Weed identification

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Jaxxs Herblover
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Weed identification

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I did my first weed walk today in my yard. The plants I could certainly identify were mugwort, violets and plantain. I saw many other plants I wasn't sure about. What amazes me is that I've never seen all of the poke that was growing along the back edge of our garden! I picked some of the berries to dry. I think it is a beautiful plant. My daughter found the ink in the berries very interesting because she loves making pictures. My mother has warned me about this plant that it is toxic. I also found some I believe asteraceae wild lettuce type. Wild looking plant! Anyone have experience with poke?

Herbnut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Weed identification

Postby Herbnut » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:55 am

WiseGuy

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes. Some look like dandelion at first but theut leaves are more toothed. Is there a way to post pics here? I also have some woodland ragwort (senecio sylvaticus or senecio viscosis) I believe. It's growing around my central air unit. Very showy with many seed heads that are lobe shaped. Seems I have a lot of poisonous plants near me.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 pm

WiseGuy

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Yes it was.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:13 pm

ONE of my favorite things about herbalism IS the identification of plants, I don't need to pick them, I just need to know WHO they are.

Herbnut

Postby Herbnut » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:14 pm

WiseGuy

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 am

I know what you mean! I am often taking pictures of plants and I just want to know what they are. I dried some poke berries. While collecting them, at first I tried picking each berries and that was no good because they are so tender the juice went out. Then I decided to take the tops of the berry shoot and dry them all at once. It'd working out well. They will be dried and in their jar soon!

NateFlory

Postby NateFlory » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:39 am

There are some great resources online for identifying plants, and you could post them here perhaps as well for the other Wise Folks to help ID. :)

As for Poke, I have heard soe many arguments for/against it, but Susun Weed employs Poke Tincture as a rather potent ally sometimes.
http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/M ... ewoman.htm

The ink is a lovely purple, but will dry and age over a few days to a brown ink, similar to "dark coffee stain". Each year we make a bottle of ink with my son, and it's always fun to turn all purple while we prepare it. Have fun! :D

This is my favorite online group to ID plants too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/623997204362467/

Jaxxs Herblover

Postby Jaxxs Herblover » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Thank you Nate! I read the historical archives that you had some comfrey growing! I like comfrey because it helped heal my ripped shoulder!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”