Vodka

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

Vodka

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:18 am

Hi, I live in Brisbane in Australia, and am having trouble finding 100% proof vodka. The highest I have found is 80% proof. Can I use this to make tinctures and if so Can anyone help me with directions and special considerations if necessary.
Many thanks
lizziele
Anonymous

Postby amyd » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:46 am

many herbalists use different spirits with lower proof. i would give it a whirl! i use brandy sometimes because i like the taste. i'm going to try gin next!
amy d
amyd

Postby LadyB » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:05 am

Pretty much most of us prefer 100 proof vodka as it's a nice balance of 50% water and 50% alcohol and it's relatively inexpensive ( I get Mr Boston hundred proof for $17 US for the big 1.75litre bottle. I think they keep it in stock just for me, not sure who really needs to DRINK hundred proof [xx(]) and also, vodka doesn't have much of a taste of its own.....I'm seeing more and more tinctures done in brandy these days, and I know Matthew Wood likes to use 100proof brandy! That's real hard to find and the only one I DID find is Slivovitz Plum Brandy that has a very DISTINCT taste....also, vodka can't be used for people who are truly gluten-sensitive (celiac disease) unless it's POTATO vodka....most vodka is made from GRAIN.

Gin??? now THAT might be interesting, motherwort tincture with a hit of JUNIPER berries ! [:p]....only 'special considerations' with using a lower proof is to know you're getting a bit less of the ALKALOIDS, the truly MEDICINAL properties.....so it might lead you to adjust dosages....might actually be an advantage for some of the ones we have to be VERY careful of, like Lobelia inflata, or Poke Root. Most large liquor stores can ORDER hundred proof, but might not be willing unless you were going to take a whole case.

I have a good friend Lisette whose daughter is named Arielle...when I saw your name I almost thought it might be THEM....(but they live right here in NY State, not Australia!)

And I second Amyd's note on the TASTE of brandy tinctures....really LOVELY....my next batch of Hawthorn Berry DEFINITELY goes into brandy. And there, getting us back to THE POINT, since Hawthorn Berry is one of the very FEW things I ever tincture DRIED, perhaps using 80 proof is a bit of an advantage, balance-wise. A bit more water to re-hydrate the dried berries....somethin' to THINK about.

Carry on, ladies, I'm off to gather more Motherwort right now!
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Lavender » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:42 am

Depending on the herb and what's available, I usually use a 40% to 50% vodka. The highest I usually use is a 151 proof (75.5%) Jamcian rum. Gives the tincture an interesting taste. We can't buy pure alcohol here in BC without some special thing from a doctor saying that it's for medicinal purposes. But we can drive over the border to the US and buy it there.

I'm curious...what ratios do you usually make your tinctures at? Do you use a different one depending on the herb and if it's dried or fresh? I generally use 1:5 for dry and 1:2 for fresh...but that also depends on the herb and the alcohol used, etc.
Lavender

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:02 am

I really am new to tinctures as I am an aromatherapist who makes alot of infused oil and have now decided to have a go at making my own tinctures.[:D]
lizziele

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lavender</i>
<br />Depending on the herb and what's available, I usually use a 40% to 50% vodka. The highest I usually use is a 151 proof (75.5%) Jamcian rum. Gives the tincture an interesting taste. We can't buy pure alcohol here in BC without some special thing from a doctor saying that it's for medicinal purposes. But we can drive over the border to the US and buy it there.

I'm curious...what ratios do you usually make your tinctures at? Do you use a different one depending on the herb and if it's dried or fresh? I generally use 1:5 for dry and 1:2 for fresh...but that also depends on the herb and the alcohol used, etc.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Anonymous

Postby opal » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:14 am

I am learning tincturing too..in Sydney Australia! helloooo lizziele!!..last batch I used Smirnoff triple distilled cos' it came in a value 1125ml bottle...40% alcohol...I just assumed it was potatoe based. Thanx for the caeliac hint Lady B....they can have nasty reactions 2 grains 4 sure. Better avoided where possible! Not unlike tripping but uncontrolled, if accidental consumption of grains happens! Sometimes diagnosis of schizophrenia can be mistaken and caeliac related...though this is an oversimplification of a complex issue it's worth a thought or 2! I have used brandy for flower essences and a cousin uses it to preserve fruits (peaches and apricots)which I guess is part of the tincturing thing, alcohol as a preservative...+ leaching goodies out of herbs as they absorb it into their systems like water....phew...what a way 2 go!!??
opal

Postby Lavender » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:20 pm

I was over at my mom's for dinner last night. She has a bottle of 30 year old napoleon brandy that my dad had put ginseng root inside (yes, thirty years ago). She brings this out only on special occasions and we get a teaspoon taste...mmmmmmm!! It really puts the zing back in you!
Lavender

Postby LadyB » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:06 pm

Oh, now that's just plain old glorious, Lavender! OK, everybody, dinner at Lavender's Mom's house!!!!

To answer your question on proportions, I also do 1:5 for dried (roots, berries, seeds) but 1:1 for fresh.....fill the jar with fresh plant material and then pour in the vodka to 'fill it again'. I just can't bring myself to tincture any dried leaves. I know lots of people do, I just can't convince myself it will be any good.
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby sdreamcatcher » Thu May 17, 2007 7:12 pm

opal wrote:last batch I used Smirnoff triple distilled cos' it came in a value 1125ml bottle...40% alcohol...

im new here and found this post while searching for information on tinctures. i just recently bought the same thing, and am wondering how the tinctures came out, or if anyone else has used this type of vodka for tinctures? does it depend on the herbs? im using all dried herbs; ones i have in mind are gingko, skullcap, rhodiola (sp?), chamomile flowers , and Gotu Kola. i may possibly try making a yerba mate tincture as well. ive made tinctures before with decent luck but it was three years ago and im sure the vodka, although same brand (i think) was not triple distilled.
sdreamcatcher

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest