Flu and Cold Remedies

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flu and Cold Remedies

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Put your REMEDIES here: :D

I will start with a recipe I found online...haven't tried it yet. I will be collecting the rosehips, Hawthorn berries and Oregon Grape berries tomorrow once they have thawed out from this freeze.
Conifer and Wild Berry Tonic Syrup!
https://gathervictoria.com/2016/11/25/w ... ic-syrups/

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Flu and Cold Remedies

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17 am

Rosalee has this cough syrup recipe using Elecampane!
http://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/hom ... syrup.html

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

A neat video SIMPLE HERBS FOR WINTER HEALTH
https://commonwealthherbs.com/get-free-video/

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Don't forget our old standbye - Fire Cider.
I know it is in the archives.... my receipt is written down at home. (big help right now)
I made a bang-up batch late summer that helped me through a pre-Yule cold, and I sent some to my sister, as her kids love it.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 am

I've made mullein syrup for sore throats this winter, for the first time. Nice and gooey!

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Nice! Will you share your receipt for it? I made my usual elder syrup, but always interested in the new and helpful. And mullein is so nice for the lungs! Do you use the flowers?

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 am

Kezzie, I generally use the whole plant when I'm using mullein, but this time I didn't have the root. I had pulled up one big stalk, but had used the root in something else, with the bottom of the stalk. So for this syrup I used the top of the plant including flowers. Chopped it up, infused it, then barely simmered the infusion down to 1/2 the volume. Then added 1/2 that volume of honey while it was still hot enough to mix properly. I added a bit of alcohol - vodka - a tablespoon or two, I think, to stabilise.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:52 pm

ItalianBee...Smart recipe!
What did it smell like while reducing? What does the syrup taste like?

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 am

As best I can remember - and I don't remember terribly well - the smell when reducing was pretty much like the dried plant, and pretty much like the syrup, faintly sharp but mostly sort of - weedy? not as green as if I'd used the fresh plant. But a little fuller than that. It tastes a lot of honey, without as strong a characteristic taste as say elderberry syrup has, but also with the weedy taste.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:25 am

In my TCM lessons and the Materia Medica for TCM I am learning that there are medicines made from plant parts and 'waste' that Western Herbalism tosses into the compost.
I am fascinated by the Medicine makings of other Herbalists, your use of the whole top...fascinating!!!!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”