castor oil packs

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

castor oil packs

Postby zakiyaa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 pm

has anyone used them, and if so, what results did you get, if any? how did you feel? how long did you use them for?

i have decided to try this because i have some longstanding blood stagnation / blood stasis (this is my chinese medicine diagnosis). from a western standpoint, i probably have some amount of endometriosis, or something like fibroids. but i refuse to have exploratory surgery just to confirm this. i am confident in natural medicine and TCM. anyhow. with that said, i have had severe menstrual cramps and a lot of clotting for years now. i am finally getting some relief from chinese herbs and acupuncture; my last period was the "best" one i have had, bright red blood, no clots, much less pain. but i want to get to the bottom of this, so i felt that the castor oil packs might help me on this journey.

last night was my second night of applying a castor oil pack to my lower abdomen. i soaked a piece of felt with castor oil, applied it to my abdomen, put plastic over the cloth and then a heat pad on top. i kept it on about 40 minutes as i did meditation. i am skipping tonight, then going to do another two nights. we'll see after that. i'll probably do a few more before ovulation and then stop, as we are currently trying to conceive.

so the reason i posted this is that everywhere you read about this online, it seems like hearsay and very little actual evidence or studies. a few reports here and there of it being effective. i believe that it can be, it makes sense because of what the castor bean is. but i would love to hear first hand accounts from anyone who has tried this! i certainly plan to share my experience when its all said and done.
"do not abandon what you know to be certain within yourself
for something heard from other people which you doubt."
zakiyaa

Re: castor oil packs

Postby prani » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

I've been using castor oil packs for the same thing and absolutely loving it. I have now had 3 consecutive 'drug-free' periods...which is a lifetime record for me. I know that nettles (all month long) and burdock (especially the week before/week of my period) have helped a great deal. Other things that have helped are: eating dark, leafy greens the week before my period, staying active (especially yoga) and taking crampbark tincture. I start taking crampbark twice per day, 2-3 days before I am due to start my period. I continue this until my cramps start, at which point I take crampbark as much as I need to in order to keep the pain at bay (usually every 40 mins). I do this until the cramps go away (usually a couple hours) and then I'm good for another month.

As far as the castor oil packs, I just use them as needed or when I think of it-I haven't noticed a difference in effectiveness at different times of month (except when i am using it for cramps...then i REALLY notice it!). When I do use it for cramps, I often find that putting it on my sacrum (triangular bone at the bottom of the spine) helps almost as much as putting it on my belly. I often alternate between the two.

Good luck!

prani
We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.
-Carl Sagan
prani

Postby zakiyaa » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 pm

thanks a lot for your reply. i am glad to hear that castor oil packs have helped you! i am going to be doing my 3rd treatment in 4 days tonight.

i eat lots of leafy greens already, and i exercise regularly (yoga & martial arts mostly). that makes no difference for me. nor does cramp bark. i have used HUGE doses of cramp bark and it rarely even puts a dent in my cramps, and it usually makes me really nauseous (it has made me vomit twice actually). no herbs alone have done anything for my cramps. which is why i have relied on ibuprofen until now. thankfully chinese herbs and acupuncture have been helpful the last two cycles. i am ready to be done with cramps once and for all though. i really hope the packs will do it!

do you use the packs during your period? i have read in many places not to use it while bleeding. however, part of me feels that this might not be a bad idea for someone with stagnation, as the added circulation and potentially heavier bleeding following using the packs might be a good thing for people like us. did you find that it affected the blood flow in any way?
zakiyaa

Postby prani » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm trying to think of a way to answer your question without being gross and I'm not sure I can, so hopefully you really did want to know :P

When I get my period, it starts incredibly lightly. I never have to worry about being surprised by my period because for the first 2-3 days, all I notice is a hint of pink. First thing in the morning on day 3 or 4, I get excruciating cramps that last about 2 hours. As soon as they go away, I start bleeding like I've been shot and the cramps don't come back until next month. My doctor suspects endometriosis and I think that the slow bleeding/cramping is due to some sort of blockage. For this reason, I do use castor oil packs during the cramps, but not during the rest of my period. I use it before my period starts in the hope of breaking down some of the blockage, but also during cramps to help things along. Once my uterus is happily doing its thing, I just leave it alone.
We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.
-Carl Sagan
prani

Postby zakiyaa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 am

haha no worries, i don't think thats gross at all. i think we should all be proud and comfortable to talk about our menstruation :D

so you only get cramps at the very beginning? thats interesting. mine linger on for about 2 days usually. bleh.
thanks for sharing :)
zakiyaa

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering