Kava Kava Kombucha

Let's talk about nourishing foods...What makes you feel good? How do you nourish yourself? want a recipe?...share a recipe.

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, Lady Alinor, lori

Kava Kava Kombucha

Postby feminine_earth » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 pm

I currently have a lovely little kombucha scoby growing in a jar in my kitchen. It should be ready to make my first batch of kombucha tea in about another week.

I know that one must use some form of caffeinated tea to make kombucha, but I have read that you can mix different herbs with the caffeinated tea, as well.

So...since kava kava has traditionally been fermented into an interesting drink, I thought it might be cool to brew up a batch of kava kava kombucha.

Anyone have any experience with this?? I'll keep updating this post as the experiment continues! :D
Student Midwife and Aspiring Herbalist; always learning, always loving.
feminine_earth

Re: Kava Kava Kombucha

Postby Sashamarts » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm

haven't tried kombucha, but i'm a big fan of kava kava... for me caffeine cancels out the nice relaxed feeling the kava gives, but my husband can have kava followed by a cup of coffee and still enjoy the kava effects... so maybe that means it's different for everyone, but I thought it was worth a mention
Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust!!!
Sashamarts

Postby NateFlory » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:56 pm

oooh, that sounds lovely!
Don't have any experience with a kombucha, as I am hoping to get a scoby/starter for myself one of these days. I know someone where I used to live made all sorts of different teas and tisanes when "feeding" their kombucha, so I imagine it's personal preference, keeping it as a Simple or mixing up a custom tea blend.
"Dare to be naive."- R. Buckminster Fuller
"In a single cup of earth, Sings the mystery of the all expanding universe." - 'Cry Freedom' by GaiaConsort
NateFlory

Postby prani » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Wow, that sounds awesome! Even if caffeine cancels out some of the effects of kava kava, it'd probably still work as a muscle relaxant. You could also use decaf tea for tasty bedtime kombucha (at least, i can't think of a good reason why not!)

Let me know if/how this works...it sounds awesome!

I've heard of a lot of health benefits attributed to kombucha...do you notice any tangible difference?

One more question...a quick google search tells me that a SCOBY has to be ordered via the intertubes! Is there a way to safely make it?
We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.
-Carl Sagan
prani

Postby feminine_earth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 am

Yep, I grew my own scoby! There's a local company in my town that makes kombucha and sells it to restaurants. I bought a cup to go and put it in a jar with one cup freshly brewed and cooled black tea that I had dissolved 3 tablespoons sugar in. Then I covered the jar with cheesecloth and a rubber band, and set it on the kitchen counter. In two weeks, I had a very fat and happy scoby! :)
Student Midwife and Aspiring Herbalist; always learning, always loving.
feminine_earth

Return to Real Foods