Nutritional Yeast has added vitamins

Let's talk about nourishing foods...What makes you feel good? How do you nourish yourself? want a recipe?...share a recipe.

Moderators: crystal woman, Movlin, Lady Alinor, lori

Nutritional Yeast has added vitamins

Postby Solea » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:51 am

I didn't know about the supposed benefits of nutritional yeast (since I am an omnivore), until recently, but now that I am 46 and beginning menopause I am trying to only eat local and non-hormoned meat or vegetable sources of protein.
In herb class last night they mentioned nutritional yeast and I thought, now's the time to get into it.
But when I went to the health food store the first thing I noticed on the bin is the ingredients: yeast, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6) one other B vitamin that had the word hydrochloride in it, and the synthetic name for the other 3 B vitamins....
Now I thought N.Y. was supposed to be "all natural" and healthy for me...So I asked about it, they looked at the bag (It's Red Star-about the only manufacturer out there)
So I went to the Red Star website. It's sister company makes "Flavor enhancers" like MSG (which is made on the same sugars as Nutritional Yeast is) food dyes and other things...
The yeast used in Nutritional Yeast is the SAME yeast used in breadmaking, BUT
and this is a really big BUT to me...
The Nutritional yeast is made by growing, harvesting, washing, and then...
from the RedStar website:The yeast is "heated by means of a heat exchanger and held at pasteurization temperatures for a period long enough to kill the yeast. During this holding period, the necessary vitamins, and/or minerals are added to meet the requirements of the specific type of nutritional yeast produced. The yeast is then drum-dried..."
So the yeast is DEAD, (no good probiotics) and the Vitamins are ADDED!
Many, Many websites sell RedStar yeast. One website touts that "...nutritional yeast is made from a natural fermentation source and not from a synthetic or animal source, it contains enough vitamin B-12 to fulfill a daily requirement.
But this feels like false advertising. All of the Veg-heads I know swear by the stuff as a superfood. It's just dead protein with added synthetic vitamins. It's a processed food.
I could just as well take a vitamin and a protein pill and be done with it.
I guess I am dissapointed.
I've checked my fermented food book, but not seen anything that would really supply good plant sources of protein.

So, I really just wanted to get that info out, in case people thought (like I did) that the N.Y. had super properties...
And if anyone has other ideas on sources of plant protien, I'd love to hear them. (I DO know about protein combining.)
I did hear something about natural and older, heirloom versions of corn being soaked in something (lime?) and then cooked with beans, as opposed to commercial corn tortillas and beans...but ???
Solea

Postby feminine_earth » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:26 am

I'm a vegetarian who does NOT eat nutritional yeast. Every time I ever opened a bottle of it (it's called for in a cat food recipe that I use for my kitties), it would puff up and get all in my nose! Yuck. Not appealing to me at all, and I don't really like the smell either.
Student Midwife and Aspiring Herbalist; always learning, always loving.
feminine_earth

Postby Riverine » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Adding good vitamins which most women are deficient in does not making a product less natural, just more nutritious. I'd rather have some nutritional yeast on popcorn or grains than to take a very processed vitamin pill (they make me nauseous often) any day. I don't think the product has ever claimed to be be active yeast with pro-biotics. Perhaps you just had an idea of what it was supposed to be, which has turned out to be inaccurate. You sound mad about it, which I'm not quite understanding.

I love it and think it more delicious than parmesan.
Riverine

Postby Grey » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Well... I do not care for added vitamins or nutrients at all.
If you eat real food, you get all the vitamins you need. It's the processed crap that needs added vitamins, and it's well documented that these supplements are not guranteed to be the best thing for you compared to the real thing, being that they are synthetic.

It is only one B vitamin that we vegans are likely to not get from fruits, grains and veggies, but we can still get it if there is a little dirt left on our potatoes. (I'm not saying leave dirt on your food purposefully, but a little apparently does not hurt you any).

I have never bought nutritional yeast, it was on my list of things to try. But now that I know the yeast and probiotics are dead, and that the good things are added, I think I will pass. Recipes have tasted just fine without.
Grey

Postby Solea » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:52 am

Riverine,
I guess I was a little mad, and in retrospect, I guess that was at my own assumption.
It just feels like it's as processed as a vitamin pill, and although tasty, I probably will stick to other things for protein.
It sure does open my eyes to assumptions though! :)

Solea
Solea

Postby sapphire kate » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with dead yeast in general - bread has dead yeast in it once it's cooked. But, yeah, the way they are doing it sounds naff.

And I agree that synthetic added vitamins are not primary foods. One might need them at a medical level but not if they eat well. I prefer to get my vitamins from nourishing infusions.

Solea, I'm not sure what you mean by their not being many vegetable sources of protein. There are huge amounts of info out there on protein for vegetarians.
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby guaba » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:46 am

Hi Solea, Frontier Co-op has Nutritional Yeast.

Check it out @

http://www.frontiercoop.com/dspCmnPrd.p ... l&ct=dfmhf

It doesn't seem to have the "added stuff" that RedStar has.
guaba

Postby Solea » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Oohh, THank you!!

Solea
Solea

Return to Real Foods