prostate

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

prostate

Postby Ella » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:09 am

Does anyone have any herbal suggestions to treat prostate enlargment beyond saw palmetto?
Ella

Postby wildflower » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:31 am

Pumpkin seeds... lycopene (the pigment in tomatoes... highest when the tomatoe is processed as in the form of tomatoe juice, tomato sauce, or ketchup). Also, evening primrose oil, buchu, cornsilk, cayenne, tansy.... I can think of more, but I would only use one or two at a time.

I hear the most about lycopene, pumpkin seeds, and saw palmetto... but I do hear some about Tansy, which is supposed to strengthen and tone the area, and agrimony.

Also I would drink red clover infusion to make sure it doesn't get cancerous.
wildflower

Postby wildflower » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:44 am

I just read another piece of info that you may like... Avacados have a compound called beta-sitosterol which makes it good in treating enlarged prostate.
wildflower

Postby Ella » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:24 pm

Thank you both.
Has anyone heard about using (epilobium parviflorum)small flowered willow?
Ella

Postby scottc » Sat May 20, 2006 2:11 am

Also Probiotic supplements help, with the colon and prostate being in such close proximity having healthy colon flora also really helps the health of the prostate, Pharmacutical Antibiotics and other chemicals that have made there way into our food and water (pesticides and herbacides, and antibiotics fed to animals) kill the bacteria thats supposed to be given to us from our mothers that was supposed to thrive in our intestines for our life times and throw all that out of balance, from what i understand unless you are an infant the bacteria in Yogurt and Kefer do not make it past the stomach acid, the only ways to restore these bacteria is by either consuming supplements that feed the good bacteria that is still around like FOS (fructooligosaccharides) or sweet whey or combining that with taking enteric coated (so they make it past stomach acids to where they need to be) probiotic supplements that contain the healthy bacteria

first time i was diagnosed with prostatitis and told that my prostate was enlarged i was 13 years old so I have been dealing with it for a long time (and at least a dozen doctors that refused to help stating that im wasnt old enough to have those problems, i know of at least one 32 yr old who is now dead likely from doctors ignoring his symptoms as well) i notice that enteric coated probiotics help reduce flair ups and more reciently ive started eating at least an ounce of ground pumkin seeds a day, I have also had speedy success with flairups with supplements that combined a combination of saw palmetto and pumkin seed oil but the supplements that i have bought of this combination are expensive and so unfortunately i cannot afford them all the time, but i know they help the urinary symptoms of an enlarged prostate get better with the saw palmetto, the probiotics help if prostatitis is involved as well, with prostatitis the pain from the prostate radiates to the tip of the penis and is felt as stinging during urination, the probiotics help end that symptom, the pumkin seed and saw palmetto make it easier to pee

Dried Saw palmetto berries are really hard and thus hard to work with. i destroyed a brand new coffee grinder trying to grind them if anyone has any tips i would like to know, I have seen it sold somewhat ground but i would like it finer than what fronteer herbs does, at this point i plan to stick to just buying standardized extract of saw palmetto cause i have no idea how to prepare these berries, the fronteer herbs jars in the bulk herbs section of the food coop i go to talks about making tea but what i have read has said the needed oils are not water soluble so thats out, I need some sort of heaver duty grinder i guess

I will likely try the tansy and maybe the EPO and avacados are just good anyway ;) I think i was spammed by emails at some for a supplement touting flowered willow or some other flower that was supposed to help but have never pursued that
scottc

Postby umble1 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:46 am

Scottc spoke of his difficulty grinding saw palmetto berries[wrecked his grinder]. In Oregon there is agood source of organic powdered at Pacific Botanicals.They will send a catalogue if you call them at 541-479-7780. Mine lists the price at 12 per lb.
I worked with it doing a case study whilst taking herb classes. Having pre-powdered also eliminates some of the strong fragrence that comes with working with this herb. Its one of those interesting plants that often smells sweet to one that needs it and repulses those that don't. Women have told me it makes them gag. For me,although not repulsed, I did prefer to tincure it outside as it was kind of overpowering. The man I prepared it for[who had an advanced case of prostitis] first reaction was a long contented"aaahhh",as he deeply inhaled its mighty fragrence. Most interesting.
Another tid bit I came across suggested using 100% alcohol tincturing Saw Palmetto. Can't say if thats the best way or not but I made it that way with good results. Hope it works well for you.
umble1

Postby scottc » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 am

that is a really good price from what ive seen. And personally i find the smell of Saw palmetto berries a bit unpleasnt as well though i know i need it, It is tollerable to me but definately not an ahhh like smell.The pumpkin Seeds on the other hand if i dont eat them i miss them. The first time i bought a saw palmetto supplement i wondered if it had gone rancid because i so didnt like the smell I called enzymatic therapys number because there was no expiration date on the bottle but who ever i talked to on the phone said from the batch numbers that it was not and old bottle. Taking the gel tabs from that bottle really brought relief though. but those supplements are pretty expensive and thought i dont distrust that company i just perfer a direct connection to the raw herb when ever possible.
scottc
scottc

Postby Alchemille » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 pm

My father is having a similar problem right now...We are very worried because there is a history of prostate cancer in the family.
So I'm doing a lot of research and I stumbled on this 'Men's Health Tea' which supports the heart and prostate gland:
2 parts hawthorn berries, 2 parts oat seed and/or oatstraw, 2 parts nettle leaves, 2 parts cinnamon bark, 1 part fenugreek seed and 1 part ginger root.
You may want to consider selenium supplements. I'm currently reading an article in the current issue of Well Being Journal entitled "Selenium heals cancers: bowel, prostate, skin...".
In the article they talk about a man who was a "suspected prostate cancer victim...He has been on the selenium treatment, and recently was given a medical all-clear"...(The article is 2 pages long; a natural source of selenium are Brazil nuts).

Hope this helps,
Alchemille
Alchemille

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest