Preventing/Easing Immune Reaction to Dog Dander - Methods?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
juliagarfield
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Preventing/Easing Immune Reaction to Dog Dander - Methods?

Postby juliagarfield » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Hey wise folks! I'm glad to be here among you all and looking forward to your feedback.
I am in my 20s and have long had cat and dog dander allergic reactions, including itchy runny eyes, congestion, brain-fog, general red puffy-ness. My mother also has animal allergies and we never had pets growing up. Over the last few years my allergies have lessened a bit and I've been able to spend more time around dogs and cats. Cats are still hardest and I am careful not to touch them too much, and wash my hands as much as possible after touching them or their space. Changing diet and lifestyle to be healthier and less inflammatory has helped. I occasionally drink nourishing infusions of nettle leaf, burdock root, or red clover.

I like working with dogs and have an opportunity to dog sit for a few weeks. For many reasons, including that of making income, I really would like to do this. Last time I dog sat in my living space for a few weeks, I had a major immune reaction. I am sensitive and empathic in general, and have been living alone for a few years, feeling out and learning about my boundaries and self. When this small dog lived with me, we had a good time. There was something about his body - I guess the dander - that really alerted my immune system and it was hard for me to relax pretty much the entire time he was here with me. I never really slept deeply and felt sort of adrenally-triggered and fired up in this weird way the whole time, like my immune system was running nonstop on a "high" setting. I don't want this to happen again! I may just say no to dog-sitting.

But first I wanted to reach and and ask if anyone has any ideas, or experiences they'd like to share that relate to this. I am open to taking an herb on an as-needed-basis, or to taking medicine in a way that will more permanently affect my allergic reactions.

Thank you in advance for you thoughtful response and taking the time to read this.

RoseRed

Re: Preventing/Easing Immune Reaction to Dog Dander - Method

Postby RoseRed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:08 am

The first thought that comes to mind is take an OTC allergy medication the next time you need to dog sit and see if that helps.

Did you have any actual physical reaction and if so, what? (Like itchy eyes, runny nose, hives, ect - allergy symptoms) And the above would only be if you did.

Nettle is an antihistamine, if I remember correctly. Perhaps increase your uptake to what your body craves. It takes a few days of a quart a day for your body to start wanting it.

I wonder if laying honey out to catch the dander and then taking the honey like you would for pollen allergies would work OR is that a really bad idea and why?

Bach Flowers makes Rescue Remedy. A lot of people swear by it for everything. I haven't tried it so I cannot speak from experience about it.

I would also add something for anxiety to it - something on the lighter side - to help you to not worry (and all the not so wonderful things that come with that) if it happens again.

juliagarfield

Postby juliagarfield » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:03 pm

thank you RoseRed. As a kid I took a lot of OTC allergy drugs and some presciption, like Claritin. I have had enough bodily issues arise (mostly in my immune system and digestive tract) that I don't really want to play around with that stuff unless its very necessarily. I'd rather take the nourishing approach for now.

I definitely have a physical reaction, as I described in my original post, beginning with the second sentence.

I might try Rescue Remedy. I also might try the honey approach, at least once. I'm interested in increasing my nettle uptake, and may try that carefully. Good idea with the attention to soothing anxiety - definitely related to immune reaction. It can of course go both ways (like the immune reaction bringing up a possible anxiety reaction).

I'm totally interested in any other suggestions people have to offer.

RoseRed

Postby RoseRed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Yeah, me too.

Oh, and that much nettle can be quite diuretic. Just a friendly tip. :)

JennyWillow

Postby JennyWillow » Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 pm

My husband has seasonal and dog/cat dander allergies. We discovered a tea of equal parts goldenrod flowers, elderflowers, nettle and roooibos is helpful for him if he drinks 2 cups 2 times daily. It helps him both right at the time he drinks it and also helps even more as he takes it long term. If you decide to try it you may want to test a small amount of it on your wrist first just to make sure you aren't sensitive to any of those plants.

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Fri May 08, 2015 9:16 am

If I have an allergy attack (cats and dogs), nettle tea helps calm it down, but does not get rid of it completely.

However, while caring for a cat this past winter, I had been drinking infusions regularly, and nettle infusion was the main one.
I realised one day, I wasn't having any allergic reactions to her! An experiment of being off the nettle for more than 3 or 4 days resulted in me getting stuffed up. I went back on it and I was fin again.

Worth a try!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”