bath salts and other quick bath goodies...

Let's talk about Wise Woman body care and physical wellness. Share natural health and fitness tips, articles, and advice on how to love and care for your beautiful body from head to toe...

Moderators: Movlin, Allie, LadyB, Lady Alinor, Community Herbalist, teatime, gmalloy

bath salts and other quick bath goodies...

Postby sapphire kate » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:33 am

My favourite bath additive is oatstraw infusion. However it takes a bit of forward planning on the day (needing 4 hours to brew). I'm wanting some bath salts recipes or similar - things I can make up and store and then use at short notice.

Any suggestions (but PLEASE no essential oil recipes, as I won't use them)?

Vinegars? Dried herbs? Infused oils?

Also, I have alot of dried yarrow that needs using up - anyone used this as a bath herb?

thanks,
kate
It's all good (except for the crappy bits).
sapphire kate

Postby Ananda » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:32 am

Hi SK!

The Oatstraw infusion sounds soooo soothing.

Are you thinking strictly herbs? My thought was to have on hand either powdered milk or buttermilk on hand. It's soft and soothing and wonderful with a little honey too.

Hmmmmm, how about something that infuses more readily like Chamomile or Lavender blossoms? I have used Yarrow in the bath before, mostly for people who are itchy from excema or ivy, but it could be useful for acne too, or just plain nice to bath in :)

I personally don't like soaking in herb vinegar because I feel like a bowl of salad.

Also, maybe you could make some oatstraw infusion and freeze it in paper cups that way you can just plop one in when you're ready to bathe? just a thought.

XOXOX
A
Ananda

website: www.plantjourneys.com, http://www.amritaapothecary.blogspot.com,

Postby sapphire kate » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi Ananda : )

Yes, I was thinking of not just strictly herbs. I don't really know about the other kinds of ingredients - have never figured out what bath salts are! - so am interested in ideas.

I tried freezing a 2 litre bottle of oatstraw which of course took ages to thaw, but the freezing in cup amounts sounds great!

I was thinking of some kind of powder that I could make up and then have stored and then just add to the bath when I felt like it. Maybe dried, powdered herbs, oatmeal, 'salts' (whatever they are), etc. I just need recipes, or ideas about amounts and ingredients. I read another thread about the dried milk which sounds interesting.

With the yarrow - did you infuse it first, or add it straight to the bath?

The other infusions sound good esp. lavender. Or rose! It's still the time and mucking around with the infusion, which some days is fine. Other days I want something extra easy (like shaking something from a jar into the bath).
sapphire kate

Postby Ananda » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi!

Bath salts are often just epsom salts. Sometimes they are special salts from places where they are high in healing minerals, ie; 'dead sea salts' etc. They can get expensive. I like to mix 2 cups epsom salts with 1/4 cup of Borax and 1/4 cup kaolin clay to make a bath salt base. Then I add EO"s but you can certainly leave it plain as you wish!

For the Yarrow and the other blossoms, even oats, I like to fill a muslin baggie (like a giant tea bag) and then I hang it under the faucet and it infuses while filling. Then I squeeze out the baggie as I go along and it's very nice. If the muslin bags aren't available, a stocking or washcloth works too. You can make several of them ahead of time.

If you want to 'shake something from a jar' as a ready-to-use-option, perhaps the salts will do, or the powdered milk, but I also thought a fragrant honey/glycerine infusion could work. Like the Rose Honey Perssimon made? Just a thought. Red Turkey oil is also a wonderful thing to have around as it is water soluable. Will have to aks Aimee if you can make an herbal infusion with it, I am not sure.
Ananda

Postby sapphire kate » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:59 am

ok. I don't really know what epsom salts are, or borax, but I can go look that up online when I get the chance. I could probably add powdered rose petals or lavender to the bath salts mix.

What is Red Turkey oil?

And what kind of quantities of honey would you add to a bath, or mix?
sapphire kate

Postby Ananda » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:37 pm

Red Turkey oil:

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/ ... =oilturkey

Epsom salts are just mineral salts that you can buy at any grocer or pharmacy in a carton, like a milk carton, and it's usually under $3.00. It is great for soaking sore muscles in. Powdered Rose petals would be lovely!

In a bath I'd add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of honey :) or the same amount of a milk powder. It's not that important really, just add what float's your boat.

XOXOXO
A
Ananda

Postby Luminous » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:17 pm

The only problem with adding fine pieces of herb in the tub is if you use an oil it leave a nasty scum.

I added some petal bits to some bath bombs and, while lovely, the pink ring of nastiness left behind will stop me from ever using whole herbs with any kind of bath oil project.

When I use bath herbs in a bag I run a couple of inches of the hottest water the faucet will provide and let it sit for 10/20 minutes and then fill the tub up with the right temp water and get in. I've found that the tea is much stronger that way. I also use the herb bag as a scrubbie.

I also mixed up a batch of "bath melts" of shea, mango, and cocoa butter and a bit of E oil and poured it in to muffin tins. Just a thin layer in each cup. My muffin pans are silicon so the just popped out. I put them in a jar with a piece of waxed paper between each. They are very portable and easy to use, just toss one into a bath of very warm water and they melt.

I use a lot of bath salts to. One thing I always find strange is the tiny amount that people use. If the point it to scent a tub a handful will work but if I'm looking for skin softening of salt, epsom, or baking soda, I use a at least a couple of cups to a tub. Enough so I can taste it in the water. I don't usually use salt in the winter because its to harsh but a mix of epsom and baking soda is heaven. My skin is so silky afterwards.
Luminous

Postby midnight1 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:08 pm

This all sounds so relaxing, I can't wait to get in the tub :lol:

Carolyn
midnight1

What about ground oatmeal?

Postby Hippixie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Grinding oatmeal in my coffee grinder or food processor and putting it in a muslin bag or just dumping it in the tub was my favorite way to bathe my little ones... sometimes with chamomile and/or lavender or calendula, too. Oatmeal is a good "soap" that way, too if it is bagged.

I rarely get to take a bath myself these days... but you know, I think I am going to right now! :D
Hippixie

Saphire Kate

Postby Hippixie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Where do you get oatstraw? I want to make this infusion.
Wanna trade oatstraw for salts? just an idea.

Thanks.
Michelle
Hippixie

Postby sapphire kate » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:43 pm

I'm in New Zealand Hippixie. Thanks for the offer anyway. There is a thread on US herb wholesalers if that's where you are.
sapphire kate

Postby Hippixie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:35 pm

Thanks. i didn't even note your locale.
Hippixie

Postby edensong » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 pm

I make bath bags using oatmeal (regular or quick), powdered milk, almond meal -- and I add EOs, which you wouldn't have to do.

Another recipe I have uses bran (or fine oatmeal), lavender flowers, chamomile flowers, and rosemary tips.
http://www.EdenSongSkinCare.com
100% Edible Natural Organic Skin Care
What is your skin eating?
edensong

Postby greeen55 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:01 am

i would recommend bath salts. There are a lot of recipes that you can find from all over the internet and its really easy to make even your kids can make it. The ingredients you'll use in making them are easily accessible with the number of online stores and they are found in your local grocery store.
Where to find bath salts and dead sea salts?
greeen55

Return to Natural Body Care