Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica

Postby Lady Alinor » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 am

While working in the garden I noticed the Nettle is already coming up....we have Nettle in our Raspberries :lol: ....
Time to start getting reacquainted with Nettle and her ability to ease us through the upcomming allergy season....Nettle needs 6 weeks to get our system toned...SO...check this out!

Kelsey Barrett has written a lovely monograph on Stinging Nettle...
http://www.herbrally.com/monographs/nettle

ItalianBee

Re: Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica

Postby ItalianBee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 pm

I envy you, Lady A - we just had 14 inches of snow! No nettles showing here!

I take a couple of teaspoons of nettle/clover/dandelion vinegar every morning for my vitamins. Just added some burdock vinegar to this latest batch!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 pm

I really enjoy infused vinegars, I'm amazed how well they keep! I just opened a jar of Dandelion root vinegar that has to be about 8 years old and it still tastes of fresh root!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:12 pm

STINGING NETTLE with SUSUN WEED and MONICA JEAN
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJRfm70dRs

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 pm

The Glory of Nettles by Corinna Wood
http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/J ... mpower.htm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 pm

DIY Herbs has many videos...many.....this has several of the herb worlds most talented talking Nettle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBTUke22us

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:33 pm

A Plant at a Time: Nettle page 1 of 9
http://web.archive.org/web/201310232238 ... f=19&t=434

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A plant at a time: Nettle
Postby LadyB » Tue May 06, 2003 10:07 pm

She's already on any number of OTHER threads, but what say we gather our thoughts and questions and stories about sister Nettle here.

When the subject of Nettle comes up, invariably, we start talking about the STING. The reason it BURNS so is that it is actually an ACID BURN from Formic Acid flung via the hairs on the plant, not by the hairs themselves. The age-old antidote for this is a Dock Leaf (yellow dock, curled dock) Slap a leaf RIGHT over the burn (not hard to do, they hang out together) and it won't last NEARLY as long!

As Susun points out, the MESSAGE of Nettle is to PAY ATTENTION!!!! If you brush by her carelessly, you're NAILED. But if you come to her with respect, she has SOOOOOO much to offer.

Lady Barbara,
http://www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Anonymous » Wed May 07, 2003 9:28 pm

i found some nettle today that looks like its about ready to harvest...yoohoo[:D]

should I hang it to dry or can I put it in a drying cupboard? how long does it take to dry (not sure if I'm ready for sparkles[:)])?

I love this stuff... never thought i'd be thrilled to see a patch of nettles! I found the coolist thing today ... a circle (more or less) of nettles with 2 dock plants in the middle... and right in my backyard!

I guess mother nature really does provide what you NEED [8D]

thanks,
melissa
Anonymous

Postby LadyB » Wed May 07, 2003 9:33 pm

ohhhhh now that's just plain ole GORGEOUS.....
Ain't Mother N just SOMETHIN' else.....
I usually hang my nettles up, a few stems at at time, bind them with a rubber band and hang them by an unbent paperclip. A drying CUPBOARD sounds splendid. The farther from direct sunlight, the better. Enjoy, enjoy!
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Cloudberry » Wed May 14, 2003 11:52 am

Merry meet wise women -
It's finally warmer here and I was fortunate and found some nettles a few days ago and I made an infusion out of these. I noticed a difference between this year's fresh nettles and the ones that I gathered last year. The fresh ones do not color the infusion as intensively, the color is more earthy and the infusion tastes much fresher/greener. Has anybody the same experience? Did I harvest them too soon for infusion? [?]Please tell me when it's best to get nettles for infusion - I can't simply go on without the infusion being menopausal.
I knonw that the young nettles are just heavenly used as food this time of year.
[:o)]Cloudberry
Cloudberry

Postby LadyB » Sun May 25, 2003 9:53 pm

Y'know, Cloudberry, I've looked and looked in a whole STACK of books and I can't seem to come up with the Best Harvest time for Nettles for DRYING. Infusing FRESH leaves will always give you a lighter, greener-tasting infusion as you are adding water to leaves that already have all their water intact. To collect them for DRYING, SOMEWHERE, I recall reading it should be JUST before they bloom, but of course, if you keep cutting the tender tops for COOKING, you'll delay the blooming!

But here's my question for the rest of you NettleLovers....has ANYone actually seen the pollinating dance they do early in the morning??? I've only read about it....how the male flowers PUFF their pollen out to be caught by the dancing female flowers (and you know both male and female are on the same plant - that's the dioica part of the name) Anybody caught that act????

LadyB, in receipt of NO NETTLES this season. Don't GOT 'em, can't FIND 'em.....grumble, grumble, grumble.......[:(]

Lady Barbara,
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Lavender » Sun May 25, 2003 10:23 pm

I remember reading somewhere that dried nettles will lose their potency really quickly...unless it's been freeze dried. Perhaps that's why the fresh nettle infusion had the fresher, greener taste?
Lavender

Postby Anonymous » Mon May 26, 2003 4:22 pm

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="purple"></font id="purple">
I have a huge patch of nettle growing in my front garden and when they flower, I am going to watch and see what happens and report back! This should be exciting. I have always purchased nettle dried to infuse. Last year I planted 3 plants. I left them alone but this year I am going to dry them. Will be collecting some to dry this weekend.

Give the Universe a Mental Hug
Anonymous

Postby LadyB » Mon May 26, 2003 8:13 pm

Well Lavondyss, this also answers your question on the other thread, the best time to harvest for drying DOES seem to be BEFORE the Nettle blooms. As you cut them for drying, you'll delay blooming and create more stems. If you really DO have a nice big stand of them, tag one of the plants and LET it go to flower and seed,and harvest the rest. ONE source I read pointed out that all this PollenPuffing happens ONLY first thing in the morning. DOOOOO let us know!

Lady B

Lady Barbara,
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby Anonymous » Sat May 31, 2003 9:32 am

My first experience with Nettle infusion was this morning!

I had let it steep overnight, and when I came into the kitchen this morning, it was very dark and smelled very strong when I opened the glass jar. I was actually afraid to taste it! But I strained it, poured myself a small cup, and was surprised to find how mild and even sweet it tasted (to me, anyway)!

Murasaki [:X]
Anonymous

Postby LadyB » Sat May 31, 2003 9:47 am

Wish we'd had a Kitchen Cam for THIS scene!! [:D]
Yes indeed, overnight nettles are pretty ferocious.....I do better with them cold than hot, and after my initial "I can't get ENOUGH" I really went OFF them for quite some time. Now I can guzzle LOTS of them if they're cut half and half with Oatstraw. Welcome to Nettledom, my dear! The APPLAUSE you hear is coming from your happy adrenal glands! Now. Just wait 'til that deep, solid, 'Let me AT it' ENERGY starts to kick in......[8D]YEAH!
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby GrannySam » Sat May 31, 2003 12:44 pm

Hey All!

I'm loving my nettle infusions! Been drinking them about four weeks now, and have come to look forward to my morning cups. I mix mine with a little oat straw too.

My energy is much better. I've had a Hematuria Syndrome for YEARS Dr's believe may be caused by gravel in my kidneys. I can't drink any soft drinks, and have to make sure I drink plenty of water, and take absolutely no calcium supplements. It flares up the night before my period, consistently, and sometimes is so painful I can barely stand it. Feels like kidney stones. Well, I started my period a few days ago and guess what? NO pain in the kidneys at ALL. I attribute this to sister nettle.[:)]

Another thing I've noticed is I'm shedding less hair in the shower. I used the infusion yesterday as a rinse for the first time, we'll see if anything else happens with the hair.

Blessings!

GrannySam
Granny Sam's Wild Crafts
Little Switzerland, NC
http://www.grannysams.com
GrannySam

Postby naturenz » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:47 pm

Im also loving my nettle infusions. I have been taking them now for about 4 weeks and I feel that I definetly have more energy, I have hypothyroidism which makes me lack energy at times, I also think that my skin is better for drinking the infusions. I used some of the infusion this morning for the first time as a hair rinse. I have also started drinking oatstraw infusions, but take them seperately.
Love to all
Fliss[:X]
naturenz

Postby karen joy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:08 am

I too thought once dried the sting was gone. I had never felt it, but I had never dried my own. I know cooked nettles are wonderful with no sting, so I would think that since infusion is made by pouring boiling water over it and letting it steep, there ought to be no sting!

I understand your fear. If it were me and I were concerned I would do it anyway and sip it at first just to relieve myself of concern.

I think of the nettle "sting" as its powerful energy. The buzz I feel after handling fresh nettles feels so full of life. I think I would be excited, choosing to believe maybe this was an extra special batch with extra special healing!!!!!

I am curious to hear what you do and what you experience.

karen joy
nourishing wholeness anywhere
karen joy

Postby Cloudberry » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:32 pm

Hello ladies, this morning I actually saw the nettles' love dance!!! It was so wonderfull. I couldn't sleep tonight, woke up early - 4.30 and sneaked out so I wouldn't disturb the family. It was a glorious morning, sunny, the birds were more than noisy, dewdrops glistenning... I went around the garden and at the spot where the sun kisses my garden first is a nice patch of nettles. I went to talk to them but got no response. Couldn't understand that as we have a nice green rapport. I looked closer and saw that they were busy! As the sun warmed the nettles the male flowers sent out small puffs of yellow that drifted over the nettlepatch. It seemed to me that the other nettles stretched towards the drifting yellowness. Wow! They do dance! I lifted the hem of my nightgown and tiptoed away, I knew that we couldn't talk today, they had other things on their minds? flowers? stems? I just hope that they make a lot of new babies.

LadyB, I realised something about the infusion taste that I wondered about earlier. It seems to me that the taste changes during the growing season and the infusions I drank earlier were probably from mature nettles.

Did you notice that plantain - plantago - grows usually near the nettles? It's a great relief to crush a leave of plantago and aply it on the burn, it helps at once.
Cloudberry
Cloudberry

Postby LadyB » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:59 pm

OH Cloudberry, thank you SO much for reporting back on the Pollen Puffing Dance. Major Magic in the Nettle Patch!!! Very, VERY cool.

Now. Who's getting stung by dried nettles? Forestgirl. I think once they're DRIED, you're a bit apt to feel the hairs themselves, which might yet be a little irritating. I SUPPOSE there might be the tiniest bit of formic acid on them, but I KNOW the hot water does 'em in. I've infused my own dried nettles and there will be NO sting in the water, I promise.

And yes, I would imagine a Plantain leaf might do a fine job of De-Stinging, as it can do a real number on even a BEEsting. The dock leaves seem to be most often mentioned as those two plants just HANG OUT together.

GREAT nettle-stories. Yeah. That DEEP energy that just KEEPS GOING throughout the day is what it's ALLLLL about! ~LadyB

Lady Barbara,
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for all these links! I was diagnosed with type II diabetes at Winter Solstice, and nettle has been an herb of choice for helping me get the nourishment I need and aid my stressed kidneys! It's nice to know all the OTHER ways stinging nettle helps the body!

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Greenwitch....Sorry about that diagnosis, I know you can overcome it....the key I believe is improving the digestive system, top to bottom and walking in Nature everyday, rain or shine.

Here pretty soon we can all go out into Nature and harvest Spring Nettle!

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 am

Thank you Lady A . . . yes, and you know sometimes a diagnosis like this is a gift. It's causing both my wife and me to change our diet to one based on whole foods with healthy fats along with nourishing infusions and herbal teas. And yes, getting outside and and walking more, and getting back into my garden! Last year, thanks to my ill health I was so tired all the time I could barely get off the couch. I kept my garden alive but didn't spend any time in it. I'm already starting to have more energy and feel more excited about things I love like gardening again!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”