Motherwort and Breast feeding?

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

Motherwort and Breast feeding?

Postby brown_acorns » Tue May 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Is Motherwort compatible with breast feeding? I am a new mother to my second born son. My first son is going to be 4 in July. My nerves have been so shot lately and it is my first born son who is truly feeling the brunt of it. I am feeling angry guilty and terrible most of the time instead of happy and joyful the way I want to and know I should feel. What can I do to help out my nerves, would just getting back into a Oatstraw daily infusion be enough? Could I use motherwort too? I was using motherwort quite successfully for anger and anxiety before I was pregnant I would love to be able to use it again all though I am nursing and will be for a few years..

Any thoughts?

Peace and Blessings- Jennifer
may the earth cradle you, may the moon guide you, and may the sun shine upon you and help you grow...
brown_acorns

Re: Motherwort and Breast feeding?

Postby crystal woman » Sun May 16, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm sorry there's been no response yet to your post. I wish I could answer but I just don't know if motherwort is compatible with breastfeeding and I don't want to conjecture about it, so I'm bumping up the topic and hopefully someone familiar with motherwort can provide you with the answer. Perhaps, if nobody responds here you could try posting the same question in the Health and Wellness forum and hopefully get an answer.

crystal woman

Postby Movlin » Sun May 16, 2010 9:12 pm

wow - i'm sorry this one slipped by brown acorns. thanks for bumping cw. i'm not an expert but i know motherwort is contraindicated for pregnancy and breastfeeding - not a good choice. you sound as if you are experiencing baby blues? hormones out of whack from pregnancy and birth - my suggestion is definitely go back to your oatstraw infusions - teas of hops, lemonblam, st. joans wort, rosemary, raspberry leaf, and lavendar are all safe while breastfeeding and help promote relaxation and restore balance to your body after birth. 3 cups of tea a day, you can blend these herbs or use them singly. raw wildflower honey is also excellent. continue to breastfeed often, meditate when possible, fresh air and sun, and excerise.

you are not alone in experiencing this. don't be hard on yourself - that will only aggrevate the cycle. forgive yourself for your emotional swings, they will pass.

blessings,
mo
Movlin

Postby motherdank » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm going through similar stuff right now, too, mama! Although, with my first- I don't know what I would do if I had another little one, but it still is putting a strain on my man, and I'm seven months in :)
It would also be good for me to know if motherwort is contraindicated for nursing. What I DO know is that lemon balm has been making me feel really good lately. I made a big ol' jar of lemon balm honey and put it in everything I drink. I definitely need to be doing more of the oatstraw infusion- I've been pretty good about getting nettle in, though, which has helped a lot with the adrenal fatigue.
Love you, mama! Hang in there!
motherdank

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering