herbal smoking blends

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Postby feminine_earth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 am

jim, can I ask you how often you smoke? And what do you store your smoking herbs in...a glass jar? With the pear/apple slice in it? Do you have any ideas on where to get a nice pipe?

Thanks! :D
Student Midwife and Aspiring Herbalist; always learning, always loving.
feminine_earth

Postby feminine_earth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 am

Oh, and one more question. Dried red cornsilk, or fresh green/yellow?
feminine_earth

Postby jim mcdonald » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:44 am

cornsilk:
dried; yellow is ideal, but even the brown stuff you find commercially will do.

As for how often, it depends, a lot. Lately, not very much, though in the past, going through a hard spell, sometime daily, but then always with ceremony, not habitiually. I should say that I've never smoked habitually, so perhaps this was easier for me to acheive.

Don't store the smoking mix damp, if you have it in glass; you can get mold. Keep the brunt of what you've made dry, and keep some that you're using in a breatheable container/bag...

I made one of my pipes (the one in the pic is my prayer pipe), and had another made for me by a friend, which looks more or less like Gandalf's pipe; a long churchwardeny thing.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
jim mcdonald

Postby feminine_earth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:05 am

Thanks Jim! :D
feminine_earth

Postby jim mcdonald » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 am

oh, and:

I so want to hang out with ananda and her mom!

That post rules, ananda... any chance you could add it to your blog so I could link to it? That first blend sounds *exquisite*.

One thing I learned from Mairi Ross was that in lew of the (in my opinion) too often used "Mint for flavor" was to add fennel or anise seeds. ~delightful~.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
jim mcdonald

Postby suebee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

hay Jim are people really smoking there mulch? isnt it treated with some kind of bug killer? lol...
I want to hang out with jim and make a pipe!

I have asthsma and right now am finding my Motherwort tincture is helpfull when I need a smoke! I have always loved cigars, and clove cigs..yummm

I like thease little fat cigars called juicy Lucys! they are the sweetest and best...

ok, off to find the motherwort...my mouth is watering...
They won't remember what you said, or what you did, they will only remember how you made them feel.
AKA Suebeestaff Etsy sight http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=110805
suebee

Postby mandica » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:18 pm

There is a store in my town that exclusively sells smoking apparatus'. These stores are often known as 'head shops', but thats probably slang. If you cannot find a store in the yellow pages, perhaps try asking some 'kids' downtown. When living in BC I have people ask me where a head shop was all the time, lol. (Oneday i'll have a very mature look about me and not be asked for drugs, haha) I've also seen very nice wooden pipes being sold at cigar shops and convenience stores inside malls. I grew up in a beach community, with lots of summer stores, these items seemed widely available! I'm sure theyre around if you look.

As for smoking, I'm the same as you, feminine earth. I like to smoke, but have never smoked habitually. And never tobacco. Most of my friends smoke cannabis, of which i'd like to partake in the friendly rituals of puffing and passing, haha, but more than one puff of this stuff makes me pretty silly.

Jim, do you know of a blend that includes cannabis?

I'd say pipes are the best bet, i like the small glass 'baby' ones, cause they're cute. Another idea is to wittle yourself one, you can add designs and really personalize it. I think wittle kits are pretty cheap.. like $15 at Canadian Tire (i dont know what the american version of this store is...)
I have some hemp rolling papers, and enjoy smoking with this too.
Hmmm, I'm pretty random, but hope this helps anyhow!
<3
mandica

Postby jim mcdonald » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 am

I know people who have added small bits of calamus root to their calamus, or balsam poplar resin. Really, the possibilities are endless, and though while I have nothing against it, I don't seem inclined to smoke cannabis nowadays. I honest prefer my blend to it.

As for pipes, antique stores usually have a nice selection for little money. I'm sure I would eventually break a glass pipe. Ebay is also a great resource.

I like longstem/churchwarden pipes (and have broken those, as well), as the smoke cools a bit before it hits your palate.

(not to mention they're so damn cool looking)
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
jim mcdonald

Re: herbal smoking blends

Postby feminine_earth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm

This is a very old post, but I just wanted to bump it up and share an herbal smoke blend that I made a few days ago that is simply divine. :D

2 parts comfrey (the base herb)
1 part uva ursi
1 part catnip
1/2 part mugwort
1/2 part common sage
1/4 part lavender
1/4 part chamomile
and a tiny bit of osha shavings

This blend not only tastes great (mmm...love uva ursi's tart sweetness!), but induces a deep state of relaxation that could easily slip one into a trance state. And smoked before bed, it brings on beautiful, colorful dreams! :o
feminine_earth

Postby Marilyn King » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 pm

For me what I like to use to smoke is this blend:
All of equal measure
Mugwart
Mint
Wild Dagga
Damiana
Cat Nip

Also with this blend you can add a pinch of any other (special) herb you may like. This blend gives a very relaxed and also for me helps with my arthritis. I am now considering adding passion flower and vanilla as well after reading what yawl have add to yawls.
Marilyn King

Postby Saraji » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:43 am

I'm an ex smoker and also used to work in public health here in the Uk, helping people quit smoking regular cigarettes. I learned so much about smoking and the effects on the body and although I can relate to the occasional urge to light up and fully understand how difficult it can be to quit, I'd seriously advise against smoking ANYTHING. Although herbal blends don't contain nicotine, which is the addictive chemical in tobacco, they will fill your lungs with tar, carbon monoxide and carcinogens that come from the combustion and inhalation of ANY material. Smoking puts enormous stress on the lungs and just isn't a great thing to do. Most people find that those smoking cravings actually only last between 3-5 minutes at a time, so if you can just observe the craving and go and do something different for a short while, you'll probably find that 30 minutes later the urge has subsided. You've done incredibly well to quit for such a long time - and it would be a shame to start stressing your lovely clean lungs again.
Saraji

Previous

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest