recurring sinus infection

If you have a specific health question you want asked, here is the place to do it! Write the nature of your question in the subject line, so everyone will know what the topic is, and then anyone who has knowledge in that area can respond to the question!

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, Lady Alinor, Phoebetales, Community Herbalist, Kaitebug, gmalloy

recurring sinus infection

Postby Cloudberry » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:25 pm

Does anybody have any advice for painfull sinus infection? My son just came down with another of these painfull infections, he often gets them after a cold. It sounds painfull, to quote him - when I bend down to pick up something my brain falls down later and bruises up. We use salt water solutions to decongest, but lately nothing seems to help. The MD says he has to use antibiotics, but as he says that they seldom work I don't feel like using them. We live in Northern Europe and it doesn't seem possible to buy American plants here, at least I haven't found them yet. I just recently found this forum and it feels so right.
Blessings
Cloudbery
Cloudberry

Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:23 pm

There have been a lot of sinus infections in northeast US this winter. I can tell you what helped the people in my life.
*Facial steams with rosemary
*echinacea tincture:
excerpt from Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way, page 273:
"For those with acute infection: A dose every two hours for 1-2 days (if I don't see results in 24 hours, I get help), then every three hours for 1-2 days, then every four hours for 1-2 days, reducing to three times a day, then twice a day, then once a day for a week. If signs of infection return, I go back to a higher dose."
*strengthen the immune system:
http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Streng ... System.htm

Can you get echinacea tincture there?
Blessings,
shaUna

I am sure that soon you will have a plethora of wise woman ways to help your son.
[:)]
Anonymous

Postby Cloudberry » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:23 am

Hello shaUna and thank you for the advice. Yes it is possible to get echinacea tincture here, but I didn't know about the dosage. It works like a miracle! Thanks again. As I'm new I don't have all of Susun books yet, but they are in the post now...

Blessings
Cloudberry
Cloudberry

Postby LadyB » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:31 pm

My absolute faves for sinus horrors are LEMON BALM (Melissa officinalis) tincture (the SUPREME decongestant)and GOLDENROD (Solidago) tincture. So much so that I keep a little bottle of the two mixed in equal parts in my first aid pouch to take a dropperful at the FIRST sign of sinus pain.

Glad to hear the echinacea is working! Let him keep taking it for two weeks and then go off for a bit. It's not something to just take endlessly.

Next cold, remember to have him start the echinacea at the FIRST sign and maybe he can outrun the whole circus next time!

Oh, and actually I remember a sinus blaster that Susun taught us....Set up two footbaths and two washcloths. Put the feet in the COLD footbath and put a HOT washcloth over the face. After a few minutes, put the feet in the HOT footbath and the COLD washcloth over the face. Go back and forth a few times and you should get things MOVING again.
Good goin'!
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Postby karen joy » Fri May 02, 2003 10:28 am

This is what I understand from my recent "spring tonics" class with Susun Weed:

Mucous is our protector. It is created to protect our sensitive tissues. If our sinuses are stopped up, we want to make more mucous to get things flowing! At the time she was showing us two prominent trees here in the northeast US -- eastern hemlock and white pine. We could put some of the needles in a pot/cup with boiling water covered for a short time, then inhale the steam (not too hot please) through our nose.

For the infection, if it is bacterial, echinacea tincture is "gold" to me. I am glad you are using it. I am curious to hear how your son is doing with what you try.

karen joy
nourishing wholeness anywhere
karen joy

Postby Cloudberry » Fri May 02, 2003 1:47 pm

Hello and thank you for the advise. My son is doing better, the right dosage of echinacea seems to have worked like a miracle. I don't think we have your whitepine, but I tried the inhalation from a mixture of pines that grow here, it smells so good and seems to decongest.
I'm very interested if anybody knows how to make a lemonbalm tincture at home? The shops do no have it here.
Thank you all for your help[8)]

Cloudberry
Cloudberry

Postby karen joy » Sat May 03, 2003 8:49 am

Well, I've never made lemon balm tincture -- sounds yummy.

It would be the same as any other really. You would use the fresh plant (Lady B would have to tell you at what stage she uses it, flowering or not, since she is the one who mentioned it). I would guess the fresh leaves are used before flower. You pack your plant material into a jar about twice the size of the amount of tincture you are wanting to make. How much? -- the image Susun uses works great for me, "as a fairy mattress". You pack it full and hard enough so a fairy sleeping on top won't fall through and soft enough, well, so she would be comfortable! Once packed, you fill the jar up with 100 proof vodka. I use a chopstick to poke around to release the air bubbles and fill up more. Make sure the top of the plants are covered. Cover the jar and store in cool dark place for 6 weeks. Make sure you label it with plant, vodka and date! Put it on a towel in case it seeps -- doesn't usually. You can check it in a day or two and top off as some settles in more -- or the fairies are drinking. In six weeks, strain out the material (or don't if not using right away, but if using the liquid should never go below the level of the plant). Squeeze exess out of the plant and you have your tincture!

Maybe I'll make one this year. I am curious about it.

karen joy
nourishing wholeness anywhere
karen joy

Postby LadyB » Mon May 05, 2003 11:12 pm

Yes, I tincture the fresh Lemon Balm BEFORE it blooms. Strange plant, that one, once it blooms, even the scent of it changes. It is also called Melissa officinalis. When I say it is the SUPREME decongestant, I mean in EVERY conceivable way. We discovered it was just THE answer to the specific depression that comes with Lyme disease which patients describe as feeling 'pressed down'...'jammed up'.....I've also felt it decongest MUSCLES themselves. I LOVE the stuff.

Karen's description of HOW is exactly the way I would do it. (Fairy mattress, that's wonderful!)

And yes, the take on mucous and it's NOT FLOWING is really the essence of the sinus horrors. When my sinuses get congested I also look to hot peppers. Think about it, WHAT happens when you eat really hot peppers in a meal? Your NOSE starts running...the mucous THINS out. That's why dairy is usually NOT suggested for congestion, as it SLOWS down the flow of mucous.

Hope he's feeling LOTS better already and you can PREVENT the next one!
LadyB

Lady Barbara,
www.ladybarbara.net
where gypsies and goddesses bellydance
and Healing Happens!
LadyB

Return to Health & Wellness Questions Answered Here!