Men Fertility

Discuss all aspects of mothering including fertility, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Calling all moms and expectant-moms and hopeful moms too!!

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, teatime, Melissa Doordaughter, Kaitebug

Men Fertility

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:59 pm

I am seeking information about herbs, etc. to help fertility in men. Susun's wonderful book on the Childbearing Year talks about Red Clover Flower, Nettles, Rasberry, etc. for women. There must be things that help men's reproductive systems as well.

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant for the second time (our first child is now 2 and an absolute delight!). He has been diagnosed with a low sperm count and may do surgery for it. He is interested in doing anything else that could possibly help.
Anonymous

Postby Justine » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:19 pm

I don't know alot, not an expert on the topic, but will share what I have heard...

1. red clover infusion is just as good for men as women, get him on it asap...tastes good too, and protects your cells..

2. hot water, or anything hot around the testicles kills sperm count, so have him avoid hot showers, hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, and tight underwear...

3. smoking marajuana lowers sperm count, so have him stop if he does it, and maybe just to be safe suggest he avoid smoke filled places..[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3186686.stm"]here is an article on this topic[/url]

4. the more ejaculations men have the weaker thier sperm count, so suggest he does not have alot of ejaculations, save that sperm for when it counts...

5. overuse of alcohol reduces sperm count, so limit alcohol intake

6. pollution decreases fertility in men, so spend as much time in the country, or away from polluted areas as possible..including time in the car, on the road, in a house with poor air quality etc..get your water checked, consider an in house water filter if you need it.

7. obestity is thought to create infertility so get your man out exercising and suggest he avoids hydroginated fats and overeating

check out this article [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3378315.stm"]Pollution fears over sperm count[/url]

here is a cool article [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3189224.stm"]Coffee 'boosts male fertility'[/url] so maybe its time to start brewing...

again, I am not certian about the validity of all I have said before, but none of the advice can hurt so why not try it all....?
Justine
Site Admin

Postby lynpb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:13 pm

Hi WolfDancer

To add to what Justine has said, Susun mentions "Hot balls make no babies". [:D] Make sure that he's staying cool - ie, not taking lots of hot baths or spas, wearing boxers instead of briefs etc.

Blessings
LynPB
lynpb

Postby Justine » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:36 pm

yeah![}:)]hot in the bedroom, but not anywhere else :))
Justine
Site Admin

Postby Justine » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:21 pm

Shampoo Linked to Sperm
Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Researchers are pointing to shampoo as a possible factor in the apparent decline of sperm quality in many countries.

The theory is getting international attention and even skeptics agree it should be investigated.

Scandinavian researchers say chemicals known as alkyl-phenol ethoxylades, used in shampoos and other products, can act like the female sex-hormone estrogen.

Chemicals before puberty could suffer disruption of their hormonal processes, said Jorma Toppari of the University of Turku in Finland.

"We know that these compounds are hormonally active, and we know that you can influence sperm counts by exposing a child or fetus to hormones that act like these compounds," he told a conference on Great Lakes water quality in Duluth, Minn.

Studies show sperm counts in several countries have declined and suspicion over alkyl-phenol ethoxylades is new.

Reported in the Vancouver Province
September 28, 1995
Justine
Site Admin

Postby karen joy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:26 pm

In [url="http://www.susunweed.com/Weed%20newsletter_september%2001.htm#book"]Nature's Children[/url], Juliette de Bairacli Levy has a (small) chapter devoted to the father! For herbs, she especially recommends the mints for men, added to foods and made into teas. Borage too is esteemed for virility she says. "Well- proved fertility herbs are ginger, ginseng, and nutmeg. The Gypsies favor nasturtium... the whole herb is used."
karen joy

Return to The Childbearing Year & Mothering