Tincture for arthritis

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Jaxxs Herblover
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tincture for arthritis

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 am

Hi all! I'm new here. I have been making my own soaps and body creations with herbs for six years now. My love for plants and a connection to them is growing immensely. My mother is 80 and doesn't want to consume pharma drugs. She has informed me that it is up to me to help her through these trying times when she is sick. So she and i have embarked on making a tincture for her arthritis and enriching our love at the same time. The only thing is whether to include every herb and resin together with the vodka or do hem all separately and combine? I have already put them all together and am thinking my proportions may not be correct as the gallon jar is packed. There is still about a half inch of vodka head space. Could that pose a problem with the extraction of the plant constituents? We used the same herbs that were in a formula that sells for $79.00 per month! She wants something to last her a long while. I can say that this formula smells exactly the same as the store bought one and I see no mold or anything growing. It has been about six weeks now. If the herbs continue to swell, should I pull some and out into another jar? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Although I have read books that show extreme calculations if mark and menstruum, we still decided to use the old time method of how my grandmother would do it- simple. Is that wrong?

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Tincture for arthritis

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:13 am

I personally feel you and your mother have done fine with your tincture!
Rules in herbal medicine are more like guidelines in my 'world', I have some tinctures made like yours (Juliette de Bairacli Levy's 'Spirits of Lavender'...I use it for migraines) and I have two herb combos and of course simples.
Your herbs are still swelling?! Yes, I would pull 1/2 out and get two jugs going (adding more alcohol).
As an experiment you could strain your herbs, put them into two jars and cover with alcohol again and after say..two weeks (or six weeks) strain and combine the first straining with the second ( in the meantime your mother could be using the first strain if she needs to that way she doesn't have to wait any longer).

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Oh thank you so much for replying! Great. I will try that. That'd what we were thinking. My mom checked it and thinks it may be a little sticky. I suggested that was because we had not strained it yet through cheese cloth, but thinning it out a bit could not hurt. And because the smell is so much like the bought tincture I feel certain that it will work, last her a very long time and may be even more effective. We will see. I'm very excited and will give an update on how it goes. I can't wait to plant my elderberry seeds this fall. Also i want to grow some st John's to make an oil for her. St John's has been helping her with nerve pains down her legs. I hope it is ok to give her the arthritis tincture and st Johns wort in the samr day. i still have much to learn and always want to make sure we are doing the least amount of harm and hopefully none at all!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:16 am

St. John's Wort is an amazing healer and pain reliever....beautiful flower too!
It seems to get along well with other herbs...I would take it at a different time then the arthritis tincture.
Care to share what is in the 'jug' of arthritis 'cure'?

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Sure! Boswellia papyrifera, yucca, devils claw root, hops flower, fenugreek seed, hyssop, ginger root. I used equal parts of each.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:15 pm

I can almost smell it! I imagine spicy sweet!

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:12 pm

Yes.. but mom didn't think it was sweet enough so she added some special just now! Haha.

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:12 pm

I meant steavia.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:53 pm

WiseGuy

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:25 pm

I've also just started using arnica oil on my own arthritis, and I recommend it.

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”