My nettles lost their sting

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ItalianBee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My nettles lost their sting

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Nettles don't seem to grow wild around here, so I broke down this year and bought a small plant in a pot. I have repotted it but I have to keep it in a container because I don't have any land to plant it in. It looks fine, green and healthy, and I've had a few stings from it (which I don't mind, they're not anything like poison ivy stings). But in the last couple of days I have brushed past it and it hasn't stung me. I don't think I've developed an immunity - I suppose that could happen - but outside of that, is there any reason why nettles in a pot would lose their sting? Not having proper nutrition, something like that? As I said, it does look healthy.

Singingcrowsings

Re: My nettles lost their sting

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:17 pm

When a leaf is stroked one way there is little chance in getting stung. It's possible you just rubbed it the right way.

When I collect nettle, I don't use any gloves and on occasion I might get a sting or two on my wrist from reaching into the plant, but that's it.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:22 pm

I actually tried rubbing against them all different ways, because I know you have to catch the stinging hairs to get stung.

But something else occurred to me - nettles grow well in "waste land," scrubby stuff, they don't need rich soil. Maybe the soil I put them in is too rich rather than lacking in nutrients!

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:45 am

It could just be the variety you're dealing with.

Another idea is, are the leaves you touch, or brush by on, older leaves or are they new ones? Does nettle have a limited amount of stinging power?

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't think it's the variety, because when I first got the plant it stung me.

After reading your post I went out and rubbed my hand over all the leaves I could find, to test whether it made a difference rubbing against old or new leaves. Nothing, but I think all the leaves that are showing now are fairly new.

It's a puzzle....

Singingcrowsings

Postby Singingcrowsings » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:54 am

It is a puzzle.

But then, it might not have to do with the variety nor the soil, but the fact that this one plant is getting so much attention? That in itself is a unique situation for a stinging nettle plant.

Perhaps someone will come along here and know the answer. I'm curious, myself.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”