Snowdrops - Are they edible?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
harr13
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Snowdrops - Are they edible?

Postby harr13 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 am

I have read 1 or 2 sources stating that snowdrops are edible - once dried. Another source states just use the bulbs; but another says the bulbs are extremely toxic. Can anyone shed any light on our dear little white pretties? :)

ItalianBee

Re: Snowdrops - Are they edible?

Postby ItalianBee » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

I have always understood that they were poisonous. I wouldn't risk it personally!

em8

Postby em8 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:08 am

I have only ever heard that they were poisonous too. Even the animals wont eat them and I think that says it all x

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 am

I also have heard that snowdrops are quite solidly on the toxic side, ... HOWEVER, I also have a vague half-remembered comment somewhere that mentioned using it medicinally, in the same CAUTIOUS and LIMITED manner that poke or foxglove or such are used. But in general, yeah, I wouldn't risk it until a more reliable source is found to confirm it's potability.
They certainly are pretty though, and I always try to grow them as a charm (inspired by the book/movie StarDust, by Neil Gaiman) and a smile.

harr13

Postby harr13 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Thank you all for your replies. :)
I had hoped to add them to my medicine cabinet, but I'm not going to unless more positive sources are found. I have read that the bulbs are used to aide alzheimers.

marvinuncleherbs

Postby marvinuncleherbs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:45 am

I believe they may be poisonous, most flowers that come from bulbs are, like daffodils and crocuses. The only edible flowers that I know of are nasturtiums, pansies, roses, violets, geraniums, primroses, borage flowers and courgette flowers.

harr13

Postby harr13 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:43 pm

That's a useful tip. Thank you. :)

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”