How to prepare (powder) ashwagandha roots?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

How to prepare (powder) ashwagandha roots?

Postby daorlando » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 am

This was my first year of successfully growing and harvesting some ashwagandha roots, which are now in the process of being dried. Now I'm somewhat at a loss of how to prepare them. I would like to powder them instead of tincture them, but I'm not sure how to proceed. :-k

* The roots have an inner part and an outer bark. Should I use both or should the outer bark be discarded?

* The roots are quite hard. How do you usually grind them into a soft powder? I'm afraid they might be too much for my small coffee grinder machine.

Thank you!
daorlando

Re: How to prepare (powder) ashwagandha roots?

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:46 pm

From my understanding the WHOLE root is used...inner and outer.

To powder HARD roots a hammer is a must! Break up the fiber structure then it can go into a mechanical grinder.

Are you planning on powdering all of the root and then storing?
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby nutmeg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I prefer ashwagandha root the (supposedly) traditional way- dried, then infused or decocted gently for a tea with carminative spices, some fat and/or milk, and a bit of honey or maple syrup.

Or here's another way, from Oregon's Natural Harvest page:

"Ashwagandha Ghee

..this recipe is for people who prefer the traditional way to take herbs. This is an adaptation of an ancient "rasayana" recipe as documented in Ayurvedic (traditional Indian) medicine, and it is indicated as an energizing tonic to restore vitality. In a previous newsletter we shared the traditional preparation of Ashwagandha in milk, the Mainly Manly Lassi. As with the milk, this preparation using ghee is oily to help extract the compounds from the root and make them bioavailable to the body.

Ingredients

1 cup of Ashwagandha powder
1 cup of Ghee
1 cup of Honey
Directions

Prepare an indirect heating method by placing a bowl in a slightly larger pan. Fill the pan with water so that it comes half way up the sides of the bowl.
Add the ingredients to the inner bowl and gently heat.
Stir for 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
Once cooled, place mixture in a clean, cool, dry jar.
Place a lid on the jar and label.
Store in the refrigerator.
Use 1 tablespoon daily, as a condiment, in cooking or in warm milk."
nutmeg

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Nutmeg...that sounds so good!

Honey and Ghee...Oh MY!!!!! :D
*~As the rain on a mountain peak runs off the slopes on all sides, so those who see only the seeming multiplicity of life run after things on every side~* (The Upanishads)
Lady Alinor

Postby Narayani » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:17 am

I can't tell you how to make powder from ashwagandha root, but I'll tell you how I'd find out. I'd post the question on my ayurvedic doctor's facebook page. His name is Dr Swaroop Verma and he grew up and trained in India. He comes from a line of ayurvedic doctors. I think he'd be more than happy to answer your question. If you are interested here's the link.

http://www.facebook.com/swaroop.verma?sk=wall

(I hope you do ask, because I am interested to hear his answer. :) )
Pranams
Narayani
Narayani

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yofy/

Postby teegirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Daorlando,

I don't have experience with what your request is so I hope you do not mind me asking you this question.

A protocol I am on, suggests 1000 mg of Ashwagandha at night for sleep. Experiencing benefit through "whole herb" against "brand name" company herb capsuls or pills I much prefer the truer herb source now for sure.

That said, do you notice a benefit of it for sleep? I don't know why you like it so wondered if you knew if it worked well for that or not.

Thankyou. :)
teegirl

Postby daorlando » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

@Lady Alinor, that's a great advice! Just beat the hell out of them using a hammer and then use a mechanical grinder. Thank you!! :) And yes, I'm planning on powdering them all and then storing.

@nutmeg, thanks for the lovely recipe!

@Narayani, thanks for the advice. I'll ask him.

@teegirl, unfortunatly ashwagandha keeps me awake at night, but so do all other calmative herbs. The only thing that knocks me out is skullcap. Best ashwagandha whole herb in US is IMO sold by pacificbotanicals.com and mountainroseherbs.com (as advised by Kiva Rose)
daorlando

Postby teegirl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 am

Hi Daorlando,

I just not thought to check this.

Oh gee, everything keeps you awake. Rats. Well, thanks for the reference where to buy the whole herb from. I really appreciate it.
teegirl

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest