the amount of Vitamin C that I'm taking. I am not taking more than 3000mg per day. That is *not* enough to cause miscarriage/abortion.

The pain is still severe, but less so than yesterday. If anyone has any tips as to how to re-balance my body after I'm done taking the abx, please share. I plan on taking probiotics, getting lots of sun for Vitamin D, and consuming lots of antioxidants through food. I'm sure there's more I can do, though.

Thank you all for your concerns and advice. I truly appreciate it!
Student Midwife and Aspiring Herbalist; always learning, always loving.
feminine_earth

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri May 13, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm glad you decided on the AB's, as you can see we are all worried about you.
I was on AB's for an infection last month, I boosted the Penicillin with Garlic tincture because it seemed the AB wasn't working (no working as fast as I needed it too...OUCH!)

Plain yogurt, no sugar if you can help it and plenty of water.
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby RoseRed » Fri May 13, 2011 3:08 pm

LA - can you tell me more about your garlic tincture? I've never heard of it before now.
~RoseRed~
RoseRed

Postby sapphire kate » Fri May 13, 2011 4:43 pm

RoseRed wrote:Kate - question for you regarding usnea tincture. I've read that it can build up in the kidneys. I don't know if there's any truth to that claim. Do you know anything about that?

No, other than there is some concern about a weight loss supplement causing liver damage, that contains usnic acid (don't know if it came from usnea, and the supplement is nothing even close to being usnea tincture). Do you have a source for the claim?

http://herbwyfe.blogspot.com/2009/01/us ... ichen.html
sapphire kate

Postby sapphire kate » Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 pm

feminine_earth wrote:I plan on taking probiotics, getting lots of sun for Vitamin D, and consuming lots of antioxidants through food. I'm sure there's more I can do, though.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things :-)
sapphire kate

Postby anita » Sat May 14, 2011 5:44 am

Nothing to add, except to send well wishes. All the best!
laugh!
anita

Postby RoseRed » Sat May 14, 2011 9:21 am

No, kate, I don't. I came across it last fall and it's stuck in my head but I can't find the link to it. Thanx for the link.
~RoseRed~
RoseRed

Postby wildflower » Sat May 14, 2011 10:16 am

You have an abscess? Someone on another forum had an abscess. Here's the thread if you want to peruse:

http://www.eytonsearth.org/forum/about10.html

It was interesting anyway. The person in the thread used silver and clay primarily. I have never once used colloidal silver for anything. I use tea tree oil for mouth stuff.
Wildflower's Place - http://www.wildflowersplace.com
wildflower

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat May 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Garlic tincture...I rough chopped enough garlic to fill an 8 oz. jar then covered the Garlic with 100 proof Vodka.
it's antibacterial, antifungal and quite handy to have because it's a lot easier to get down when not feeling up to munching several raw cloves of garlic.

Tea Tree...we have a dental/mouth/throat issue combo of Tea Tree, Peppermint and water, makes a great rinse/gargle.
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby RoseRed » Sat May 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Awesome! Thanx LA.
~RoseRed~
RoseRed

PreviousNext

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest