Immunity Boosting Suggestions Please

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches... ask questions, share harvesting tips, plant allies, remedies, body care tips and personal experiences.

Moderators: Wise Woman, Lady Alinor

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pranamama
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Immunity Boosting Suggestions Please

Postby Pranamama » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:24 am

Given how the news is flooded with reports of Norovirus, Ebola, and the unnamed paralyzing (bacterial ?) infection affecting children, I'm interested in what immunity boosting herbs you use for children and adults.

Melissa Doordaughter

Re: Immunity Boosting Suggestions Please

Postby Melissa Doordaughter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi, I guess immunity is about general well being, so focusing on a rich and vibrant diet is the first thing. We tend to keep our immune systems strong with plenty of apples and vinegar, white yogurt, fresh seasonal fruit and veggies.... Now the weather is cooling I am giving the children this homeopathic remedy to prevent flu

http://www.oscillo.com/about/facts-about-oscillo/ and increasing our intake of vitamin C through squeezed orange and tangerine juice.

When I start feeling poorly I like a sage tea with plenty of lemon juice and honey.... I also have garlic honey and some wonderful elderberry elixir (LOVE that potion!) on hand

http://www.animacenter.org/sambucus.html

But I am talking about mild seasonal problems, coughs colds and flu... If I was genuinly concerned about being in an area effected by ebola, well I'm not sure what I would do.... I rememebr Susun has discussed use of poke root for extreme problems.... with EXTREME caution, one drop a day or thereabouts.... Unlucky that here in Europe I can't get it for love nor money... and the Italian customs wouldn't let it cross the border when a wise woman from the US posted me some... so I'm just gonna pray ebola doesn't come to this neck of the woods....

http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/M ... ewoman.htm

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:35 pm

A healthy/strong immune system starts with what we put in our mouths (I believe that 3/4 of what we consume should be plant...preferably non GM)

Proper levels of Vit D are vital to a healthy immune system.
I used to think that my levels were good because I spend so much time outdoors (gardening, wildcrafting, camping and hiking), but my blood work told me differently. My Vit. D level was WAY low...way, way low!
I found out that because of my latitude the sun isn't at the proper angle for the delivery of the vitamin.

I believe that a healthy immune system also involves NOT using antibacterial soaps (dish, body and hand sanitizer).

tuscanybound

Postby tuscanybound » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

I agree with Lady Alinor about the importance of Vita D. The key is determining if the angle of the sun in your location allows you to get enough UVB radiation exposure from the sun to have your body produce Vitamin D. There is a website created by the United States Naval Observatory (USNO) which lets you find the angle of the sun as it relates to your specific location. It’s called the “Sun or Moon Altitude/Azimuth Table”:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

If the angle of the sun is below 50 degrees, the atmosphere will filter the ultraviolet B radiation, which is responsible for making your body create vitamin D.

In addition to taking Vita D (I use a raw vitamin D supplement which is more readily absorbed into our bodies) and taking Vita K2 (also called menaquinone or MK7) which works synergistically with Vita D and Calcium for better absorption. Here's a great link for more info on Vita D and the relationship to K2 (and calcium), including a guide to how much to take: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... in-k2.aspx.

The other supplements I take for immune support are Olive Leaf capsules, Elderberry tincture, astragalus capsules, and Source Naturals Wellness Formula. I also take probiotics daily and beef up the dose as soon as I start to feel poorly. I've also had good luck using oregano capsules when feeling ill. Eating sauerkraut is also fantastic for immunity and I've completely staved off illness with it when I begin eating it at the first sign of symptoms. It's packed with natural probiotics. The best kind to get is the refrigerated kind in glass jars if possible, as the canned stuff has very little active probiotic cultures anymore. Of course, organic apple cider vinegar and fermented foods are also great for immunity.

AriaBeth

Postby AriaBeth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Echinacea boosts the immune system and enhances lymphatic function.

AriaBeth

Postby AriaBeth » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Having a well-balanced diet will supply you with all the essential nutrients your body needs for a healthy immune system such as zinc, vitamin A and C, selenium and iron.

ItalianBee

Postby ItalianBee » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:13 pm

For long-term health of the immune system I think of Astragalus and Holy Basil, both adaptogens. I think of Echinacea more in connection with an acute situation, like the onset of a cold or UTI.

FiFiAralia

Postby FiFiAralia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:46 pm

I've been brewing a immunity boosting chai for these chilly months- besides the regular chai spices, I've been adding astragalus, elder flower, devil's club, holy basil, reishi, and eleuthro as well! no added sweetner, just licorice root!

Stocki

Postby Stocki » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

CAN YOU SUGGEST HERBS FOR AN OVERACTIVE IMMUNE SYSTEM ?

Lady Alinor

Postby Lady Alinor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

What are you overreacting to....how manifesting?

Return to “Healing Wise & Herbal Medicine Chest”