Sphincteroplasty after forceps delivery

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

Sphincteroplasty after forceps delivery

Postby mari10 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:39 pm

I recently underwent sphincteroplasty surgery to repair sphincter muscle damage after a forceps/episiotomy birth in April (although my baby was only 6 lbs). I am 7 weeks post-op and disheartened by the slow recovery. I still do not have control of feces or gas. My colo-rectal surgeon says the healing time is 12 weeks. I was wondering if anybody out there has had this type of surgery (I know of no one) and what their results have been. I am beginning to think that I will never regain control of that area...
mari10

Postby cory su » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:30 pm

I have no experience with this.. so sad to hear your story. But seriously you must keep a positive medication no matter what and not start a pattern of thinking that you will not heal. Find an affirmation to support your vision of strong and healthy functioning muscle. It is good that your doctor believes in your recovery and you must also. Be patient with your body. Best of luck with this.
cory su

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering