yeast confusion

Let's talk about nourishing foods...What makes you feel good? How do you nourish yourself? want a recipe?...share a recipe.

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, Lady Alinor, lori

yeast confusion

Postby northernlight » Fri May 07, 2004 1:35 am

hi....

I am trying to figure out the difference between brewers yeast (debittered) and nutritional yeast. Are both of these available organically?

*I am wondering the benifits of feeding either to my 8 month old daughter... [?]they are aparently packed full of vitamins.[?]

Any info would be helpful!
northernlight

Postby Following Coyote » Tue May 11, 2004 4:41 pm

I don't know the difference, but I'd be wary about feeding yeast to an infant with growing bones. According to Susun, yeast blocks calcium absorbtion. Does your daughter have a vitamin deficit? If she gets breastmilk, or whole grains, she should be fine. Otherwise, a good source of B-vitmins (the ones you find in yeast) plus calcium is oatstraw infusion.
Following Coyote

Postby northernlight » Tue May 11, 2004 7:27 pm

[:0][:0][:0]

THanks for the info... I had no idea about the calcium absorbtion thing. I think I will stay away from these "nutritional" yeasts for now.

[V]I guess this is just another way to make money from a waste product.

I am still breast feeding, so I guess I'm not too worried about dd getting all the stuff she needs, just looking for an added nutritional boost.

I haven't started any infusions with the baby yet, but sounds like a good idea... is oatstraw also high in iron? The doctor keeps telling me that I should be giving her an iron supplement as breast milk doesn't have alot in it. I really want to feed her whole, freshly made foods, so I am trying to stay away from the boxed stuff. I do take an iron supplement myself, so I hope that she will get some benefit through the breast milk.

Sorry to ramble on, just worried that I'm doing the right things [:I]

Again, thanks for your reply[:)]
northernlight

Postby Althea » Wed May 12, 2004 12:07 pm

I'm surprised your doc is recomending iron supplements. Iron is one of the few vitamins you can really take too much of and it can be toxic at high levels. It's true that breast milk doesn't have a high volume, but i've read that what is there is easily absorbed by babies and so it's almost never necessary for breast fed babies, and may even be bad for them. I would recomend doing some research on this and talking to your doc again. Try putting 'iron supplements infant' into google.
Althea

Postby Following Coyote » Thu May 13, 2004 2:06 pm

I agree. Women have raised healthy babies for millions of years before any supplements were invented. And yes, once you start giving your daughter something other than your milk, it's a good idea to stick with whole foods. Most of them (potatoes, whole grains, almost all vegetables) do contain good amounts of iron, but never too much.
Following Coyote

Return to Real Foods