how to dialate

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

how to dialate

Postby kindaera » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:50 pm

I am brand new on this web site so please forgive me if I am asking a dumb question. I am 36w 5d pregnant, my doctor has told me that because I am a VBAC he wants to induce me in my 39th week to prevent rupture of my uterus. Right now I am 50% effaced but not dialated at all, with my son I was induced and was only dialated 1/2 cm and they just broke my water and put me on pitocin and 12 hours later I was dialated to 4cm and ended up with an emergency c-section. I don't want this to happen again, so I would like to be dialated as much as possible before I go into the hospital. Dose anyone know any tricks beside walking and haveing sex to get yourself to start dialateing?
kindaera

Postby Persephone » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:36 pm

Ok. I think that induction will actually put you more at risk for uterine rupture. At least that is my (limited) understanding of it. Whatever happens, don't go near Cyotec. That hasn't been approved by the FDA for use in inductions, and it makes you more likely to rupture. I think you should wait til you go into labor naturally before anything, and the fewer interventions the better. All your previous experiences look, to me, like classic intervention problems. Wait til as long as possible to go to the hospital. Why did they induce your son?
Persephone

Postby bluet » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:10 am

Quick! Change your plans, find a midwife, and have a homebirth! You'll avoid unnecessary induction to say the least.

I just read a similar post under HOMEBIRTH & DELIVERY/Inducing. There is alot of wisdom there that could help you out.

Remember to write your hospital plan that states how you want things to go and all the treatment you do NOT want, including induction. Hospitals have protocols, but it's always a good idea to write this up. It safeguards you from a lot of unnecessary intervention.

Red raspberry leaf will certainly strengthen your uterus. Drink it all day long.

Ahh, your sweet, sweet little one. The child will be blessed with your strength.
bluet

Postby kindaera » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:16 am

They induced my son because I was 4 days overdue and my doctor felt that it was time for him to come out. I was not satisfied with that doctor what so ever. With my first child I did have a midwife and she was absolutly wonderful, in fact the doctors office that I am going to she is practicing there, I ask if I could see her and they told me that since I am a VBAC that I could not just in case something should happen with my uterus. I really feel that everything will be fine if I can just dialate. I did see that evening primerose oil helps soften the cervix but how are you supposed to take it?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Persephone</i>
<br />Ok. I think that induction will actually put you more at risk for uterine rupture. At least that is my (limited) understanding of it. Whatever happens, don't go near Cyotec. That hasn't been approved by the FDA for use in inductions, and it makes you more likely to rupture. I think you should wait til you go into labor naturally before anything, and the fewer interventions the better. All your previous experiences look, to me, like classic intervention problems. Wait til as long as possible to go to the hospital. Why did they induce your son?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
kindaera

Postby Persephone » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:06 pm

Yes, that's what I expected. Four days overdue is nothing. Wait until you're at least a week overdue before you let them do anything to you... and I know that a week is conservative my some accounts... some people like to wait 2 weeks.

I would also suggest finding a midwife, but that's not very practical 4 weeks before the birth. [:)]

During your birth, the most important thing is to stay relaxed, and keep away from as many interventions as possible.

As far as Evening Primrose goes, I've heard that some ladies put it directly on their cervix... but I've also heard this can put you into early labor, does anyone know more about this?
Persephone

Postby magdaverte » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:11 pm

I wouldn't start doing things to start up labor until at least the 38th week.

I am sorry that your dr. isn't supportive of you.

VBAC women do wonderfully at home with a caring midwife. The Nurse-Midwife may have protocols that don't allow her to care for a previous Cesearen mother. Most home birth midwives don't. There are many midwives how would take you on even though you are so close to your due date.
I wish you the best for your birthing.
magdaverte

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering