black walnut for cats?

Discuss all aspects of herbal medicine and weed wisdom with other wise women and green witches...share harvesting tips, remedies, and personal experiences. Green Blessings to all!!! Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusion http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm

Moderators: Allie, Lady Alinor, Tamara, Phoebetales, Joanne, Community Herbalist

black walnut for cats?

Postby Anonymous » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:56 pm

hello,

i did some reacherch about natural remedies for cats with worms and found a company that sells natural medicine that you can put in the cats food and it will take away the parasites.
it was on www.avainmedicinechest.com
when i asked what the ingredients where the answer was this; black walnut and ditamation ( a very fine powder from a micriscopic animal that has sharp edges that cuts the skin of worms and flees) the "coinsedense" was that i have both ingredients in my housse already.
does anyone know how many drops of black walnut tinctior i should put in my cats food/ water?
he needs to get help soon. he has weak kidneys. and cant handle poison stuff.

thanks krista
Anonymous

Postby GrannySam » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:26 pm

krista,

I would not give alcohol based tinctures to cats.

Diatomaceous earth is great for parasites. Make sure you use only the CODEX or "food grade" DE, not the stuff that goes in pool filters.

The link you gave doesn't work. Try www.avianmedicinechest.com

Blessings,
GrannySam

Postby Judy L » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:20 pm

Hi Krista,

Do you know what kind of worms your cat has? Is it tapeworm?
White tape like strings on the back end. Roundworm?

Black Walnut can be used to effectively treat tapeworm but should be used with caution. ( Tilford). You should be able to find it in a glycerite if you don't want to use a tincture.

Avena Botaincals sells a deworming vinegar for roundworms and tapeworm. Their site is www.avenaherbs.com. I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet but looks interesting. Contains sothernwood , rue, aloe vera, black walnut and garlic. You would need to check to see if the herbs are safe to use in a cat with kidney concerns. They also give dietary suggestions and other facts.

Anything you give wether medicne or herbs is going to be strong because of the purging action. The pill the vets use is cestax and works within 24 hours. I imagine the herbs will take longer to work. From what I've read you would need to follow the protcol for almost a month.

Here goes my 2 cents... From a quality of life issue...if your cat has a weak system.. is it easier on the cat to take a pill and be done it with it realitively fast , possibly less stress on the body or go with natural remedies that take longer and may harder on your cats system. I don't know, just sharing some thoughts. Let us know what you find.

Good luck. Blessings to you and your kitty,
Judy
Judy L

Postby Lady Jane » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:07 pm

Some of what I've read here has me very concerned. It doesn't sound like anyone is really sure how to dispense these herbs, whether they will actually work or even if they are safe for cats. I didn't know there was such a thing as food grade diotomaceous earth. What I do know is that there are warnings about not letting pets ingest it when using it for gardening. I'd also never buy anything to medicate my beloved pets from a website I knew nothing about. Goddess only knows what you'd be getting.

I've had cats most of my life & have been involved in feral cat rescue for several years. I've treated a great many cats for worms --all with simple to administer pills or liquid dispensed by my veterinarian. As much as I totally believe in using herbs for healing, I don't think we should be experimenting with them on our pets.

Many things that are perfectly safe for humans & even very beneficial are not good for animals. Garlic, for example, can cause a blood disease in cats that can eventually kill them. If you're going to medicate an animal using herbs, please follow the suggestions in one of the many excellent books on the subject written by people who know what they're talking about.

"Dr. Kidd's Guide to Herbal Cat Care" by Dr. Randy Kidd is an excellent book which others on this site use as well as myself. Another is "Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats & Dogs by Dr. Richard Pitcairn." There are many others.

Personally, I think Judy's suggestion of just giving your cat a couple of pills is by far the best course of action. You'll need to take a stool sample to your vet to determine what kind of worms the cat has. One dose of medicine is taken immediately to kill the adult worms. This is followed by a second dose in a couple of weeks to kill any new worms that hatched from eggs left in the cat's system. It's really very simple, relatively inexpensive & quite safe.

Please don't dispense medication of any kind to your animal friends unless you really know what you're doing. Your furbaby could end up in worse shape or, Goddess forbid, even dead.

Blessings,

Lady Jane
Lady Jane

Postby GrannySam » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:24 pm

Hey,

Sound advice Lady Jane.

I thought I'd post a URL about Diatomaceous Earth. I've used it for years and have had good results on fleas and *some* worms. It doesn't touch whipworms, found that out the hard way. [:(] The CODEX grade is quite safe. This article goes into great detail, and is what I refer folks to who ask me what I use for worms and flea control.

http://showpoultry.com/bpf/products/de/rant.html

Blessings,
GrannySam

Postby wildflower » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:41 am

It sounds to me that ... how do I say this (I just woke up)... that there is generally something not going right with your poor cat. If your cat has weak kidneys and worms... well... I mean I am just wondering why you are only focusing on helping him only with the worms? Weak kidneys is just as serious as worms... and what about his liver? If his kidneys are weak, then so might his liver, as the two are related. The worms could even be related to the kidneys and the liver if you take into account "the whole cat" and consider that generally his system seems weakened. If his liver is weak, I wouldn't even really trust to administer herbs or anything myself. Some herbs, like black walnut and rue, are strong and can cause adverse affects when taken in too large quantities. The dose for humans is small. I am sorry if this seems harsh, but your cat sounds really sick and I think you should take him to the vet. Is there a holistic vet in your area?
wildflower

Postby sapphire kate » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:33 am

Sorry I've only skimmed the backlog. Here's a couple of resources that focus on addressing underlying health as a way of preventing and treating worm infestations:

Dr Pitcairn has written a book. I can never remember the name. Type it into the search function of this forum and you'll find other threads where it is recommended. Or try google.

The other book is by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. Ditto about searching for the title.

Both books also give remedies for worms in cats and dogs.
sapphire kate

Return to Herbal Medicine Chest