Use of herbs after infused

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Singingcrowsings
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Use of herbs after infused

Postby Singingcrowsings » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:55 am

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone uses their infused herbs for anything other than compost. are there too many nutrients pulled out to make it worth our while?

ItalianBee

Re: Use of herbs after infused

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:43 am

I suppose that might depend on the herb, but I think you're probably right - too much has been pulled out.

One thing does occur to me though. I freeze carrot peelings, kale stems, and suchlike, and simmer them when I want a vegetable stock. It couldn't hurt to add leftovers from an infusion, as long as the herb is one that tastes good.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 pm

That's a good idea. Perhaps there's still a small bit of goodness to pull out? I'll keep this in mind.

Thank you!
Rhonda

FiFiAralia

Postby FiFiAralia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Have you looked into spagyrics at all? It's an alchemical preparation of tinctures- the basic idea is making a tincture as you normally would, decanting it, and then calcifying the marc by burning it until it's ashes, then recombining it into the tincture.
The reason for this being the basic elements in alchemy are salt, sulphur, and mercury. In traditional tinctures, Mercury is the water element- the alcoholic extract. Sulphur is fire element- the extract of the volatile oils. Salt, the earth element, is missing, which is represented by the vegetable salts extracted through the plant ashes. Basically, according to alchemical thought, traditional tinctures are energetically incomplete, thus less effective.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm

What a fascinating idea, FifiAralia! Do you strain out the ashes after the usual amount of time infusing, or leave them in?

FiFiAralia

Postby FiFiAralia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:32 pm

sorry, I misspoke. it's not the actual ashes you reintroduce- you put them through another filtration process where all that's left is literally these tiny concentrated plant crystals. these are the salts. they're incredibly beautiful! those are what you reintroduce back into the tincture (and they disolve into it). this is the most confusing step to me, but there's a lot of good online resources and books to check out!
I've never gone through the whole process myself, just watched and assisted a more alchemically-minded herbalist friend do it, but I'm really interested in experimenting with it more. I have a hawthorn tincture macerating right now that I'm thinking about turning into a spagyric.
I can't attach a pdf I have, but if you google "spagyrics instructions", it's the first hit.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:57 am

Cool! Thank you - I have downloaded the PDF and will look around the website it comes from.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey there! Thanks for the info on the tinctures. I'll definitely go and take a look at that link. :)

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”