tincture dosage

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

tincture dosage

Postby Cindy3539 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:56 pm

What is the standard dosage for a tincture? I would like to make a tincture of astragalus root because I just can't stomach the taste of the tea. Thank you so much for any help. Cindy
Cindy3539

Re: tincture dosage

Postby OldWaysHerbal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Cindy,

The dosage really depends on how strong the tincture is, and what you're using it for. If you're just using the astragalus for maintaining health and balance the dose will be really small. If you're using it to try to heal an existing problem, like say for example an autoimmune issue, the dose will be larger. It also depends on your constitution--some people are very sensitivie and don't need a lot, whereas others need a lot to get effects. I would suggest starting out with a smaller dose, maybe 1/2 a dropper, and increasing day by day until you start feeling clear headed, fresh, and energetic--that'll be the astragalus. Good luck!
OldWaysHerbal

Postby Cindy3539 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 am

/Thank you for your quick reply. I do have some health issues & just started drinking the tea, but I find the taste so disgusting that I don't drink enough to do much good & was wondering if taking hte tincture would be easier for me to do.
I am new at this and have never made a tincture. I need to make an astragalus root tincture that is 1:5 extract. Is that what I will get if I tincture the root in 80-100 proof vodka?

Thank you so much. Cindy
Cindy3539

Postby RoseRed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:49 am

You can use and will see a variety of different alcohol strengths for tinctures. Susun Weed recommends using 100proof (or 50%) vodka. This will equally draw out the 'good stuff' that is water and alcohol soluble. There are many herbalists that use pharmaceutical grade 95% alcohol as their norm. I think a lot of it depends on who you've studied under, knowing which herbs are better absorbed into a higher alcohol solution and your own personal preference that's created over time.

I usually use 100proof vodka which is 50% alcohol for most of my tinctures. I use 150proof 75% Everclear for my usnea tinctures. Where I live that's the highest alcohol percentage that you can get. I can drive across the border into a neighboring state and actually buy 95% alcohol over the counter.
-----------------------------------------

The 1:5 ratio that you're asking about has nothing to do with the percentage of alcohol in the vodka. That has to do with the ounces of liquid and the weight of the herb. The 1:5 ratio also tells me that you're using dried herb. You'll usually see a 1:2 ratio when using fresh because there is already so much fluid in the fresh herb that you don't need to add as much. I usually do a 1:4 ratio across the board but that's just me but neither is really wrong.

The first number in the ratio (1:_) is how much herb you're planning on using - I'll give you two examples

one ounce dried herb
3 ounces of dried herb.

The second number in the ratio (_:5) is how much vodka/menstruum liquid you'll use. Multiply the number of ounces by the 2nd number in the ratio

1 ounce herb X 5 = 5 ounces of vodka/menstruum liquid

or

3 ounces herb X 5 = 15 ounces of vodka/menstruum liquid.

So, for my 1:4 ratio I could use 4 ounces of dried herb X the 2nd number which is 4 in this example = 16 ounces of fluid.
----------------------------

There's also different ways of combining the alcohol and herbs. Some people just put it in a jar and leave it that way. Others recommend putting it in a blender to further break down the cell walls of the herb and then put it in a jar. I've tried it both ways. I don't really know if there is a difference in the finished product but the herbs I've put in the blender get started leeching into the menstruum much faster.
~RoseRed~
It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
RoseRed

Postby Cindy3539 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Thank you so much! What an educational post. It was easy for me to understand & I appreciate that. I look forward to tincturing my dried astragalus root.

cindy
Cindy3539

Postby RoseRed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm

You're very welcome, Cindy.

There's so much information to absorb when you first get into herbs. It's a pretty good learning curve. I was fortunate in that I found this forum in the beginning and have really learned a lot here.

One thing that's very cool - when using a light dried leaf and a 1:4 ratio - 4 ounces of herb and 16 ounces of fluid fit just about perfectly in a quart jar. :D
~RoseRed~
It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
RoseRed

Postby jim mcdonald » Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I've got some ponderings on dosage here:

` www.herbcraft.org/dosing.html

As far as astragalus goes, though some people will tell you tincture is a poor choice or even doesn't work, I've definitely seen it work. But, it's not my favorite preparation for that herb, and I prefer adding it to bone broths.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
jim mcdonald

Postby Cindy3539 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Being new to the wonderful world of herbs, I didn't know that tincturing wasn't the ideal way of taking astragalus. I have gone back to the infusions. I did make a big pot of vegetable soup the other day, and threw in about 5 pieces of astragalus.
Cindy3539

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest