Help! Joint formula

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

Herbhunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Help! Joint formula

Postby Herbhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so this is my first question to everyone please ask questions if I leave important info out! I'm kinda new to using herbs but have had great success with them so far! Recently I tried a joint formula that works great but is rather expensive... I can buy a pound of each of the herbs in the blend cheaper than 1 lb of the formula!! I know all the herbs in the formula but I'm not sure how many parts of each herb I should use...could anyone please help me with ratios? The herbs in this blend are Irish Moss, White Willow bark, Hydrengea Root, Yucca Root, Devils Claw Root, Celery Seed, Licorice Root, Hops Flower and Nettle Root. Any help on how many parts of each herb could be used in this formula would be great help!! Thanks in advance!!

Lady Alinor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Help! Joint formula

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 am

Hello Herbhunter....
I will look at this...don't know how helpful I can be...we'll see lol
Right off the bat I would say that LICORICE will be the least, it tends to be a facilitator that can enter all of the organ meridians.

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 am

I forgot to ask...is this for tincture, infusion, decoction?

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Infusion or decoction dosage would be about 3-9 grams??

Kezzie

Postby Kezzie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Interesting. I too would like to know what you come up with. Give the volume she mentioned, it almost sounds like an infusion.

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Wow that's a LOT of herbs together!

Honestly, I'm always a tiny bit skeptical of these complicated blends. Why so many things at once? Do they really all need to be in there, or is it just to make it seem mysterious so the patient can't figure it out for herself? So if it was me the first thing I would do is research the various herbs in the formula and learn their purpose. Often in blends like the one you mention, not all of the herbs are there to specifically address the issue--AND it's difficult to know, when drinking a blend like that, what is actually helping and what is not!

Then once you understand how each of the plants work, you can decide if you want to include all of them in your blend, or just the ones that make the most sense for your symptoms. If that makes sense . . .

All of that said, I also wouldn't want you to stop doing something that helps! So maybe I'm being less than helpful! :D

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 pm

You know......Greenwitch....YOU Rock :D

Formulas consist of MAIN, AUXILIARY, ASSISTING, CONDUCTING and ANTI-ASSISTING Herbs.
MAIN treat PRIMARY symptoms....so I would guess that would be the anti-inflammatory herbs, Irish Moss, White Willow, Yucca Root and Devils Claw.
AUXILIARY support the MAIN and help with secondary symptoms....Hydrangea root which is diuretic, tonic, a history of treating rheumatism
ASSISTING strengthen and support the MAIN and AUXILIARY .....Hops, sedating, pain relieving, drying and Nettle root a weak anti-inflammatory and diuretic
CONDUCTING herbs direct the other herbs to the proper location... Licorice, moistening (many of the herbs are drying/diuretic) adaptogen, demulcent,
ANTI-ASSISTING herbs moderate the formulas therapeutic actions in this formula these herbs counter the Cold/Cooling nature of the other herbs...Celery seed, diuretic, carminative, stimulant

So...IF I were making this for myself...EQUAL PARTS for the MAIN herbs, I would also do an EQUAL PART for the AUXILIARY, then HALF PART for the ASSISTING and HALF PART for the CONDUCTING and HALF OR LESS for the ANTI-ASSISTING.

If this doesn't work then I would revisit the formula and tweek as needed

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 am

HA! Well, that is very kind of you to say Lady Alinor. :D

Interesting info on the makeup of formulas! Something I'd never read before (not that my reading is extensive).

Herbhunter

Postby Herbhunter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 am

Thank you everyone for the input! Sorry I forgot to mention that this is an all organic herb blend in powder form for horses but humans just take 1/2 a tsp of the blend I put it in veggie capsules and it works great! I will definitely try the things everyone suggested thank you so much!

Greenwitch

Postby Greenwitch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 am

I would love to hear how it all goes for you and what you discover!

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”